Cornering question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipKid
    I'll side with BISQ on this one.

Resting the arch of your foot on the pegs just sounds damn weird to me! At any rate THAT is the certain reason your toes are hitting. Let me tell you though... If you don't start getting the balls of your feet onto the pegs for aggressive riding, as you start taking corners even faster or at more angle, you'll eventually fold your foot under the bike (and that won't be a pretty sight)!
    Yeah I know ... I've been getting a lot better! I took the corner today with the balls on the pegs and cornered beautifully!!! Thanks guys for the help!
    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

Comment

See, we're good for something around here right

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
        See, we're good for something around here right
        hahaha hell yeah!!
        Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

Comment

The answer may be obvious, but...
          Coming into a corner... Downshift/brake (at the same time) with the foot arch on the pegs(?) and then slide the foot back, so the balls of the foot are on the pegs through the turn? Then slide the feet back to arches on pegs (if shifting/rear braking are needed) until the next turn?
          Some of these posts make it sound like you guys ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs at all times.

I have scraped my toes several times on tight left-hand turns. I started moving my butt off the seat, as you guys recommended. The results were great, BTW, thanks. Using the butt-slide I have still scraped toes, so I need to learn some of this toe-saving technique.
          Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoloScott
            The answer may be obvious, but...
            Coming into a corner... Downshift/brake (at the same time) with the foot arch on the pegs(?) and then slide the foot back, so the balls of the foot are on the pegs through the turn? Then slide the feet back to arches on pegs (if shifting/rear braking are needed) until the next turn?
            Pretty much, yes. It's more of a short step than a slide as the pegs can be grippy.

Some of these posts make it sound like you guys ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs at all times.
            In the twisties, again pretty much--yes, though its more like TOES on the pegs.

The Kats pegs are very low and forward (which is fabulously comfortable for the "tour" part of sport-touring), which make them the first thing to touch down in cornering. If you're going to rail the Kat, you've got to get your toes on the pegs, or you will lose them.

Even still, you'll be actually using the toe sliders on the SIDE of your boots.

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Thanks BISQ. Hopefully I can get out in some decent weather to practice.

I'm a little leary of moving my feet away from the shifter/brake when coming into a turn. When I come into corners I find myself shifting/braking right until I roll the bike into the lean. I have only been riding for 2 months now. Part of my problem is probably that I am riding conservatively; I slow down a little too much and then have a lot of room to accelerate in the turn. On the streets, where I am concerned with speed limits and road debris, I am probably staying on the brakes longer than needed (I'm not really going THAT fast). On the track, I imagine that braking hard and shifting until the moment the bike is in the turn would become a problem again, as far as dragging toes.
              Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

Here's a cool video and has some shots of footwork during hard twisites..

ENJOY!

(please right-click save-as)

Comment

I was gona suggest you putting titanium sliders on your foot in the area that was hitting. That way you can get some cool sparks.
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Thanks BISQ. Hopefully I can get out in some decent weather to practice.

I'm a little leary of moving my feet away from the shifter/brake when coming into a turn. When I come into corners I find myself shifting/braking right until I roll the bike into the lean. I have only been riding for 2 months now. Part of my problem is probably that I am riding conservatively; I slow down a little too much and then have a lot of room to accelerate in the turn. On the streets, where I am concerned with speed limits and road debris, I am probably staying on the brakes longer than needed (I'm not really going THAT fast). On the track, I imagine that braking hard and shifting until the moment the bike is in the turn would become a problem again, as far as dragging toes.
                    i don't shift that often in the twisties & don't use the rear brake. a quick shift then back on the toes. habits are hard to break - get used to it now.

tim

Comment

Working...
                    X