X

on the road again....and OUCH!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• on the road again....and OUCH!

well after my spill at the rally, I finally got my bike back on the road. I knew I kept that 88 1100 around for a reason.

damage to the original:

upper cowl is toast.
    one mirror is gone and the other is scuffed up.
    windscreen is scuffed up
    right front flasher is gone
    both clutch and brake reservoir are scuffed bad and need to be changed.
    fairing bracket stay is bent to sh*t
    front fender/fork brace is toast
    left front peg assy is bent to sh*t
    gas tank is caved in on one side.
    right lower fairing rashed pretty good.
    left lower fairing slightly scraped.
    real tail cowl rashed and cracked.

all things considering, damage is minimal and easy fix, except for the upper cowl.

thank god for spare parts. still need the upper cowl as I do not want to break up this body set.

took it out for a spin yesterday. all goes well except for the "stoppers" on the triple tree that keep your bars from hitting the tank. the one on the right side is broke off and my bar end does indeed hot the tank. will have to change the triple tree for sure.

The worst thing about yesterdays ride...the pain. I still have to drag my left foot up on the peg, and can only tolerate about 15 minutes of riding before my knee screams "get me off this bike you stupid SOB".

anyway....here is the bike back in riding form. doesn't look too bad, but I miss my beautiful red beast.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

that's not the 1100 you were going to part out, was it? if the fairings were that nice, what was wrong with it mechanically?
    charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

Originally posted by Rangerx52 View Post
      that's not the 1100 you were going to part out, was it? if the fairings were that nice, what was wrong with it mechanically?
      absolutely nothing wrong with it. a 50+ yr old lawyer from Ontario owned the bike and let it sit for a couple of years. the carbs gummed up and it would not run/start properly. he knows sh*t about bikes and when we got it started and it was smoking, I told him it was bad valves and rings and needed a motor job. I talked him down from $1500 to $800. the motor is fine. He is a lawyer....he lies for a living, so I did not feel the least bit guilty lying to him

all the bike needed was a carb cleaning and new fork seals to pass inspection. the ONLY reason I did not keep this bike for a daily rider is because it is an 88. It has a different rake on the front forks that makes it a bit shorter in the wheelbase. Most people would never notice this difference, but after 18 years on the 1100 kats, I do indeed notice the difference.

Comment

Mojoe...

You keep pulling these incredible bikes out of your, uh, hat. I'm wild over the black one, but there's something missing. I have two of the silver/chrome dragon decals I bought when you bought yours and put them on the 1100. They are exactly like the ones you had on the red one. Tell where to send them, my friend.
        Last edited by zuma; 08-02-2009, 01:19 PM.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I agree the red looked better but whatever gets you back on the road, right????
          Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
          Current Bikes:
          1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

sigh...I really wish Suzuki would make a modern version of these bikes.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
              Mojoe...

You keep pulling these incredible bikes out of your, uh, hat. I'm wild over the black one, but there's something missing. I have two of the silver/chrome dragon decals I bought when you bought yours and put them on the 1100. They are exactly like the ones you had on the red one. Tell where to send them, my friend.
              Hey buddy....tell ya what. hang on to them for now. I stopped at the CROT and picked up a whole new supply on my way home. So keep those ones as "back-ups". If someday you or I ever need them..or anyone else you feel worthy of the gesture, they will be there. They are safer with you. I lose sh*t. It took me 3 months to find my gps.

Originally posted by STULER View Post
              I agree the red looked better but whatever gets you back on the road, right????
              that's right...whatever gets me back on the road. yes, the red is nicer, but gotta say, when I am in my all black leathers and helmet...well, I think it coordinates better

oh...and you know what the highlight is of this situation? my seat. I am soooooo happy it fared ok. it sticks up there. it could have easily been trashed. I am not sure why it wasn't. the top of my windscreen got it....and so did my tail fairing, but not a mark on the seat. that seat is irreplaceable to me. it fits me perfect and have NEVER seen another one like it. It was only available one year and didn't sell. I have had it for a good 7-8 years, and it has been on a few bikes. I would have been very sad to lose it.
              Last edited by Mojoe; 08-02-2009, 02:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I really like the black with the red stripes, it's a close second to the red scheme. I find the black makes the bike look smaller. Good job on getting her back on the road buddy. Now heal up that knee!
                R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

It looks good Mojoe. I hope the knee heals up quickly for you.

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                    sigh...I really wish Suzuki would make a modern version of these bikes.

Comment

What Ed said.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
                        I really like the black with the red stripes, it's a close second to the red scheme. I find the black makes the bike look smaller. Good job on getting her back on the road buddy. Now heal up that knee!
                        Hmmmmmm.....maybe that's where ladies get the idea that black dresses make them look thinner.
                        Hey Mojoe..... I can hardly wait to see how your red rider turns out.
                        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

It is still a great looking bike.

The red was awesome, but the black looks sharp too
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

I like the black one too. Hope your knee gets better quick.
                            ~Rachel

Hope, like the gleaming taper's light,
                            Adorns and cheers our way;
                            And still, as darker grows the night,
                            Emits a brighter ray. ~Oliver Goldsmith (1730 - 1774)

What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger.

Comment

If you bike hadn't been red I would have voted for it, I just really don't like red (says the red head). Not that you needed my vote to win or anything, but a black on black or black on charcoal paint scheme would really be hot.
                              Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X