hey new here.. 88 kat motor knocks at low idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey new here.. 88 kat motor knocks at low idle

hey every one im new to the forum and to katana's all together

i traded my old enduro for an 88 katana with a 96 motor, the bike runs pretty good once its started but if the idle is too low it gets a knock sound from the lower end of the motor, is it any thing to be worried about or is this a normal occurance??

also the bike is a pain to start in the freezing weather any tricks or tips to get it started?

welcome to the site!
    sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
    k9 GSX-R 600
    GO VOLS!

Comment

Depending on the maintenance history you could start by changing out the plugs. That drastically helped with cold weather starting for me. As far as the knock, I have no clue. You could try sending a PM to Arsenic or CyperPoet if they don't chime in soon. There are a ton of people on here with a wealth of knowledge. Welcome!
      -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
      -My wife

Comment

Does in make the sound when you engage the clutch?

Comment

thanks for the support... this weekend im going to try to get a new battery some plugs if my work schedule allows ... and im not sure cant think because the noise goes away once the idle gets around 1,000 rpm

Comment

I've heard many kats and GSXR with this engine that have a faint knock at idle...let alone other bikes like the EX250 and 500 etc
            These are loud little engines and usually its normal just be sure the idle rpm is set correctly

you might want to look at replacing the cam chain tensioner spring...
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Get the same knock on my 96 600 if the idle drops too low (below 1000) - speed up the idle and the knock goes away

Comment

welcome to KR

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
                  Does in make the sound when you engage the clutch?
                  I was thinking the same thing. Could be something with the clutch basket. Wife's Ninja does the same thing, and is apparently a common problem.

Comment

Originally posted by sfoster73 View Post
                    I was thinking the same thing. Could be something with the clutch basket. Wife's Ninja does the same thing, and is apparently a common problem.
                    Ya, My ol Ninja900 would sound like a diesel until I engaged the clutch.

Comment

so i was bored after work and decided to jump start the bike, it still makes the noise even when the clutch is engaged, but i turned the idle up from around 500 to 1000 like coggs said and you can only hear it if your reallyy listening for it...

im just worried about it being anything major, or if i continue to ride it causing more harm to the bike. i hope it doesnt cause i really like riding it

Comment

It's fine, you shouldn't have your idle down that low anyway.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Yeah, it still sounds like something from the clutch basket, but if it's like the Ninja issue, it's not anything to be concerned about.

Comment

Working...
                          X