X

bullcrap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bullcrap

why are kats overweight and underpowered. several websites say that my 96 750 has around 93 hp and weighs around 530 550 wet. my buddies gsxr 600 weighs around 480 and has a 100 hp. either i'm getting bad info or this difference seems very stupid. i don't know how accurate his info is about his gsxr but if it's right i should have done some investigating before i bought my kat for a 1000 dollars. i know it's a good deal, but i thought getting a 750 would get me a faster bike. i'm pretty new to bikes and didn't know anything about katanas. i had a 96 600 bandit before i got my kat. don't take this i wrong i love my kat, but i thought a 750 would be faster.

Yo......google and read........ you definitely have some bad info.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

wikipedia Katana and all the stats should be on there
      1999 Katana 750

Comment

i looked

i checked google and wiki, i seen 83 to 100 hp and nothing about weight.

Comment

I think mine weighs in at 431 lbs. I rather doubt your 750 is heavier.
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I weighed my 2001 Kat 750 at Wheelers Performance while attending the rally.
            with a full tank, it was 501lbs.

as an aside, Neros Kawi ZX14 was 529 wet.

the differences here are:
            water cooled (kat is oil cooled)
            fuel injected (kat is carbed)
            higher performance engine design (lower performance but greater reliablity is the Kat)
            extensive use of aluminum for lighter weight (kat has steel frame)

biggest reason the kat is heavy and underpowered... its a sport touring bike, designed with old tech for greater reliability, and low cost.

there ya go.

See My Garage for mods...
            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
              biggest reason the kat is heavy and underpowered... its a sport touring bike, designed with old tech for greater reliability, and low cost.

there ya go.
              This. If you wanted the fastest piece of latest technology:

A.) You really bought the wrong bike
              B.) You should have done your homework
              C.) You should have spent about 5x more than you did.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by jlc_84 View Post
                i had a 96 600 bandit before i got my kat.
                The Kat and the Bandit are siblings. Similar in technology and construction.

No way is the Kat going to compete, whether on paper or on the road, with a GSX-R. Even though the Kat's lineage stems from the old-school GSX-Rs.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Take it to the tracks see if you push to it's limits... I dunno.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by acraze View Post
                    Take it to the tracks see if you push to it's limits... I dunno.

I don this and believe you me it most definitely can hang with the best of them ok it’s not the lightest or the fastest but that all depends on what you can do with it that counts

Tok

Comment

Its all about the riders skill and control. Everyone I ride with has a zx6r,r6,r1,cbr600/1000. I am the only one with a KAT, and yes they are faster than me, "Somewhat" in the straights, but the KAT is right there with them, if not ahead of them in the twisties. Just because their bikes are faster does not mean that they are more fun to ride or a better overall bike. Also ask your buddy how he feels after a 200+ mile ride versus you on your KAT. Later and enjoy the ride....
                      Talk about droppin your bike.... How about droppin it off the trailer bringing it home from the dealer with 1 mile on it.. Yep that's me...

Comment

kats are great bikes. comfortable and fast. sure not fast as hell but i think a high 11 quarter mile is fast for any kind of vehicle.
                        Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                        Current Bikes:
                        1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by jlc_84 View Post
                          don't take this i wrong i love my kat, but i thought a 750 would be faster.
                          that 750 kat can be plenty fast enough for many folks.

so don't take this the wrong way either, but if you didn't bother doing your homework before buying, and expected the kat to be faster....well, I am not sure you belong on a gix 750 anyway. in general, I tend to believe the "misinformed" who just jump strait on a liter biker without having a clue, tend to be the kinda of dangerous squids that soon end up in a wreck.
                          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

My Kat is the first and only bike I have ever bought. I didn't know much about bikes when I bought it either, but it came HIGHLY recommended from a buddy of mine who races bikes (road course and 1/4 mile). In my mid-30's and having zero experience, he couldn't say enough good things about it.

Compared to today's SS bikes, it is heavy and relatively underpowered...but that is exactly what keeps you out of the trouble the other bikes can get you into...and quickly. The Kat is a VERY capable bike and more comfortable than a pure SS bike. With this bike, I get to push my limits a little bit at a time as well as learning the bike's...with comparatively little drama. I've pushed the bike hard enough to feel the front end slide as well as the rear end. I've scraped the pegs on both sides and can accelerate quite well (thanks to the natural resistance the Kat has to having the front end come up).

Like others have said, learn how to ride your heavy, underpowered Kat to the best of your abilities...or sell it and get a Gixxer if you need to be able to about power to weight ratios.

And in the future, research the crap out of something before you jump into it. I had the recommendation of a very experienced friend to guide me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                              that 750 kat can be plenty fast enough for many folks.

so don't take this the wrong way either, but if you didn't bother doing your homework before buying, and expected the kat to be faster....well, I am not sure you belong on a gix 750 anyway. in general, I tend to believe the "misinformed" who just jump strait on a liter biker without having a clue, tend to be the kinda of dangerous squids that soon end up in a wreck.
                              I agree, whats the difference in a 1/4 mile between a Kat and a Gixxer? a few sconds. It will probably take the average person years to learn how to ride a Kat to it's full potential, let alone a litre bike. Going straight is easy but take a guy who's never ridden twisties and he'd be way behind a Kat even if he's on a Gixxer. It's the riders ability that matters.
                              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                              X