X

Newb Question: I think there's something wrong with my chain

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb Question: I think there's something wrong with my chain

Sorry for what's probably a really stupid question, but this is my first chain driven bike so I thought I'd double check with your guys.

I recently bought a 2001 Kat 600 for what I think was a steal ($1,600) and it's pristine except for the fact that it has 28,000 miles. I had it up on the center stand and was poking around while planning what preventative maintenance needs to be done, when I think I found a problem.

With the bike in neutral I decided to give the rear wheel a couple of rotations. Every once in a while the wheel slows down and I feel some resistance as well as hear a quick clicking noise. I rotated the wheel a few more times and paid attention the chain: the noise happens when the chain is as the same exact spot in the rotation (happens once per full rotation).

The bike has a pro-oiler installed and the chain and rear sprocket both appear to be in great condition. I took off the fairings, but I haven't had a chance yet to take the cover off to reveal the front sprocket. Judging by the fact that the noise happens once per full chain revolution, do I have some sort of issue with one of the chain links? Am I looking at a more serious problem or could this somehow be normal??

Thanks!
    Last edited by devioustrap; 07-23-2009, 12:22 AM.

Might be a link that is kinked or could be a stretched chain. Clean the chain and then oil again.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Right.

Either a too tight riveted master link or a bad link in the chain.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to add that the chain was in fact too tight (at least I felt it was significantly tighter than the .8-1.2 inch slack that the manual suggests). I loosened it and oiled it earlier tonight. Would taking it out for a ride tomorrow be safe to see if it unsticks itself?

Comment

this has happened to every chain i have had , usaly 1 or 2 links get rusted or streched too much ,
          i was in fact runing this week on a bad chain with clicking at over 100 mph and on the dragon , it still works just gets a little irritating , i made it last for many months from the firt time it got kinked till now , with alot of oiling . dont forget ull probley need a front sproket when u change ur chain , and a rear sproket can sometimes be used again , just loook at it and maybe ask someone else from a visiual look at it
          sigpic

Comment

Also check to make sure the roller is still intact at that link. I have had the same thing happen, it from what I seen, its usually a sign that the chain needs to be replaced soon along with the sprockets.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Make sure your rear wheel is aligned correctly too, a misaligned rear sprocket/wheel will cause chain to pop.
              Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
              Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                Right.

Either a too tight riveted master link or a bad link in the chain.

Comment

most likely its either a kinked chain, or a snapped off roller.... i've had both happen.... you'll be safe to ride it tho... a 530 chain has a tensile strength WAY beyond anything the kat will put on it

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                  "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

replace the chain and sprockets
                    its usually the front sprocket and chain that see the most wear but hardest to see by eye just looking at it.

you don't want that to break while riding
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                    X