X

KatRiders I want to get some feedback

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KatRiders I want to get some feedback

For those KatRiders who polished their rims , what do you think . Are you happy that you did it or has it turned into a PITA . I have been contemplating this mod for a long time but have been reluctant on doing it. So I would like anyones feedback on it. A Yea or Nay I have purchased all the materials and set to go . Give me a hint
    sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

The few ppl i know on here when they just did the lips of their rims it came out quite nice....i know it take a few hours but from how it looks it's worth it

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

I can't even be bothered to keep my wheels clean... let alone polish them AND keep them clean
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

You can always polish, then coat with a clear imediately after to prevent the aluminum from oxidizing. It's not a permanent covering, but it will last a long time. If in a year or 2 it's time to redo, paint stripper and a few minutes polishing will put you mostly back to where you started.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I did this mod on my ninja 250, it looked awesome..... for about a month, then it was a PIA. It got dirty and oxidized. I should have cleared them but didnt, then i found myself wet sanding them every so often just to get the brake dust off. If you do it, clear coat them so it wont be so much a pia to clean.

Comment

Im gonna have to say +1 to the clear coating. My lips are polished and they get dirty reeeeeeal quick.

But JESUS they look nice...

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

let me say I dont mind the work polishing up the rim lips. I don't want to clear coat. what I am getting @ is it a constant thing to keep up w/ them ( keeping the shine ). looks awesome. I try not to ride in the rain and keep my bike clean. I have had rims on trucks, but they were daily rides and they were a PITA, cause I am fussy
              sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

Yes it's a PITA. Any kind of water will almost instantly muck them up, I have stuff that dries into the lip edge that is very difficult to get out. Yes it's a constant thing to keep up with them. During the summer I clean and polish every week, it's worth it to me
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Bare aluminum is going to oxidize. The aluminum polishes you get for mags have a waxy coating that help to reduce this, but it's still going to be a 1 a week thing to keep them nice.

The clear keeps them shiney, but easier to keep up with as you just wash them.

Up to you ofcourse... but if I was to do it, I would coat them or not do it at all.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

im going to agree with kreylyn on that one. I rode my ninja every single day and there just wasnt time to clean the lip every day. If i would have cleared it in the begining I wouldnt have had to sand it each time i cleaned it.

Comment

I actually waxed mine after polishing them this week just to see what happens since everything is thawing and wet. Actually worked out pretty good, seemed to bead the crud right off and didn't really even hurt the luster of the aluminum any. I used good ole plain Turtle Wax paste.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

If you get in the rain at all, or you go a couple weeks without cleaning them, it is a PITA. I did mine last year and I think they look great, but they are a bit of extra work.
                        Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

You may not want to hear this but imho chrome is the best way to go. It cost a little more but only requires a wipe from any old rag to make them rims shine[I usually use an old pair of socks as my weapon of choice]
                          1990 Kat 750 GSXR750 cams Barnetts clutch kit Yoshimura full exhaust

Comment

I had thought about the polished look, then I helped my friend polish his up. I decided to go with black powder coating.
                            I am King Sam

--I have a wedgie!
                            --It's a thong, just relax and accept the string.

Comment

Polished is pretty, but a PIA to clean. I'd say clear coat fro sure if you're gonna polish.
                              This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                              BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Working...
                              X