X

first ride of the year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first ride of the year

so i am planning on pulling my bike out this week for the first time of the year. and seeing how this is the first, first ride of the year, i really dont know what to do. i do my pre ride check i know, but it has sat for almost three months, so im sure there are other more in depth things to do. and i dont want to mess my bike up by just gettin on and riding.

thanks in advance!
    "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

You should give me a call sometime .....
    Ok , my pre-ride usually consists MAINLY of checking the tires and oil . Also , a quick once-over to make sure nothin's leaking or no "extra" parts are laying under the bike is not a bad idear . Make sure the brakes do what they should , and the chain don't look like it sat in saltwater for a year , and take it EASY until you're sure nothing's gonna fall off . Then give it another good once-over when you get home , along with cleaning and lubing the chain while it's still warm . That's just what I'd do with a bike I ain't familiar with ....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i was reading someone else's thread about having trouble starting the bike after sitting all winter, and im gettin nervous, i really didnt prepare the bike for the winter at all. i drove it to my aunts garage and parked it, and its been there since before thanksgiving. i think i pretty much had a full tank of gas. i read that i probably should have put some gas stabilizer in it? im getting nervous, cuz i plan on starting it this week for the first time.

AHHHH!!!
      "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

I'd be more concerned about the state of the battery rather than the gas. Did you keep it charged all winter?....... or simply ride the bike into the garage and shut it down? A weak battery will cause you a lot more problems than semi-bad gas.
        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
        ------------------------------------------
        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

nope didnt do anything. just parked it and never looked back
          "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

Just charge up the battery fully and check all fluids, gas levels, then try to start it and see what happens. Likely you will need to play with the choke.
            sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Originally posted by labbatom90 View Post
              nope didnt do anything. just parked it and never looked back
              If the tank is not full, swap out for some new gas. It can't hurt, and you can put the old in a cage or mix for use with the lawnmower. You only need enough new to get you to the local gas station for a fill up.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah , month or 2 old ain't gonna kill nothin . MAY take a little effort , but I'd bet it starts .

Comment

ill let you guys know, gettin over there on wednesday, im hoping it just starts, haha ill bring my computer, and maybe do some live updates if it doesnt ahah
                  "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

Well hell , where is the thing ? If it don't start , I could be convinced to help figure it out for lunch .

Comment

its in my aunts garage in Norwood, im at the UC campus. and i have a lot of work for the time being so i have to schedule times to get over there, and if it doesnt, i'd be glad to treat you to luch if you helped hahah.
                      "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

Yeah , something could possibly be arranged . Lemme know how it works out ...

Comment

took mine out on monday
                          and froze

Comment

make sure to put it on prime for 10-15 sec before u try to start it... usually makes life a bit easier.

Comment

so i started it up today, it worked almost perfectly. took a few tries, but it started and purred. i let it run for a while. one thing though, after letting it run, it seemed to start smoking, i figured it was just because it was burning off extra condensation. but anyway, just wanted to let everyone know, hopefully it gets warmer in the next couple weeks so i can bring it out and ride it consistently.
                              "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X