X

newbiee needs help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbiee needs help

This sight was quite instrumental in helping us pick a first bike for my son......Thanks to all who contribute here. He is 6'8" and is close to 275lbs.This bike seems to fit him decently for his size.Anyway we bought a 2005 GSX600f with only 297 miles on it.It looks fantastic,buy seems to idle a little on the rough side.It starts ok, even cold, with choke.After warming up alittle with choke we are turning the choke off and it just idles rough and seems low.Owners manual says you can adjust idle with that black idle adjustment knob but i dont seem to get anything,or atleast not alot, when we turn it .The tach is around 900 but idles roughly between 700-1000.Throttle seems responsive....Any advice tips or help greatly appreciated

With that many miles it would seem that the bike sat a lot rather than being ridden. There's a good chance you may have to run some decent fuel-system cleaner through it. Just my thoughts.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
      With that many miles it would seem that the bike sat a lot rather than being ridden. There's a good chance you may have to run some decent fuel-system cleaner through it. Just my thoughts.
      Fresh oil should help as well.

Comment

The Katanas are a cold-blooded beast. It can run like that while it is still cold.

Do not adjust the idle screw when the bike is cold. You need to get it up to normal operating temperature, then make whatever adjustments you need.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I would clean and sync the carbs. If it sat, with fuel in the bowls, there is a good chance the pilot jet is plugged or restricted.
          Forgiveness is what defines us. For without forgiveness, humans would have annihilated themselves with endless retributions.

2004 600 Kat

Billet Aluminum frame clamps and custom delrin sliders for 98+ Kats
          http://www.burley1.ca

Comment

I would try some SEA FOAM fuel cleaner for a couple tanks
            Available at Napa in Canada , not sure where in USA but its available
            Mix as directed , comes in steel can for a reason
            Use premium fuel for a couple tanks then switch back to 87 grade
            If you are real energetic drain out what fuel is in it now before you do any of the above
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Here you can get sea foam in pretty much any auto shops, I've even found it in the auto section of the local wal mart.
              "If you aint first, you're last"

Comment

Working...
              X