Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Thinking of buying a Kat (and yes, I did search for answers to these questions)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying a Kat (and yes, I did search for answers to these questions)

I'm kind of surprised that there isn't a 'sticky' that lists the differences between the model evolutions. I've tried to research this, and other than cosmetics the only thing I found was wider rims in the current model. Is there a model history somewhere? Perhaps the differences are minor enough to be meaningless, except...

I have to wonder why are the pre-98's so poorly supported in the aftermarket? I'm on a tight budget and the 750's in my area that are in reasonably good shape and within my price range are all pre-98's. So I went looking for some things I thought would be minor after-market alterations -- like bar-risers, a taller windscreen, a rack maybe -- to get a little more comfort for longer rides. When I can find stuff, it's almost without exception specifically listed as fitting post-98 bikes.

Should I avoid the older bikes? Are there any substantial differences between the model years?

Thanks for the info -

(not a Kat owner yet, but looking at a '93 tomorrow...)

The reason there isn't much about the evolution is that the Katana never evolved that much. It adapted a bit, but has always been a sport touring bike with a little bit older (read: much more reliable) set of technologies. The 750 is more tour oriented than the 600. Pre vs. post is 99% personal preference for looks. The engines, frames, and suspensions are pretty much the same. There is little aftermarket support for the pre 98s because they are at LEAST 12 years old. The 93 you are looking at is 16 years old. Thats almost as old as I am.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. It seemed like since the bike appears to be minimally changed over the years, more stuff would be able to fit the older models. I guess when looking at the older bike I'll have to either accept it for what it is, or save up for something newer.

Comment

MotoKato... there is stuff out there for the pre 750's. You just have to look in specific places. We have members on this site that have luggage racks or saddlebags on their pre Kats. Look through the "touring 411" section of this site and you should find some info.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
        who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Thanks Court93kat, I'll take a look over there.

It appears that a lot of young riders get a Kat for their first bike. All of the used one's I'm seeing have minimally been dropped, some slid, some on both sides. And as far as maintenance history, forget about it - nonexistent. They seem like bikes people hold onto for a couple of years, and then sell. So a mid-'90's might have had a half dozen owners. The first few owners may have garaged them and taken good care of them, but with each successive owner the price goes down and the level of trashing goes up.

I kind of see the 750 as a simpler less expensive (to purchase, maintain, and insure) alternative to a VFR, but it seems to have drawn a completely different crowd than the Honda does.

I'll keep an eye out for an older, clean reasonably priced and mechanically sound example, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            The 93 you are looking at is 16 years old. Thats almost as old as I am.
            I got a chuckle out of that one.

Twisted Throttle has some stuff listed for the Pre's, not much but some.

Gustafsson Plastics have some screen options.

Industry leader in aftermarket and custom motorcycle windscreens. We will bring your windshield ideas to life!
            Last edited by squiggy; 07-31-2009, 06:34 PM.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Get a post. pre parts are somewhat hard to come buy but not impossible. you just have to know where to look. parts for posts are a lot easier to find and cheaper
              Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
              Current Bikes:
              1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

buy mine - 2002 -600 ..14,000 miles ...$2,800 .. never any problems
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X