X

Got a ticket and almost low-sided

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a ticket and almost low-sided

So, my title issues still haven't been resolved so I am currently stuck looking at the bike rather than riding it. Today I made good progress on that and should have the title soon but two things happened recently.

1) Wanted to test my brakes...previous thread of mine explains how a friend dropped my bike and made my brakes leak fluid. Anyway...turned out to just be a loose bolt but I decided to bleed and change the fluid anyway. Got on the bike to test it out and decided to do an emergency stop. Rear tire is crap so it lost traction and the back end danced around like crazy (pretty much a rear tank slapper....grab bar slapper I suppose =P). Gave it too much rear brake after the weight had transferred.

2) Still trying to get my carbs dialed in right (pod filters, stage 3 jet kit, vance&hines full exhaust) and while riding around the neighborhood (private, no stop signs/speed limit signs....not a major neighborhood and not on public roads) I passed a cop who then pulled me over. Long story short he gave me a ticket for Operating an Unregistered Motor Vehicle. Kinda sucks, but it is my fault and I understand that. The neighborhood is private property but has public access and such. I wish the officer would've just let me go but I'm glad he didn't impound the bike.

Anyway...felt like sharing. I've finally had a chance the analyze the damage caused by the friend who dropped my bike and wouldn't own up to it.

-Brakes are fine
    -Frame is fine
    -Nasty crack in right fairing - need a replacement
    -Right turn signal done
    -Windscreen done

Finally, two quick questions: Regarding turn signals. As far as I can see the only difference between the front and rear is that the rear has a third wire...does it matter which one I get? Also, I'm assuming the 89 katana 600 came standard with "long stem" turn signal as opposed to the "short stem" variant. Lastly, are windscreens expensive? Everywhere I've looked they cost around 50 dollars...are they worth that much or is it just eBay?

Thanks,
    -Duo Maxwell
    Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

Originally posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
    1) Wanted to test my brakes... ... Got on the bike to test it out and decided to do an emergency stop. Rear tire is crap so it lost traction and the back end danced around like crazy (pretty much a rear tank slapper....grab bar slapper I suppose =P). Gave it too much rear brake after the weight had transferred.
    Crap tire or not, too much rear brake when hard on the front, will probably cause the tire to lock up on the rear. A good way to help stop this from happening when you NEED to do an emergency stop is to adjust the rear brake arm so that you have to really mean to lock up the tire for it to happen. Also, lots more practice helps...

2) ... and while riding around the neighborhood (private, no stop signs/speed limit signs....not a major neighborhood and not on public roads) I passed a cop who then pulled me over. Long story short he gave me a ticket for Operating an Unregistered Motor Vehicle. Kinda sucks, but it is my fault and I understand that. The neighborhood is private property but has public access and such. I wish the officer would've just let me go but I'm glad he didn't impound the bike.
    Laws vary state to state, but many times even if the state is not charged with the maintenance of a road, private owners (like a developement company) can invite officers to police and enforce all normal laws in the public areas.

Finally, two quick questions: Regarding turn signals. As far as I can see the only difference between the front and rear is that the rear has a third wire...does it matter which one I get? Also, I'm assuming the 89 katana 600 came standard with "long stem" turn signal as opposed to the "short stem" variant. Lastly, are windscreens expensive? Everywhere I've looked they cost around 50 dollars...are they worth that much or is it just eBay?

Thanks,
    -Duo Maxwell
    Doesn't matter on the turn signals really. Only need 2 wires for the turn signals to work as signals. Lots of after market options out there for cheap as well.

That sounds about right for windscreens... Not much cheaper to be found, unless you make your own.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Krey, you've always helped me out.

Yeah about the stop I definitely gave it too much rear brake and that was after the weight had already transferred to the front. I also stepped on it a little too fast rather than easing on it.

-Duo Maxwell
      Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
      X