X

recovering seat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LAsunbird86 View Post
    It was a 1/4 stapler. Now that I know electric staplers work though, I reccomend them. They are MUCH cheaper, and do not require an air tank (can be used inside).
    Yeah, but they don't air up your tires for you, run a paint gun, blow out carb jets, etc. Check this out: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97572

and this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93796

or this: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...00003+10401010

I know, you've already bought the electric but the next guy...
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I have a 40 gallon air tank too, and an impact gun, paint gun, etc.

But if they're just doing the seat, and trying to spend less than $30, some material and an electric staple gun will run about that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        I would have suggested the air gun, too. Was it a 1/4" or 1/2" air stapler? I've got one of each and can't imagine the 1/2" being too strong. It's meant for upholstery work.

They did a nice job. Did they replace the foam, too? I paid $40 at a auto-upholstery place about 10 years ago and they didn't do anywhere near as nice a job. I was pretty annoyed. If Sergent's can do that nice a job for $70 I'd say it's probably worth it, especially if you don't have the stuff to do it (right) yourself. If they replaced the foam, too then it's a pretty good deal.
        it was $70 for the cover itself... shipped. I put it on myself with the help of a friend. the trick is to start in the front center, pull hard, and lots of staples! I didn't replace the foam for they were still in pretty good shape.
        sigpic
        2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

To me, the foam is the weakest part of the original seat. Love my Corbin!
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

thanks for the post.. i've learned something new.

Comment

Just did mine last week..... Blue tape is just to keep the staples from hitting the new paint on my tank.

Last edited by ctrailfreak; 01-13-2009, 07:11 PM.
              Representing the Pre's! Updated my Garage so have a look!

Comment

what kind of cover is that ctrailfreak
                Last edited by hiney_555; 10-19-2009, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Anybody have any pictures of posts that have been coverd? Also, how do you get it to not wrinkle on the corners? I was thinking a heat gun to soften it and then stretch.
                  "Don't mess with a nation, that needs medication"- Christopher Titus-

Comment

Originally posted by None2Slow View Post
                    Anybody have any pictures of posts that have been coverd? Also, how do you get it to not wrinkle on the corners? I was thinking a heat gun to soften it and then stretch.

Just use a hair dryer and pull it tught.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by hiney_555 View Post
                      what kind of cover is that ctrailfreak
                      I just bought a yard of vinyl and put it in the dryer for about 15 minutes to get it nice and stretchy. I didn't buy a seat cover or anything. Just keep the vinyl hot and don't use to thick a vinyl or it will never stretch right. I used a heat gun on low to keep it from getting stiff.

I started stapling at the sides first, then work around and just keep pulling the vinyl every time you staple it down so you don't get any ripples in it.

Comment

I have used contact cement to help form it to the contours of the foam, electric staple is by far the easiest way even if you have air....
                        sigpic

Comment

How long of a staple do you use?
                          "Don't mess with a nation, that needs medication"- Christopher Titus-

Comment

3/16" works well
                            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by ctrailfreak View Post
                              I just bought a yard of vinyl and put it in the dryer for about 15 minutes to get it nice and stretchy. I didn't buy a seat cover or anything. Just keep the vinyl hot and don't use to thick a vinyl or it will never stretch right. I used a heat gun on low to keep it from getting stiff.

I started stapling at the sides first, then work around and just keep pulling the vinyl every time you staple it down so you don't get any ripples in it.
                              thanks. who says you can't teach an old dog a new trick? just might give it a try myself.
                              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I got the vinyl on sale so I only had a couple bucks in the entire project. 1 yard is enough to have a spare in case you mess it up the first time.

Comment

Working...
                                X