Questions from a Noob

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions from a Noob

I ride a 1994 Suzuki Katana 750F

I was wanting to better my riding performance in the corners. I noticed, my suspensions settings were jacked up (left on 1 and right on 3). I am talking about the knobs on the handlebar.... :-S

I was wondering:

What settings for suspensions would you recommend for my Katana in the corners?
    Also, should I reduce the tire pressure for more traction?

you bike need to be setup for your weight search on how to set your sag. but you need to even out the 1 and 3 the forks should be set the same.
    sigpic

Comment

no, you should not reduce your tire pressure for more traction...you do not want your tire 'rolling' when going into a corner.

Only time I can see you would want to reduce tire pressure is for drag racing.
      It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch View Post
        no, you should not reduce your tire pressure for more traction...you do not want your tire 'rolling' when going into a corner.

Only time I can see you would want to reduce tire pressure is for drag racing.
        Hmmm.... So should I be running 36f 34r?

Comment

the right tire pressure depends on many things like make and model of the tire, rider weight, whether or not you're riding 2 up or solo most of the time etc. I run 36 front and 42 rear on my '90 Katana 600, but that's what was recommended by Continental with the Road Attack tires I'm using, and I ride around with the wife on the back alot (around 410lbs total weight between the 2 of us).
          John,
          '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
          sigpic

Comment

The fork adjusters MUST be set the same on each side. one at 1 and the other at 3 will make handling dangerous. properly inflated, GOOD tires will make a huge difference. Metzeler Z6's are great, but make sure you get the 120/70/17 for the front. TheCyberPoet has a great writeup about tires, and other good stuff. The best upgrade for better handling is rider skillz. get a copy of "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch and study up.
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
            X