X

Commute Test

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commute Test

I will be moving about 45 miles away from my work (buying a house). So yesterday I decided to do a test commute on the Kat and see how it was.

Bottom line, it was flawless. The bike was so stable at 80+ on the freeway that I could let go of the handlebars and it would stay in a straight line.

Also, for you commuters out there, you probably know this, but if you get a sturdy tank bag (doesnt have to be expensive, just one with rigid sides) and you position it right, it makes riding on the freeway so much more comfy. I just tuck down on my tank bag, rest my elbows on my knees and just cruise. With the lower center of gravity you can almost steer the bike with your feet. Plus the wind noise was no more than if I was driving my truck with the windows down.

I am going to do some other tests by putting a small pillow in my bag along with the rest of my stuff for extra comfort.
    2006 Suzuki Katana 750
    2008 Kawasaki KX250F
    2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
    1997 Suzuki RM250

Used to do the Garden Grove - Culver City commute every day.
    Commuting in L.A. traffic is a beautiful thing!
    Where's the commute to and from?
    sigpic

Comment

my commute only takes me 10 mins but its all highway. I find if i just duck my head a little bit the wind goes over me better. If it's really windy I'll hug the tank and everything becomes smoother and quieter
      1999 Katana 750

Comment

I usually fold my left arm over the tank, and rest my chin on my hand. Not as comfy as a pillow, but it works.
        02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
        90 GSXR 750/1216
        96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
        87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
        sigpic

Comment

I ride 3 minutes up the hill

Comment

I ride with my laptop bag. The strap slung over my shoulder and then I just set the whole bag on the tank. If I need to carry more stuff I stick it in my backpack and strap it to the passenger seat with bungees. This system worked flawlessly on my trip from Phoenix to L.A. and back.

Once I get my thermo forming setup working in my new house I'm thinking of experimenting with creating a touring windscreen for my pre-kat to see if I can get the air to flow a bit more up or around because it does seem to hit in just the wrong places when I'm sitting up right.
            Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Redondo Beach to Corona.

At first I thought it was going to be hell but the combination of the carpool lane and the free for motocycles express lanes on the 91, its not too bad.

I just look at it as an opportunity to ride everyday.
              2006 Suzuki Katana 750
              2008 Kawasaki KX250F
              2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
              1997 Suzuki RM250

Comment

Originally posted by surfrider26 View Post
                Redondo Beach to Corona.

At first I thought it was going to be hell but the combination of the carpool lane and the free for motocycles express lanes on the 91, its not too bad.

I just look at it as an opportunity to ride everyday.

Not too shabby. Going against traffic, too.
                Carpool lanes are your friends.
                The CP lane on the 91 after the 110 gets kinda bumpy but they've been
                doing a lot of work around there so I might be better. I used to ride the 91
                from Compton to Beach Blvd. The offramp there is a PITA.
                sigpic

Comment

My commute to work is 8 min the engine isn't even warmed up by the time I get there!

Comment

My bike probably isn't even warm by the time I get to work. 1.5 miles. I usually pass right by and keep riding for a few minutes, then come back.
                    '01 Katana 750
                    '96 Ninja 250 (sold, but got every penny I put into it, back out!)
                    '83 Porsche 944

Comment

i ride roughly 30 miles and 20 over is I-10 into Tallahassee....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
                        Not too shabby. Going against traffic, too.
                        Carpool lanes are your friends.
                        The CP lane on the 91 after the 110 gets kinda bumpy but they've been
                        doing a lot of work around there so I might be better. I used to ride the 91
                        from Compton to Beach Blvd. The offramp there is a PITA.
                        Yea its pretty much a straight shot
                        2006 Suzuki Katana 750
                        2008 Kawasaki KX250F
                        2005 Yamaha TTR 125L
                        1997 Suzuki RM250

Comment

Working...
                        X