X

new here have a Kat question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new here have a Kat question

First i'd like to introduce myself. My name is Vinnie and i live in Ft Lauderdale Florida. I sold a bike about 4 years ago and miss riding but could not and cannot afford another bike. However a good friend has a 2000 750 Katana that he let sit too long and it will not start it cranks but not starting. He is giving me the bike for free and i love the opportunity i have to bring this bike back to life. I am very mechanically inclined having worked on my own cars etc. I know bikes are a different animal but ignition and fuel delivery is a common issue to all engines. Can anyone direct me to a chilton type book for this bike or manuals etc.? Any help and info would be greatly appreciated i will keep you all up to date as soon as i get it home. I'll let you know what my progress is.
    sigpic

Originally posted by vinniel View Post
    First i'd like to introduce myself. My name is Vinnie and i live in Ft Lauderdale Florida. I sold a bike about 4 years ago and miss riding but could not and cannot afford another bike. However a good friend has a 2000 750 Katana that he let sit too long and it will not start it cranks but not starting. He is giving me the bike for free and i love the opportunity i have to bring this bike back to life. I am very mechanically inclined having worked on my own cars etc. I know bikes are a different animal but ignition and fuel delivery is a common issue to all engines. Can anyone direct me to a chilton type book for this bike or manuals etc.? Any help and info would be greatly appreciated i will keep you all up to date as soon as i get it home. I'll let you know what my progress is.

I got my book off ebay. if you look they will be on there. like 35 bucks i think
    Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
    Current Bikes:
    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Free PDF motorcycle manuals for download!

Comment

wow that was quick i downloaded it thank you so much i can't wait to get working on that machine! I'm loving this forum already.
        sigpic

Comment

Good luck, and welcome... I would dump the old fuel, change the plugs and fuel filter, and clean the carbs...
          2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Comment

He told me he clean the carbs but i wonder if he actually took them apart and cleaned well or did he just soak the whole thing thinking that would be ok. I'll have to ask. What you suggested is exactly what i had in mind also the petcock could be an issue maybe it's crudded up and blocking fuel flow who knows but as soon as i get it i will begin with fuel filter and plugs carb cleaning etc if i can get it fired up then i'll change the oil and oil filter and do some good maintenace work on the bike.
            sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR and good luck with the bike

Comment

Thank you
                sigpic

Comment

The things I've seen most people do when they pull a kat out of storage is dump and replace fuel, clean carbs (all as listed above), pull and check the plugs while you're down there, and oil of course. Then I think you'll be ready to start really trouble shooting because the general maintenance items that should have been done anyway are out of the way.

Yes the petcock could be clogged, while you're dumping the gas stick it on pri and see if it flows. If so then wehen you put it back together after cleaning the carbs you can stick in on pri again and see if she fires.

Oh yeah... and WELCOME to KR!
                  Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

does the petcock on the Kat work on a vacuum? i know some will not flow if not on a vacuum
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes it works off a vacuum from the carbs

Comment

Thanks for the info i'm trying to inform myself as much as possible so that i canformulate my plan of attack!
                        sigpic

Comment

Or just switch it to PRI, for prime, and the gas will flow without vacuum.
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

thats a good idea i just have to look for some photos of the switch mine no longer has the sticker telling me which position is which
                            sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR. I you are looking at it prime is at 3 o'clock, on at 6, reserve at 9
                              R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                              X