X

Motorcycle cuts out at idle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle cuts out at idle

I have an 05 Katana 600. Recently I ran the tank bone dry. Ever since then the bike starts up ok but if I leave it at idle it will eventually cut out. Additionally when I ride and let off the throttle the RPM will go down to zero and the bike cuts out. I have replaced the fuel filter as well as added some carburetor cleaner to the fuel. I have ridden about 5 miles since I added the cleaner and the problem remains.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong with the bike?

Thanks.

When it's cold, or when it's warm too?

It can tend to do that when it's cold. If it's happening when it's warm either the idle is set too low, or the carbs are dirty.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

ditto if its cold i leave the choke on a little to keep it within the 1000 rpm range to prevent this
      2000 Katana- vance and hines exhaust 03+ rear end, 14/48 sprockets, stage 1 jet kit, 5 degree ignition advancer, WANT B12 HEADER

1997 S10- 3/4 drop on 20 inch rims, tinted tails, shaved doors, tailgate, antenna, 12 inch orion sub with 1200 watt orion amp, hvac controls relocated in glove box, sony head unit with infinity components, smoothed and painted dash parts, chrome window cranks and shifter, too much to list

Comment

Thanks for the responses. The problem happens in warm weather. I will continue to look at cleaning out the carbs as well as changing the idle setting.

Comment

Working...
        X