Hmmmm, what to do..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealer Issue

Originally posted by kickitjp
    It still confuses me how people afford Gixxers WTIH mods but can't afford gear....that's squid thinking to me.

Just show him the cheap spots (ebay, newenough) and call it a day.

Now I don't know if he bought this new or used but, if it was bought from a dealer, they should be responsible enough to ask if the guy has gear. If not, the salesman should almost demand that the buyer purchase a helmet, gloves and jacket. Chances are he's financing it any how and the addition of a bit of gear wuold only add $15.00 - $ 20.00 bucks a month.
    "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

I think it's really great that you want to help your new friend, but it's a big risk to take. Many friendships have been lost over much less. Why don't you print off some of the items in the Katriders Marketplace for him?
      ~ Lisa
      2005 CBR 600RR (nicely modified)
      2005 CBR 600RR Track Toy "Frank"

My motorcycle, my dogs (Piper & Capone - the Pet Bulls) and a cold beer ... what more could a girl ask for???

www.austinsbr.com and www.txsbr.com

Comment

I have a HJC CL 12 I can send your way. PM me, how big is this guy, the helmet is a xl
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Try to persuade him to get some gear. I'm sure there are people in his new club that can lend him old gear for a while if money really is that tight. I'd probably only loan him stuff that I didn't plan on using again. Since you have your own helmet and one for a passenger who may not have one, I'd probably let him use the third helmet. As for the jacket, I'd hang onto it as you plan on using it again. If he does fall or you never see him again for some reason, you'll still have your jacket. I doubt you care a whole lot about the extra helmet. Walmart has Bell helmets for around $75 (not sure how great they are, but it offers more protection than no helmet for the time being). I love my Scorpion EXO400 helmet and they retail for less than $150.

Comment

you can get a Norton real cheap
            TDA Racing/Motorsports
            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
            Who knows what is next?
            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Since its a new riding partner's friend's husband, I'd say that is sort of distant. This guy is a club member and he doesn't get pressure to wear gear from other club members? What sort of club is this?

You yourself know whether or not this guy is a close enough friend that loaning your jacket is something you'd want to do. It doesn't take forever to know if someone will be a "friend". But his attitude toward safety hints that he will not be on the same wave length as you ever.

Personally, in such a situation, if the guy went down and ruined the jacket, but it saved his skin in a big way, I'd be glad he had it on, and the jacket would have been used for a good cause.

If he kept it forever, and never even used it, and I had to pester him over and over again to get it back, and then there were hard feelings, it would have been a mistake to loan it in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                You mean Nolan ? I didn't know Norton MADE anything other than bikes , and that was back in the 60's ....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Re: Dealer Issue

Originally posted by BobKat2002
                  Originally posted by kickitjp
                  It still confuses me how people afford Gixxers WTIH mods but can't afford gear....that's squid thinking to me.

Just show him the cheap spots (ebay, newenough) and call it a day.

If not, the salesman should almost demand that the buyer purchase a helmet, gloves and jacket.
                  That would be a funny conversation. Im guessing the dealer wouldnt be interested in losing a sale over trying to tell someone they had to buy gear.

Im all for being safe, but its still a personal choice
                  Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    Originally posted by THAZKAT
                    You mean Nolan ? I didn't know Norton MADE anything other than bikes , and that was back in the 60's ....
                    yeah them too LOL

Nolan makes a OK helmet especially for the price.
                    TDA Racing/Motorsports
                    Who knows what is next?

Comment

If he doesen't have alot of money,Tell him to buy a THH helmet,They're not the most popular helmet out there,But they look nice, come DOT and/or snell approved,And prices start at around 75.00 www.thh-helmet.com/
                      97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

Originally posted by harrye
                        Since its a new riding partner's friend's husband, I'd say that is sort of distant. This guy is a club member and he doesn't get pressure to wear gear from other club members? What sort of club is this?

You yourself know whether or not this guy is a close enough friend that loaning your jacket is something you'd want to do. It doesn't take forever to know if someone will be a "friend". But his attitude toward safety hints that he will not be on the same wave length as you ever.

Personally, in such a situation, if the guy went down and ruined the jacket, but it saved his skin in a big way, I'd be glad he had it on, and the jacket would have been used for a good cause.

If he kept it forever, and never even used it, and I had to pester him over and over again to get it back, and then there were hard feelings, it would have been a mistake to loan it in the first place.
                        I know zero about this club he's in, which he also wants me to join,so I dont know if its all squids or a combination, or what. I'll probably check it out too see, but since its new, he probably doesnt know everyone too well yet.

Ive decided that as much as I wanna lend him some gear to ride, I cant let him borrow the blaster II jacket. My wife went thru weeks of shopping on ebay to find it, and if something happened to it, even if it wasnt his fault, I'd feel terrible.

I think I'll offer him my 3rd helmet, HJC, its got some dings, but still very serviceable, and see what he says. If he really wants gear so bad, I would hope he'd jump on it. New enough has a bunch of summer jackets on sale now as well, so I think Im just gonna offer to help him shop online for now. If we become friends and I join this club and its all good, then possibly I may change my mind in the future.

Thanks for the input guys !!

Comment

if you can afford too...GIVE your stuff to him...that way it is a non-issue if something happens.

You just met the guy...wait awhile...he might be a jerk. (I found out the hard way with Junior....but its too late now)

FYI...clubs are GAY! Top many rules and crap like that.

riding is supposed to be recreational...not organized by a commitee...and what are the odds of every member getting alone and being responsible.

Comment

The only thing I could afford to actually give up that I wouldnt use at some point is the 3rd helmet...but yeah, I dont know anything about this club other than they are fairly new as far as forming it.

Im considering it to find more people around here to ride w/ mainly. There are a few that I roll with, but they arent always available to ride when I am unfortunately...so we'll see what transpires... Im not so much into the whole, we have to ride this day or that day or do this group function here or there, I just wanna steal some of their members to ride w/

Comment

i can't base an answer without seeing a pic of new "friend" lol

www.vwvortex.com
                              I have nothing to say, I have no opinion. That's what I learned from 9 1/2 years of marriage.
                              Thanks to all who are serving in our GREAT ARMED FORCES from an old Navy Squid

Comment

Working...
                              X