X

Roadside Fix

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadside Fix

So being my own mechanic with the bike paid off pretty big today. I was out riding by myself and about 30 miles from home I went to grab some throttle and blah... nothing. So after letting out a "FACK" that only I probably heard, I coasted into a gas station parking lot. Pretty good timing for the failure to occur.

As I got off the bike I was trying to think how in the hell I was going to get this home because I figured the throttle cable had snapped. So before getting out the cell phone I decided to open up my factory tool kit and see if there was anything I can do. I took the first couple minutes to get my gear off (was about 86-88 degress) and proceeded to take the tank off so I could get a view of things. To my elation one of the throttle cables had only slipped out of the brass holder (close to the carbs). I quickly put it back in place and buttoned the bike back up. From initial failure to being back on the road was only about 15 minutes Had I not worked on the Kat myself earlier I wouldn't have taken on the challenge of digging into it on the side of the road. It would have caused a lot of unnecessary headache in arranging a ride back to home and then figuring out how to get the bike back. Anyway, moral of the story is don't be afraid to dive into your own bike while in the safety of your garage because it may help you out two fold in the future.
    -2000 "750"

Great advice...I agree 100 percent doing your own work pays off big time. Not only in the manner that you say but it keeps cash in your pockets when it comes to small repairs also. Once you start doing the work yourself it really turns out to not be that difficult normally. Plus you have all of KR to help you out if you hit a snag.

Comment

Amen.
      Attached Files
      charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

Working...
      X