X

I have a dilema...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a dilema...

It does pertain to my Kat because I need my permit to start learning to ride. So, I just bought my bike not more then a week ago. The only problem is that I'm in the military & I don't have my permit right now to start riding legally, because I'm stationed in Virginia but my
    License
    is out of Texas. So I was wondering if anyone has ever encountered this situation before. Now the process to get my license is easy, My base offers the MSF course, so I'll just need to take that then send in the results to Texas, then Viola! I can ride. I just need my permit so I can LEARN to ride.

Wow, never thought of that situation happening to our troops stationed outside their home state. Good question, and looking forward to hopefully reading about some solutions. Good luck.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks.
      I hope there is a solution to this.

Comment

Have you talked to the DMV in virginia? I am sure you aren't the first person to have this problem. Also talk to the safety office on post, they can probably give you direction as well.
        Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Am I missing something? Can't you just go to the DMV in VA and take the permit test? If you pass they give it to you that very day...

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
            Am I missing something? Can't you just go to the DMV in VA and take the permit test? If you pass they give it to you that very day...
            Most states require a full DL to get a motorcycle endorsement. His DL is Texas.

Possible to get a instate DL as residence on the base, and then a permit?...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Most states require a full DL to get a motorcycle endorsement. His DL is Texas.

Possible to get a instate DL as residence on the base, and then a permit?...

Krey
              Hers

Comment

I'd call: TX Driver License Customer Service: (512) 424-2600

This From the TX website:

How do I obtain a motorcycle instruction permit?
                In addition to testing, applicants under age 18 must:
                • Meet the instruction permit requirements.
                • Present the completion certificate of the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8). Be advised that the MSC must be approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
                • Pay the required fee. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.40, Texas Transportation Code 521.421.
                • Pass the written and vision exam. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.51, 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.52.
                • Application must include photograph and thumbprints; however, thumbprints are not included on the driver license. 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.44, 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.45, Texas Transportation Code 521.142.
                I am currently out-of-state and want to add a motorcycle classification to my Texas license. How can this be done?
                Applicants must:
                • Complete the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course. Be advised that the course must be approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. If a military member, a MSF course may be offered on base. If not, you can complete a course through a local college or university.
                • Submit a copy of the graded written exam or a letter from the instructor stating the exam taken and grade given, and the MSF completion certificate. Texas Transportation Code 521.143.
                • Submit the required fee in the form of a check or money order drawn on a U.S. Bank, payable to the Texas Department of Public Safety. Texas Transportation Code 521.421.
                Mail the information listed above and the required fee to the:
                Texas Department of Public Safety
                Attn: L.I.B./Receiving
                P. O. Box 15999
                Austin, TX 78761-5999
                "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                  Hers

Nice one Enjay.

I could be wrong so don't quote me, but I believe that bike permits are universally recognized just like a regular DL permit but the actual test for the full license has to be done in the state of residence. I had the same question for BF when he went out-of-state for school last year. He only had his Cali permit but the same rules applied for 'Bama.

I'd double check just to make sure.

Oh... Big SoCal welcome to KR!
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for all the help.

I'm actually going to Texas at the end of this month, so I can just stop at the DMV there. I've been trying to get help from the people on base here, but they're so narrow minded with the fact that a female wants to ride & are pretty much no help to me. & since my base is so small we don't have a scheduled MSF course. It's done when there are more then 3 ppl asking to take it. So I'm pretty much on a waiting list.

Comment

Originally posted by jven9 View Post
                      Thanks for all the help.

I've been trying to get help from the people on base here, but they're so narrow minded with the fact that a female wants to ride & are pretty much no help to me. & since my base is so small we don't have a scheduled MSF course. It's done when there are more then 3 ppl asking to take it. So I'm pretty much on a waiting list.

Wow that sux! Press on gurl! Get it done, then flipem the bird as you buzz by!
                      Joker
                      The newest addition to the Family!
                      sigpic
                      stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Will do!

Comment

I'm going to Texas this week!

Going to finally get my permit!!

Comment

Originally posted by jven9 View Post
                            I've been trying to get help from the people on base here, but they're so narrow minded with the fact that a female wants to ride & are pretty much no help to me. & since my base is so small we don't have a scheduled MSF course. It's done when there are more then 3 ppl asking to take it. So I'm pretty much on a waiting list.
                            Now, what gives you the impression they are not willing to help you because you are a woman? Looks to me like they are just making sure the course will be well attended. Could you be looking for a slight where there really is none?
                            Last edited by StevieB; 06-29-2009, 11:46 PM.
                            "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

When i was in Mississippi I had a NC drivers licence. I went to the MS DMV and got a permit.
                              ...peaking from under a sleeping bag..."Hi, I'm Zuma"

I'm already in a club but we have Bombers, Fighters and Big Friggin Guns!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X