X

katana compared to car

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonsblckhwk
    he he i know that a kat 750 can be faster than an 05 GTO so im happy! bragging right over my boss with a 40,000 sports car LMAO
    A 600cc Kat should out drag a 2005 6 liter GTO. Car & Driver shows 0 - 60 of 4.8 seconds, 0 - 100 of 11.7 sec and quarter mile at 13.3 sec @ 107 mph for the GTO. The 600 Kat's times are 4.12, 10.81 and 12.25 seconds for the quarter mile at 108.4 mph. The 750 Kat's times are 3.52, 8.67 and 11.52 for the quarter at 116.26 mph.

From my review of Road & Track's road test summery the only American made production (stock) cars that can out drag a 600 Kat are the Dodge Viper and the Ford GT. Their quarter mile stats are 12.1 @119mph and 12.2 @ 122 mph.

There are production Ferrari's, Lamborghini's and Porsches that run in the 12 flat to upper 10 range. This may be an old issue but possibly the Ferrari and Porsche with down force from wings can out corner a Kat. Its so hard to get a comparison with cornering. And there are more modern designed super sport bikes that do a better job of cornering than the Kat.

As for the 800 bhp drag car, its a straight line machine, so specialized that it doesn't give you a full picture of what a car can be. Sports cars, which can turn right and left as well as accelerate, provide a better comparison against a bike in my opinion.

The point is that for $10,000 or less, a sportbike provides overall acceleration and handling performance that only production cars costing 10 times as much, or more, can beat.

Comment

Alot depends on the riders skills vs the driver skills to.

Comment

Kat 750 stock is about the same as any american car making 500-600hp as far as 1/4 mile performance goes.

New Mustang - $25K
        Cams, intake, new injectors, new heads, mill work, new gears, larger crank and dyno time - $15K
        Suspension and brake upgrades, drag radials - $5K

So call it $50K to get a mustang ready to beat a stock katana at the strip.

Here's a nice drag bike:
        1990 katana 600 with blown motor - $900
        B12 motor and trans - $1,750
        chain, sprockets, tire - $500
        holeshot big bore kit and stage 1 cams - $1200

Under $5K and I bet you can pull mid to low 10's all day. Sort the suspension, work on the heads and you can probably get into the 9's.
        Plus imagine the squids look when they realize your can o tuna makes over 150hp!
        I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484
          People regularly swap chevy 350's into old Datsun 280Z's. If it happened to be a worked small block chevy under there, it could possibly keep up with you. 2800lbs with 350hp works out to 8lb/hp = fast car.
          ditto, that's a very common swap. had a guy offer to sell/trade me his 280Z with a chevy 350 swapped into it....

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
          "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

I want to turbo my Gixxer engine. That would be sweet. And still a lot cheaper than a high end sports car.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
              I want to turbo my Gixxer engine....
              that'd be SSSWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!

"If you ain't first, you're last..." - Ricky Bobby
              "Your stuck on an anger bridge man, you gotta cross the anger bridge and come back to the friendship shore..." - Magic Man

Comment

But I don't think I'll be doing that till I can get a second bike.
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                  But I don't think I'll be doing that till I can get a second bike.

true dat!!!

Comment

I think you'll find the Kat carries less groceries, won't keep you dry in the rain, or warm in the winter...
                    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Working...
                    X