X

Carbs seem clogged

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbs seem clogged

The way the weather has been lately, I haven't been able to ride my Kat. I started it the other day and after letting it warm up for about 5 minutes i decided to take it for a little ride. I noticed that while i was in first gear at low rpms the Kat had a weird sound to it. The bike still felt as if it needed to warm up some more. I attempted to gun it but the bike fell flat on its face. I rode my Kat for about 30-40 minutes varying speeds and it seems to lack performance. I still also noticed that weird noise at low RPM's. Is it possible that the carbs are clogged up? The dealers mechanic told me that he would take it for a ride and get back with me to let me know the problem. The mechanic said that they would charge me 85 dollars per hour with a minimum of 5-6 hours to clean the carbs! Something doesn't sound or feel right with the engine. At around 1-4k in first gear the bike sounds like a lawn mower engine not an inline four. Can you guys suggest anything that I could do to maybe unclogg the carbs. The bike has sat idle for only 1 1/2 to 2 months. Is this enought time for the carbs to clogg? If I get Suzuki to take apart the carbs should I just have them throw in a jet kit also? Could I leave the stock pipe on and put the jet kit in it?
    Last edited by ray123; 02-03-2009, 11:23 PM.

CLASSIC description of not firing on all cylinders . Pull your plugs , maybe have a new set on standby in case you can't clean them and make them work , and see what happens .....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
      CLASSIC description of not firing on all cylinders . Pull your plugs , maybe have a new set on standby in case you can't clean them and make them work , and see what happens .....
      Agreed, it's always best to try the free stuff before you start forking over the dough to the mechanics.

How did it run before storage? Could you have bad fuel maybe?
      My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Try Techron..

I experience some carb clogging on my 06 750 after the bike sat for a couple months. The Techron cleared it up. I use it now regularly.

Stock pipe works fine for me.
        Don't need a jet kit.
        "Don't taze me bro"

Comment

Fresh fuel and seafoam.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Check the air filter for a mouse nest.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The mechanic said that they would charge me 85 dollars per hour with a minimum of 5-6 hours to clean the carbs!

Don't be stupid about this.
              Clean the plugs, drain and put fresh gas in and run Techron thru it for a few miles ~
              Should notice a difference ................

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

I've been trying to reply guys but for some reason I was having trouble with my server and it would not let me submit a reply. Anyways, Thanks for the advice guys. The Suzuki mechanic told me that he would put something in the gas for me that could maybe unclog the carbs. He told me to take the wait and see approach because 500 dollars is a bunch of money. Is this substance Techron? How hard is it to change the plugs? Do I have to remove the plastics?

Comment

85 dollars an hour seems rediculous to me when you can do the **** yourself and save a bunch of money. first you need to clean the jets in your carbs, thoroughly, take the bottoms of the carbs off, the tops off, clean those tiny holes til you can't anymore. Throw some carb cleaner in the holes. Close them back up, maybe put in a new air filter. Tune the carbs, get the bike running how it's supposed to. If you're gonna tear it apart you might as well do it right the first time instead of tearing it apart multiple times. I don't know too much about bikes but from what it sounds like, cleaning the carbs and some seafoam run through it for about 2-3 hours might do the trick. Let me know if it does it though cuz I'm kinda goin through the same problems on my 2000 GSX600F
                  "If you aint first, you're last"

Comment

depending on location and temps gas can degrade in 15 days to a month and it will surely clog your jets .

Drain the tank run fresh fuel through even before you change the plugs , then change the plugs ,you dont wanna foul the plugs again with nasty gas til its outta the system start with the easy...$450-500 is ****in nuts for a carb rebuild , Send a pm to Arsenic or me if its still givin you problems Im sure either one of us can get'em cleaned for alot less for ya.

No wonder the economy sucks and bike dealers are goin under $85/hour shop rate is more then most car dealership rates.

yes you can keep the stock pipe and jet it you will then have an opportunity to adjust your jet kit when/if you pipe it
                    Last edited by quik89Kat; 02-05-2009, 03:04 AM.
                    1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc
                    2003 fairings,1995 gas tank,polished frame,muzzy titanium exhaust,Unknown jet kit,520 chain conversion,polished forks,race tail,fcr flatside carbs...
                    sigpic1989 katana 1100F,v&H exhaust,FP jet kit,FP advancer,avon venom tires,polished swingarm,NRC covers ,big bore kit,manual cam chain tensioner,k&n filters .
                    Burn rubber, not your soul. Ride among us.
                    A.S.E. master certified auto tech

Comment

What is sea foam? Do you put it in your gas tank or something?

Comment

Exactly. You'll find it at your auto parts store, next to the Gumout, etc. Gumout and such works for keeping carbs/injectors clean but Seafoam is strong enough to actually remove deposits.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

stuff works magic. Before, could see deposit and gunk built up inside combustion chambers, now you'd never be able to tell it was there. Also applicable in your crank case.
                          "If you aint first, you're last"

Comment

Working...
                          X