X

Newbie Dilema

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't know that was possible.

I actually engineered a cell-phone based engine kill back when I had my Civic. The car wasn't really worth much, nor did I have a fancy stereo, but I wanted to create and install an extremely sophisticated security system to prove to myself that I could. It was a paging alarm with self charging self switching battery backup that would kill fuel and ignition instead of the starter. I wanted to think of something in case I got carjacked and the cell-phone kill is all I could think of.

I used a pay-as-you-go phone with no monthly bills or contract. It was on and charging all the time. If I was jacked, I would call the cops then dial the number on the phone. The engine was cut instantly as soon as the phone rang (it didn't actually ring of course). Thankfully I never had to use it as intended, but it made for some pretty good laughs when I let my frends drive the car.
    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

i'm not sure that canadian cell phone companies provide that service. i'll look into it.
      good advice though

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
        Not to jack the thread, but what do others pay for insurance? I'm paying $536 for a year's coverage on my 89 750. Is that pretty much in line with you other Canucks? Just wondering.
        I wish
        who are you dealing with for insurance?

what else do you have on the same policy?

I pay $900 for a year with RBC. I found a place last year that was $800 but I had to pay it all up front.
        RBC allows for monthly payments
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I'm with ridersplus.com (broker) it's for bikers and shops for the best rate.
          Insurance company is Echelon, I pay $947 as a new rider, age 45 on a 05 750, this is cheaper then what I could get with state farm or the company that does my house and cars.
          I think it goes down to about $850 this year.
          Blackdog
          DRz-400e plated
          Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

is that a full cover insurance? thats pretty damn good! my quote was 1200 with state-farm and that was the cheapest i could find. and i am over 25. not too sure that i tried RBC.

Comment

Ya that's full coverage with a 500 deductable. State farm quoted me $1080.
              Try Ridersplus.com you can do it online and they sent me an insurance slip (online) the same day

Hey Slofuze, what insurance company are you with, how long have you had coverage and is it full coverage?
              Last edited by Blackdog; 02-23-2009, 03:23 PM.
              Blackdog
              DRz-400e plated
              Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Working...
              X