X

Dropped my Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropped my Kat

On my morning commute today I was enjoying a beautiful PNW sunrise and relatively few cars on the road. About two miles down the road from my house I felt a rather substantial bug hit me in the throat and fall into my shirt (and yes, I was wearing gear too!). "Weird." was all I thought and a pretty random thing to happen since my throat was the only exposed part on me.

A few hundred yards down the road I felt something start crawling down my chest and under my right arm. Hmmmmmm.....Then it stung me. And stung me again, and again just for good measure. I started pounding where the hornet was and grabbing fistfuls of jacket hoping to squish the stupid thing as I pulled up to the stoplight. By this time I was stung so many times getting the hornet out was my priority.

Stupid me, I popped the clutch while trying to get off my bike too quickly and didn't have any hands on the bars as I was rapidly clawing at my clothing. The bike lurched and fell over on her right side. Meanwhile, I jumped onto the sidewalk and started peeling off my jacket and shirt down to skins and waving them trying to get the hornet out. Once I established that I was no longer under attack I looked up to see a police cruiser behind my bike with it's lights on and the cop laughing his *** off. I walked over to his car and explained that I just got the S stung out of me by a hornet that flew down my coat and he said "that explains it". Looking back now, I think it was probably pretty funny to watch.

Luckily, upon picking up my bike I only found minimal scratching on the fairing bump and nothing broken. Here's to dropping your bike going 0mph.

By the way, I am allergic to bees.
    -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
    -My wife

Boy that sucks, had the same thing happen to me. Somehow I managed to stop without dropping the bike.

Comment

This just happened to me yesterday! Luckily the hornet just hit me in the chest and died.

Comment

Similar incident but mine was a bee in the helmet and I didn't drop the bike. I was going maybe 15 down a residential street so I had my visor open because it was hot and no airflow makes for a not so fun ride. I half ducked when I saw the bee but evidently he had the same idea so there he went, right in to my open visor. He found a nice spot in my ear but decided he didn't want to stick around and I didn't much want him there either. Luckily the kill switch on my kick stand works otherwise I would have put it down. I didn't much care what happened to the bike when I finally got to a stop.
        92 1100 Kat

Comment

I got stung in the face 2yrs ago
          It was crazy hot out , just opened visor coming into the city
          Seen it coming like a dart
          Hit and stung me just under the bottom edge of my sun glasses
          I hit the kill switch and skidded the bike to a stop on the shoulder of the road
          All I wanted was to get my helmet off because I was not sure where it was
          I made it home about 10 minutes later, with one eye swollen shut
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Yea sorry to hear yalls bee stories. my buddies uncle was driving down a back road when a deer jump over a fence and into his lap while he was going 60mph. he turned out ok just a broken leg. but his bike was done for. the dang deer just jumped up and ran off like nothing had happend.

Comment

I know a guy whose dad was riding his harley down the highway and he got nailed in the face with a bird (no helmet, of course) and he flew back and somehow managed to regain control of the bike. I've heard multiple stories of people getting hit by birds in the chest too. And lmao, I'm sure that you looked hilarious stripping and jumping around swinging your clothes around. Wish I could have seen it.

Comment

Bugs, birds, deer, cagers....... they're all to get us. Keep riding as safe as you can all
                sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                ------------------------------------------
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

wait till one flies into your helmet!

Comment

Been hit and stung on my throat by a bumble bee, hit and stung in neck by a wasp (Another got down in my jacket and into my shirt and got me on the tummy same incident) and hit in the helmet by a large blackbird on while bikes over the years. Never went down though thanks be to the Lord.
                    If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

good write up

Sorry you dropped your Kat.
                      02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                      90 GSXR 750/1216
                      96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                      87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                      sigpic

Comment

Stung on the cheek while riding the scooter, face looked like a chipmunk for a week XD

Comment

And here I thought it was a one in a million shot...my wife thinks I should wear a turtle neck under my coat from now on. That get's the big negative just on reference to turtle neck, never the less while riding my bike!
                          -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
                          -My wife

Comment

Worst one i had was a wasp in the neck at 75mph on the freewy. Almost the entire rear half of the wasp was burried in my neck, so by the time I made it home about 4 miles away, my neck was swollen really bad. Took the wife over a half hour with a needle and tweezers to dig it all out. A couple weeks ago I swerved to miss a small bird, and it bounced off my hand and almost went up the sleeve of my jacket. Wife was on the back trying to figure out what I was doing taking both hands of the bars while we were still coasting down the road around 60mph (I was pulling feathers out of my sleeve).
                            John,
                            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                            sigpic

Comment

Had a bee (yellowjacket) hit my neck (my mesh jacket was half unzipped) riding thru my neighborhood I though I had it killed till I hit the driveway and realized it was only stunned and made its way down my tucked in shirt to my jeans. As my wife was watering the gardens chatting with the neighbor she seen me ripping my pants off in the middle of my drive way hemlet & jacket still on and me screaming like a girl under the visor, Beating at my junk trying to kill the damn thing! Yep it got me! Lesson learned the velcro neck strap stays tight from then on!
                              Joker
                              The newest addition to the Family!
                              sigpic
                              stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Working...
                              X