Whats the better ride?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the better ride?

Hello,

Want to replace my 600 engine. What's going to be a more confortable, and fuel efficient ride...I usually do longer rides and want to do some seriouse touring in the furture.

A Katana 750 or a gxr750...are they about the same in the long run. Or should I go straight for an 1100? Or is there a notable difference between a gxr 750 and a katana 750 Ie is one better for longer trips?

Cheers,

Juice

The quick answer is the only difference between a Gixer motor and a Katana motor is the cams and the carburetors that came on them. The more in depth answer is only the 89-90 Gixer motors are the same as the Katana motors. The Gixer 750's prior to 89 and from 91-92 actually had a smaller bore and a longer stroke. The Katana 750 and the 89-90 Gixer motors have larger diameter pistons and a shorter stroke. The short stroke motors only lasted those two years in the Gixer because they didn't do very well on the race track. The Katana kept the short stroke motors (some feel)because they develop their torque in a lower rpm range. Different people have different opinions on this, but if you are looking for a motor it is good information to know. The 1100 oil cooled motors are becoming hard to come by as drag racers snatch them up pretty quickly to build race motors with them as do people building go-karts. The Bandit 1200 motor is another possibility that is almost a direct fit. There is a thread under the Mechanics section of this site that covers engine swaps and what is necessary to make them fit. Essentially they are bolt in motors, but there are a few things that have to be worked out with the swap. The Bandit 1200 or B12 is a VERY torquey motor that will pick up the front wheel very easily.

If you are looking for a relatively easy swap in with minimal modifications to do, a Katana 750 motor would be my vote. Also, another option would be to seek out a complete 750 Katana as the suspension is a little bit better for the longer rides. The upper triple tree is also taller to sit you up a little bit more upright. The pre-98 600's were built to be a little bit sportier and not as 'tour-worthy' as the 750's were. If you really want the cadillac touring machine of the Katana line, seek out a Katana 1100. I have seen a couple on this site in the for sale section. Just a thought.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
    who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

Originally posted by Court93kat View Post
      The quick answer is the only difference between a Gixer motor and a Katana motor is the cams and the carburetors that came on them. The more in depth answer is only the 89-90 Gixer motors are the same as the Katana motors. The Gixer 750's prior to 89 and from 91-92 actually had a smaller bore and a longer stroke. The Katana 750 and the 89-90 Gixer motors have larger diameter pistons and a shorter stroke. The short stroke motors only lasted those two years in the Gixer because they didn't do very well on the race track. The Katana kept the short stroke motors (some feel)because they develop their torque in a lower rpm range. Different people have different opinions on this, but if you are looking for a motor it is good information to know. The 1100 oil cooled motors are becoming hard to come by as drag racers snatch them up pretty quickly to build race motors with them as do people building go-karts. The Bandit 1200 motor is another possibility that is almost a direct fit. There is a thread under the Mechanics section of this site that covers engine swaps and what is necessary to make them fit. Essentially they are bolt in motors, but there are a few things that have to be worked out with the swap. The Bandit 1200 or B12 is a VERY torquey motor that will pick up the front wheel very easily.

If you are looking for a relatively easy swap in with minimal modifications to do, a Katana 750 motor would be my vote. Also, another option would be to seek out a complete 750 Katana as the suspension is a little bit better for the longer rides. The upper triple tree is also taller to sit you up a little bit more upright. The pre-98 600's were built to be a little bit sportier and not as 'tour-worthy' as the 750's were. If you really want the cadillac touring machine of the Katana line, seek out a Katana 1100. I have seen a couple on this site in the for sale section. Just a thought.
      +1
      If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

yea keep the bike mostly stock... and take it easy on yourself. get the direct bolt it motor. youll thank yourself in the future
        Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
        Current Bikes:
        1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
          yea keep the bike mostly stock... and take it easy on yourself. get the direct bolt it motor. youll thank yourself in the future
          ditto

Comment

really depends on what your looking for.... with any engine swap, there may be difficulties (tho the kat 750 would be very simple) the gixxer 1100 isnt that bad to install better... so if your going to pull the engine anyways, and you want to go balls to the wall... go for the 1100... if you just want some more umph, and want an easier to find, cheaper engine... go with the 750

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
            "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

Originally posted by Juice_007 View Post
              and fuel efficient ride...I usually do longer rides and want to do some seriouse touring in the furture.
              What's you fuel consumption now? Generally the larger the engine the more fuel it uses.

An advantage to the 1100 or Bandit 1200 engine is the power it has when your loaded down with touring essentials. When I did a week long vacation on the Kat into Oregon, my final destination was Crater Lake. I was climbing up Highway 138 with a completely loaded down Kat 750. It was then that having more power would certainly have been nice.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
              X