No announcement yet.
X

newbb questions!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hear go jo works on the glue oil fill should be on right side of bike behind the small oval peice make sure bike is standing straight up

Comment

Please visit Katanaoutlet.com, i can offer discount for multiple purchases.

The pre 98 sliders have been redesigned for better protection and are in production, just waiting on the final draft model.
      www.scrmotorcycles.com www.katanaOutlet.com
      Katana Frame Sliders
      The only fully tested and proven Katana sliders Rear sliders, 520 conversion, gas caps and more.
      98+ Slider are "CyberPoet Endorsed" R.I.P.
      I couldn't have done this without you.

Comment

for custom parts you make your own

Comment

Originally posted by fresh96kat View Post
          just got my 96 600 a couple weeks ago and honestly i just jumped on it without really knowing the first thing about a bike lol have some questions.

1. what octane gas do these. ive filled up 3 times so far and put premium in it but would like to know if lesser octane would be safe?
          2. i started peeling off the stickers and cant get the damn glue off lol. ive searched this quite a bit but havnt come across the best way without damaging the paint. ive discovered goo gone dont do crap.
          3. Shifting. ive realized the bike will shift fine without using the clutch so my question is do i have to use the clutch while up/down shifting? will it cause damage in the long run? if it is safe can i throttle through the shifts or should i back off to shift?
          4. whats the best aftermarket site for 96 kats? im looking for flush mount signals, frame sliders, stuff like that.
          5. how hard is it to clean the carbs? would i be able to do it safely without any experience with carbs? i consider myself somewhat handy

some help here would be awesome before i destroy my bike. sorry for my newbness lol
          1. It is ok to use 87 octane fuel in your bike, however I have found out that running premium fuel in it makes it overall run better. Spend the extra .20 a gallon and use premium.
          2. Use the 3M adhesive remover..... LISTEN TO ME ON THIS..... I used the wd40 and all other stuff and it started to remove my clear coat and paint. i used the 3m adhesive remover and it worked great. expensive but excellent.
          3. You should NEVER shift a manual transmission without the clutch. its just not good for the tranny. dont be lazy use the clutch.
          4. USually you can find most of the parts your looking for on ebay.. i would start there.
          5. If you got no experience, nows not a good time to learn.. take it in to the shop and get it done. should cost like 200 bucks.

Good luck

Seth
          Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
          Current Bikes:
          1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            Suggest you start here (these questions are so common, virtually all of them have been enshrined in a permanent/sticky FAQ thread):

CyberPoet's Newbie FAQ Thread

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet

Why aren't you riding?!?

>=o)

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
            -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

One question on the Tank Warning Sticker... I used a hairdryer and removed the sticker. I used Goo be Gone to remove the remaining glue. It looks pretty good, but there is a square outline where the sticker was. Would this outline be clear-coat or glue?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just don't want to damage the paint if it's clear-coat.
              OldYella
              2002 Katana 600

My Katana Project
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103012
              sigpic

Comment

My old fairings had that too. It became more obvious if the paint was dirty. I couldn't buff it out.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

It's clear coat.

The sticker actually protected the paint while it was there. The rest of the paint has been weathered a little bit.

Now that the sticker is gone, the unweathered clearcoat looks a little different than what is around it.

Comment

Originally posted by Free Coffee View Post
                    My old fairings had that too. It became more obvious if the paint was dirty. I couldn't buff it out.
                    Thanks. I had the same effect on my old tank when I removed the sticker, but that was yellow and it wasn't really noticeable. The new tank is black and it's very noticeable.

Originally posted by Wisconsin Joe View Post
                    It's clear coat.

The sticker actually protected the paint while it was there. The rest of the paint has been weathered a little bit.

Now that the sticker is gone, the unweathered clearcoat looks a little different than what is around it.
                    Thanks Joe. Not doubting that it is clear-coat, but the color is not faded at all. This is a Black 2006 tank and the color is perfect. You can actually feel the outline (making me think it's clear-coat).

I'm really only questioning this because others have stated that their paint looks perfect after they remove the sticker. I assume perfect means that you can't tell it was there to being with...
                    Last edited by OldYella; 10-07-2009, 03:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    OldYella
                    2002 Katana 600

My Katana Project
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103012
                    sigpic

Comment

For getting the sticker glue off another member here recommended cutting a tennis ball in half, then turning it inside out. It has the perfect consistency for scrubbing off the glue. It worked wonderfully and I avoided chemicals. Give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                      X