Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

What's the least expensive 1st gen Kat600 Battery?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the least expensive 1st gen Kat600 Battery?

Okay, before we go into the "least expensive battery might cost you more in the long run" discussion, I just need a new battery of reasonable quality (by this, I mean equivalent to your average generic Wal-Mart lead acid wet battery) to last a season or two for a bike I want to sell.

In the past, I've usually had these non-sealed type economy batteries last at least 2 years, sometimes more, so I don't have any particular qualms about using one. Question is, who sells one the cheapest?

My local Wal-Mart and Meijer don't carry the battery for the early Kat 600 (Yuasa's battery code is YB10L-B2 for reference), and the Parts Unlimited generic unit I can order at the dealer lists for an msrp of $66.95. JC Whitney sells one for $48.99 with electrolyte included, but you have to add $9 shipping. This is the best I've found.

So, the question is, has anyone found a source that sells for less? I'm going to need a couple of them...
    '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Walmat carried a battery that will work short term for the Kat in the $20 range last year... I do not have the code off hand, but found it by using the cross reference book at the battery department in walmart.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by SlipKid View Post
      Okay, before we go into the "least expensive battery might cost you more in the long run" discussion, I just need a new battery of reasonable quality (by this, I mean equivalent to your average generic Wal-Mart lead acid wet battery) to last a season or two for a bike I want to sell.

In the past, I've usually had these non-sealed type economy batteries last at least 2 years, sometimes more, so I don't have any particular qualms about using one. Question is, who sells one the cheapest?

My local Wal-Mart and Meijer don't carry the battery for the early Kat 600 (Yuasa's battery code is YB10L-B2 for reference), and the Parts Unlimited generic unit I can order at the dealer lists for an msrp of $66.95. JC Whitney sells one for $48.99 with electrolyte included, but you have to add $9 shipping. This is the best I've found.

So, the question is, has anyone found a source that sells for less? I'm going to need a couple of them...
      Use a 14L-A2, there much less money and are better.

Comment

Good info on te 14L-A2 battery! I picked one up at Wal-Mart today for $32.95, which is a huge savings over any of the "correct" batteries.

One thing worth noting is that this battery routes the vent tube out the opposite side, so you will have to drill a hole in your battery tray in order to reroute the breather tube. Not a big deal though, especially considering the savings!
        '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Good info on te 14L-A2 battery! I picked one up at Wal-Mart today for $32.95, which is a huge savings over any of the "correct" batteries.

One thing worth noting is that this battery routes the vent tube out the opposite side, so you will have to drill a hole in your battery tray in order to reroute the breather tube. Not a big deal though, especially considering the savings!
          I forgot about that, I just stuck the hose on the other side(no drilling needed).

Comment

Does the height matter that it is a taller battery?

Comment

battery

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              Walmat carried a battery that will work short term for the Kat in the $20 range last year... I do not have the code off hand, but found it by using the cross reference book at the battery department in walmart.

Krey
              I have an 1993 kat 600 I purchased a bettery on saturday for uder 40.00 thier book said one number. I went with the number on my battery 10 L A2 and it fit. good luck.

Comment

I am looking to buy this sealed one! http://www.batterystuff.com/batterie...sYT10L-A2.html

Comment

battery

WALLMART iHAVEAN93 KAT600 BOUGHT THE 10L- A 2 and it fit perfectly

Comment

Does the height matter that it is a taller battery?
                    It fits perfectly well and has more cranking amps.

Comment

wallmart under 40.00 I have an 93 kat 600 put in 10L A2 and it fit perfectly.Also gave the old one back, got 10.00 back at custermer service.

Comment

Wow, that is cheap.... great price! I may have to check that out...although it isn't maintance free, correct?

It fits perfectly well and has more cranking amps.
                        That is tempting...

Although 54.00 shipped from

is a pretty good deal for a sealed...
                        Last edited by cmgj; 03-09-2009, 12:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

i got one from www.apexbattery.com for about $49 with shipping. It wasn't Yuasa but now I'm gonna look into Wal-Mart and see if I can cancel the other one. Get it sooner, thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by sandman67 View Post
                            wallmart under 40.00 I have an 93 kat 600 put in 10L A2 and it fit perfectly.Also gave the old one back, got 10.00 back at custermer service.
                            Two of my closest Wal-Marts listed it, but didn't carry them. However, the 14L-A2 was $32.95, plus a $9 core charge that gets refunded when you bring your old battery back. Not a bad deal!

For foture reference, I'd still be interested in hearing if anyone found a cheaper source (than $33) for a suitable battery though!

Comment

Hey Slip long time no see. I can get batteries out of PA from my tire vendor. I can look up a price and give it to you. Is your number still the same or did it change?
                              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Working...
                              X