why does everyone hate the katana so much

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by md86 View Post
    According to Wheeler's scale , mine weighed 512lbs
    Is that with or without the weight of the zip ties and duct tape?

Sorry, couldn't resist. 500 pounds sounds about right. Roommate's 02 fell over one night and I about killed myself picking it up the right way...
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Remember this the Katana has made lists of one of the top 10 best bikes ever built and also one of the 10 worst bikes ever built.

People dog out Katanas because they are viewed as "beginner bikes". The Kanatuna comes from the fact that Tuna is a big heavy fish. The katana is a big heavy bike.

It also gets dogged out due to the fact that it really doesnt make big power. Even though the engine the Katana uses was Suzuki's top of the line race engine back in its hayday.

To people that know motorcycles yes theyre gonna talk a lil smack for you riding a Katana. but they also know the thing is comfortable to ride, it can dance with the big dogs, and the motor is damned near bulletproof.

My boss brought up a good point the other day. Back in 99 Honda introduced the 900RR. Bout 125hp. Fast forward 10 years. How much HP do the 600's have now that was UNTHINKABLE 10 years ago?? Hell the F2, F3 were 2 of the baddest 600's you could buy when they were new. Now theyre starter bikes.

Just the way things go. The only question i get on my Katana is when am i gettin a new bike. Ive pretty much milked everything I can get outta the old girl and ill even admit it would be nice to not have to flick damn near 500 lbs through a corner. Now if only i could keep my katana and get a SS bike......

DC Born..Maryland Bred

I will never be forgotten. I will only fade as time goes on from your consious thoughts.

Comment

no, the tuna engine is BASED on a GSXR 750 engine. It's NO WERE near the same engine. And that was in 1985, guess what it's not 1985, but the 2006 Tuna had basically the SAME engine as the 1985 engine it's based on.

Comment

Keep on ridin

Well, maybe we don't think much of GSXr's or CBR's but we don't down their machines.

Comment

For some unknown reason it's human nature to talk down about something that you view as "inferior" or if you're insecure about what you have yourself. Make yourself feel better by bashing on someone else's stuff. A sad bunch, us humans, sometimes.
            2008 ZZR 600 (His)
            Black
            Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
            Red
            Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by mambopalace View Post
              Well, maybe we don't think much of GSXr's or CBR's but we don't down their machines.
              that is just dumb. I understand if you don't like a GSXR or CBR, but if you diss one and own a Katana, your a flat out idiot. Happy Thanksgiving
              Last edited by arsenic; 11-26-2008, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Just got back from the ODOT truck scale. If it's calibrated regularly to be close enough to enforce load limits in a courtroom, it's accurate enough for me. I was probably just under a gallon low on gas, since I rode 22 miles to get there after filling up.
                centered on scale

gas guage showing almost full

taken from behind the bike showing scale reading

close up for the visually impaired
                John,
                '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                sigpic

Comment

i have never planned to buy a katana.it just happened.the kat i have had an accident and it all got repaired.(only the fairings) the previous owner was working at an insurance co.so he just left the bike to the company.and took money.they cheated the company that bike is all crashed.and they lied about it's damage.i know this beacuse my bike got repaired at my friends shop.he mentioned me about the bike and i gave an offer to the insurance company.but they didnt take me serious and sold the bike to a guy i dont know at another city via internet sell.
                  insurance company told me that i could not give offer because i am not a registered buyer for damaged vehicles.so i asked them where the hell did they sell the bike.they give me an adress and i made the same offer to that registered buyer company and bought my kat from them.it was all repaired and i just started it and go.

it just happened.i was not planning to buy a kat in fact i was planning to buy a fzr 600.but as i drived my kat for a week i really liked it.i can sell my kat buy a fzr 600 and can keep 2000 dollars but i dont want to.
                  it has a smooth way of riding and really comfortable.i am planning to keep it till i get married(i will be needing cash) and buy another one after i arrange my budget.

Comment

I use to hear a lot of noise from the guys I ride with all on newer SS Style bikes. The funny thing is they can't shake me in the Twisties... Should have seen their faces when I out cornered & came around them.

I don't hear it so much any more...

Great bike, Great platform...
                    -Scott
                    '88 Katana 600
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      that is just dumb. I understand if you don't like a GSXR or CBR, but if you diss one and own a Katana, your a flat out idiot. Happy Thanksgiving

^Just because its faster and lighter and will kill someone who attempts a 700+mile trip on it?

Sorry, but if I'm driving a tank, Ill make fun of your hummer as much as I want to .

people are allowed to "diss" whatever they want. Mature adults don't usually care what you ride, as long as you're riding. Often those concerned with self image and whats "cool" are the first to throw the "canotuna" a few insults.

Comment

A heap of non-motorcycle guys I know think my bikes an evil black death beast and they heap the praise on it. I must admit it does look nice.

I ride with sports bikes, cruisers, old restoration jobs etc. All cool. More about the ride you're on than the ride you ride.

Comment

I rode with 2 SV650S's and Triumph Daytona, and a bunch of other sport bikes, but mainly the two SV's. No one ever talked junk about my bike, of course it wasn't a Katana but still. I'd NEVER, NEVER talk smack about anyones bike, and I'd never ride with anyone that did.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                            I rode with 2 SV650S's and Triumph Daytona, and a bunch of other sport bikes, but mainly the two SV's. No one ever talked junk about my bike, of course it wasn't a Katana but still. I'd NEVER, NEVER talk smack about anyones bike, and I'd never ride with anyone that did.
                            even if it was a kat runnin k&n pods stretched 8 over with a 180 tire on the stock wheel?? hhaha
                            sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
                            k9 GSX-R 600
                            GO VOLS!

Comment

I wouldn't talk junk about the bike, I'd tell the owner he/she was an idiot, but the bike didn't do that
                              Last edited by arsenic; 11-27-2008, 02:50 AM.

Comment

i went from a canotuna to a super chicken and could care less what anyone thinks about either bike. the katana is one of the best allrounders there is. and my new 996 is just dreamy to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X