X

At my wits end!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At my wits end!

Well I tore the engine out of my 750 kat so that I could fix the transmission. I spent about 7 hours disconnecting the engine, taking it out of the bike and then taking it all apart. I got the head and cylinders off no problem, then I moved onto all the little things that have to be removed in order to split the case. All was going well until I came to the signal generator, I took the cover off of it and thought "hmm, that's odd. Those are the only philips head screws I've seen in the engine so far, that must mean they aren't very tight" WRONG! I have tried with all my strength to get out these screws and I CAN NOT do it. They are now all stripped dispite the fact that I was using the correct size screw driver, I then tried one of those extracters. After breaking two of those I gave up that idea as well.

What do I have to do here? Have I really come this far to be stopped by three philips head screws? I need ideas. Please help.

Always, ALWAYS use an impact screw driver on engine screws. Even if you dont need it it wont hurt anything. The opposite, well you found out.

'95 GSX750....bone stock, for now....

Comment

Originally posted by Ridin Dirty View Post
      Always, ALWAYS use an impact screw driver on engine screws. Even if you dont need it it wont hurt anything. The opposite, well you found out.

I don't own one

What do I do now?

Comment

I don't own one

What do I do now?

you could always borrow there's

Comment

if you can get to it with a pair of chanelocks, they have treated me very well and also taught a few stripped screws a lesson

Comment

Buy an impact driver and dremel a slot for a big flat screwdriver and use the impact driver, or try vise grips?
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

tsk tsk.....never tear an engine apart with having an impact driver handy. it's a cheap, but valuable thing to have around.

not sure you will be able to get in there with a dremel. maybe. if so, do as Chris mentioned. if you can't, my suggestion is to take it to a machine shop before you mess it up anymore. they shouldn't charge you much to take them out.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

There's the option of drilling them out.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by downsouth View Post
                  I don't own one

What do I do now?

you could always borrow there's

buy one
                  Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                  Current Bikes:
                  1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

the stupid part about that, is that phillips head screws were designed to strip. thats their whole purpose. In the fledgeling days of the automotive industry, most screws were found to be severely overtorqued, so the phillips was designed to strip before excessive torque was applied to the screw.

hex for the win
                    charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

Originally posted by Rangerx52 View Post
                      the stupid part about that, is that phillips head screws were designed to strip. thats their whole purpose. In the fledgeling days of the automotive industry, most screws were found to be severely overtorqued, so the phillips was designed to strip before excessive torque was applied to the screw.

hex for the win

Wow, I just thought some guy got tired of his screwdriver sliding off of the screw.
                      '01 Katana 750
                      '96 Ninja 250 (sold, but got every penny I put into it, back out!)
                      '83 Porsche 944

Comment

some guy did, so he made the robertson. guess what his name was.
                        charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

Working...
                        X