New kat rider, big problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New kat rider, big problems

I need advice!

I just got my first Kat a few weeks ago and love it. I'm a first time motorcycle rider and I really enjoy riding. But here is the big problem. I purchased a 1993 kat 750. I guess because this was my first bike to buy I didn't really know what to look for. I think this bike has more issues to over come then our government. When I bought it I thought the only thing wrong with it mechanicly was that the carbs needed some work, so much for that. I finally got it back from the shop working on the carbs and they're better but still wrong, then I proceeded to break a tooth off of second gear. To add some nice oil flavored icying to the cake it has developed an oil leak between the cylinder head and the cylinder, it leaks enough to get onto the outside the the faring, and in about 5 hours worth of riding the oil level will go from full to low. Plus it's blowing black smoke, which I believe is just because the shop didn't get my carbs right (still at 25mpg), although it could be burning oil as well.

Ok now to recap that long grammatically incorrect mess above this. I have a bike that's not running right, leaking quite a bit of oil, has a tooth broken off second, and is possible burning oil as well. I'm 18 and leaving for college in little over a month, I've only been riding for a few weeks and have NO intentions of giving it up but I need to do something. I really don't want to take a bike to college that has this many problems. My bike budget consist of the bike (could possible sell or trade) around 200-300 dollars, and an iMac (could either sell or trade). I'm very mechanically inclined if you guys think I should keep her and fix the problems she has I can. I'm just worried that more stuff is going to go wrong with the bike.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

For your budget you could probably have a shop fix it. Take it to the shop and see if they can take a look at it and give you an estimate.

How much did you pay for the bike?

Comment

I paid 1500 for it, I would rather not have a shop fix it. Taking it to the shop to have the carbs fixed was the first time I have ever taked anything to the shop. I plan for it to be my last. I come from the 4x4 world and am very capable with a wrench, I've done everything from rebuilding the top end of an engine, to replacing bearings in the bottom end with the engine in place, I even regeared a rear axle and rebuilt the limited slip (that wasn't fun). The only reason I took to the shop before is because I was working 50 hours a week, I'm not out of a job but I still want the bike.

Can second gear even be fixed?

Comment

From what I have read here about the Pre's, or any year Kat for that matter, when there is an issue with the tranny, the easiest thing to do is replace the whole engine assembly.

The labor involve with splitting the crankcases and tools needed to remove components could go towards just swapping out an engine.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
          From what I have read here about the Pre's, or any year Kat for that matter, when there is an issue with the tranny, the easiest thing to do is replace the whole engine assembly.

The labor involve with splitting the crankcases and tools needed to remove components could go towards just swapping out an engine.

find a transplant motor
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I agree with squiggy and Rexazz that finding a donor motor would be the easiest. That being said if you couldn't find one and wanted a project, yes you can replace the transmission. But if your burning oil then your top end might be shot as well. Black smoke sounds like it's rich more than burning oil. How many miles on the beast?
            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Burning oil = blue smoke
              Carbs too rich or not enough intake air (clogged air filter)= black smoke

At any rate, I agree with Squiggy about replacing the engine/trans assembly instead of repairing the trans, IF you have a shop do it. If you want to tackle it yourself, I say go for it, you'll learn alot.
              02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
              90 GSXR 750/1216
              96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
              87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
              sigpic

Comment

you can find Kat engines on Ebay or Craigslist fairly cheap.
                If you take it to a shop, you gonna fork out more in repair cost than what you bought the entire bike for.
                Seriously, Get another Engine - its tons cheaper, and probably has less miles on it.

Comment

Well it looks like I should be looking for a new engine. What would be good price for a used engine? The bike has 22k on it right now, the bike actually looks good, other then needing a new windshield and mirriors it looks nearly perfect. It has a stage three jet kit, K&N pod filters :/, and V&H exhaust.

Would a 88 GSX 1100 katana engine fit in my frame?
                  Last edited by Jacobz; 07-18-2009, 06:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yes and I bet the jetting is way off and that is what's causing your black smoke.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Yeah I figured that is what was causing my black smoke. So does anyone have an engine they'd like to trade for an iMac?

Comment

Working...
                      X