Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Took a passenger out for the first time...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took a passenger out for the first time...

So I just had my first passenger, a lady friend needed a ride home from work and I was happy to oblige. She had ridden bikes as a passenger a few times before but I never had a passenger. She seemed to know what she was doing, leaned properly, never had a problem steering.
    But she did tell me later that the back felt like it was fishtailing. She's nervous about bikes so I kind of want to chalk it up to that, especially since I didn't feel anything. She couldn't give me more specifics than it happened occasionally but she couldn't cite specific instances when. Is there something I should do about it or should I just chalk it up to paranoia?

The fishtailing feeling may have something to do with the ergonomics of the bike. Sort of like sitting in the back of the buss... when it turns it feels like it swings out since you are behind the rear wheels.

Comment

Check your tire pressures?
      02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
      90 GSXR 750/1216
      96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
      87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
      sigpic

Comment

Think about the roads you were riding on..... Some textures on the road make the bikes sway.. IE grooved roads escpecially....

Also check tires pressure. And I think its the back of the bus theory.

ALso my son who rides with me alot says its feels the same way.

He thought it was the rear tires as well..
        So its the nature of the mild mannered beast.
        99 Katana GSX600F -03 Bandtana GSX1200F- 06 Charger Daytona R/T

The Tallest KAT Rider.. Out there! PERIOD.

Comment

I'm glad I know that the fishtailing feeling is normal, so now I can warn any potential passengers what to expect.

Comment

fish tailing...im sure thats something you woulda noticed. especially if it was your first 2 up ride. But I agree that you oughta recheck your tire pressure just to be safe.
            Joker
            The newest addition to the Family!
            sigpic
            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

It's a combination of the swingarm flex and tire shape/rim size on the Kats. Yep, your swinger flexes just a little when you hit those curves.

When running hard it means the tail feels like it's "kicking out" just a small amount as you settle in the curve, or transition to the next. It's very noticeable for the rear passengers. My wife (former barrel racer on horses) always refered to it as "taking it's seat" in the curves.

This was always unsettling a little to me. My swinger and rim mod stopped the issue, and my bike no longer does this at all.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Wow, good to know. This site rocks, btw, everyone's extremely helpful I'll tell my friend not to worry.

Comment

Interesting.... i thought my dad was just failing hard at riding with me as a passenger

Comment

Just a thought, did u bump up your preload on the rear?
                    ----------------------------------
                    1992 GSX600f
                    1976 Z400

www.cityriders.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
                    X