Kat totaled wut do i do?!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat totaled wut do i do?!

And i didn't even do it!
    4 of us were riding today. Me and one of the other guys wanted to switch bikes just through down. I figured it'd be just fine cuz i'm riding right behind him so i knew he wouldn't be doing anything stupid. We were on a frontage road on the way to a motorcycle dealership. As we went around a corner my buddy(on my bike) hit some sand, went sliding into the curb and the bike flipped about 3 times in the air and he rolled about 5 times. We walked it to the dealership and had them look at it, i had been workin my bike earlier that day and hadn't put the plastics back on and needless to say the frame was pretty scraped up along with my Yoshi pipe. The right handlebar is broken off and the headlight assembly went flying. The service guy looking at it said that since the frame is scratched up, it is automatically totaled...... My dad said he doesn't want to report it to insurance because my rates will go up eventhough i wasn't even driving... My estimate is going to be done tomorrow morning and i don't think my friend is going to be happy with the price... What do i do? The service guy said they won't even touch the frame if it is scratched so i'm assuming they'll have to tear the bike apart and replace it if we decide to have them repair the bike?

If i let insurance total it, i know i can get a pretty good check and get a different bike, but i think my rates with skyrocket, being i'm a 19 year old male. Can i make him claim it on his insurance or does it have to be on mine?

Please help me with what i should do. Thanks in advance
    Last edited by mjangus89; 06-25-2009, 09:59 PM.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

He was so full of knowlege it's astounding
    Reading the news, my heart was pounding.
    My prayers go out to his family & friends.
    He is the best there was and ever been.
    RIP Marc "Cyberpoet" Glasgow

I would imagine it has to be on your insurance......he might also be covered on your insurance too. You would have to check the specifics of your policy.
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

Originally posted by mjangus89 View Post
      And i didn't even do it!
      4 of us were riding today. Me and one of the other guys wanted to switch bikes just through down. I figured it'd be just fine cuz i'm riding right behind him so i knew he wouldn't be doing anything stupid. We were on a frontage road on the way to a motorcycle dealership. As we went around a corner my buddy(on my bike) hit some sand, went sliding into the curb and the bike flipped about 3 times in the air and he rolled about 5 times. We walked it to the dealership and had them look at it, i had been workin my bike earlier that day and hadn't put the plastics back on and needless to say the frame was pretty scraped up along with my Yoshi pipe. The right handlebar is broken off and the headlight assembly went flying. The service guy looking at it said that since the frame is scratched up, it is automatically totaled...... My dad said he doesn't want to report it to insurance because my rates will go up eventhough i wasn't even driving... My estimate is going to be done tomorrow morning and i don't think my friend is going to be happy with the price... What do i do? The service guy said they won't even touch the frame if it is scratched so i'm assuming they'll have to tear the bike apart and replace it if we decide to have them repair the bike?

If i let insurance total it, i know i can get a pretty good check and get a different bike, but i think my rates with skyrocket, being i'm a 19 year old male. Can i make him claim it on his insurance or does it have to be on mine?

Please help me with what i should do. Thanks in advance
      I'd be swapping keys....

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Don't jump on what the dealership said. Remember that they benefit from the totalled bike when you go to buy a new one (assuming you buy new). Not seeing pics makes a judgment call hard for all the folks here with more experience than me (everyone). Do a thorough inspection on your own and take lots of pictures. Also, have your friend sign a written statement outligning the circumstances of the accident. Because you didn't report it to the police, your insurance company may be hesitant to pay out without a report #. If it were me, I would do what I could to rebuild...especially because of your age. The insurance company will rape you on premiums if you report it.

Good luck, and keep us posted (with pics!)

Cheers,
        -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
        -My wife

Comment

Id say claim it, let them total it and then if your insurance increases, then that is what your buddy owes you for as long as the increase is there, unless he wants to buy the bike..

Years ago i went to a marines wedding, afterwards some of them were hanging out and riding there bikes near by in a parking lot, one guy borrowed the other guys bike, hit a trailer hitch sticking out, fliped the bike over, I promise you, that guy BOUGHT the bike from the other guy lol

Comment

i can't exactly swap keys because it is a 1980 Honda CM400

Comment

I would think if you don't want to report it to your insurance company, I would get another frame if needed, then start replacing parts and swapping over. Double check on the frame first though. If it's just scratched, then so what. But be certain that it's not bent or there's not any cracks anywhere before you use it again. At least you had your plastic off of it. That's gonna save your buddy a lot of money!
              94 600 With a GSX-R 1100 engine. Stretched, lowered. Air shifter, Nitrous, Who knows what next...

Comment

Have your buddy call his insurance company and see what they can do in all honesty since he wrecked it even though his bike was not involved they should cover it under liability and it wont go on your insurance. If you report it on your insurance they will raise your rates, ask your company and his tomorrow.
                1992 katana 600 sold to Luke
                1993 katana 600 sold
                Bandit 1250 2007

Comment

I dropped my last Katana and the insurance company got an estimate for over $5,000. They considered it a total loss because there was (among other things) a scratch on the frame. To be safe, they required a new frame to be installed. I ended up replacing some of the plastics and the headlight part. It doesn't look new anymore, but I got a fat check and my bike still looks reasonably nice.
                  I would check into your friend's insurance as well.
                  Nelsonind

Comment

heck yes use his insurance to fix it ...its his fault ..totaly .. ask your agent about it to start

Comment

My mom is saying that minnesota has no-fault insurance or something. That no matter what i'd have to use my insurance. But after talking to him for a while, i think i'm going to see what i can get for my bike, find a different bike around the value of my bike and have him pay for it. If i have the accident on my insurance record, sure i could have him pay for the extra, but if anything else happens in the next 3 years, they will pretty much drop me.
                      I don't wanna run that risk, so i'm just going to have him buy me one.

Comment

Originally posted by mjangus89 View Post
                        My mom is saying that minnesota has no-fault insurance or something. That no matter what i'd have to use my insurance. But after talking to him for a while, i think i'm going to see what i can get for my bike, find a different bike around the value of my bike and have him pay for it. If i have the accident on my insurance record, sure i could have him pay for the extra, but if anything else happens in the next 3 years, they will pretty much drop me.
                        I don't wanna run that risk, so i'm just going to have him buy me one.

Same way in Pa...a while back a friend of mine put mine down and my insurance was the only one that would cover it. I told him id trade for his f4i but he just paid to fix mine it was pretty minor like 800 bucks in parts and paint. Sorry about your bike man I hope you can figure it out. Also if the frame is not bent why not paint it so it looks like there is no scratched, touch it up with some putty or something if the scratches are deep. That is if you turn it in to the insurance and don't want it to be a total loss.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your bike........

I have two rules about my bike.

Rule # 1: No one rides my bike but me!
                          Rule # 2: See rule # one!

Lessons learnt in the past.

Tok

Comment

QFT
                            Originally posted by Tokalosh View Post
                            Sorry to hear about your bike........

I have two rules about my bike.

Rule # 1: No one rides my bike but me!
                            Rule # 2: See rule # one!

Lessons learnt in the past.

Tok

Comment

Originally posted by plyhockey3 View Post
                              Have your buddy call his insurance company and see what they can do in all honesty since he wrecked it even though his bike was not involved they should cover it under liability and it wont go on your insurance. If you report it on your insurance they will raise your rates, ask your company and his tomorrow.

His accident - his insurance!!

Comment

Working...
                              X