X

good deal or waste of my time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good deal or waste of my time?

I have been sharing a motorcycle with my roommate for over a year and I really want one for myself. My dad owned a 1988 Katana and I fell in love with the bike. I have a friend now who wants to sell me his 1993 Katana for $1200. The catch is it has been stored for 6 years (fluids were drained and upon filling it back up it runs), needs mirrors, windshield, carbs needs to be tuned, top end is great but low end and idle need adjustment as well. Has new battery. I don't really know much about Katana's and wondering if anybody had any advice? Thanks
    Kyle

Too much.
    Why? After that long in storage you need:
    Tires, brake lines, all fluids (including fork oil), full carb rebuild and who knows what else.
    Half that price and you could be OK.. ($800 tops)
    It's good it runs but...

All my opinion....

Either way if you buy it stick around. This is the Katana place..
    Last edited by Black_peter; 10-06-2008, 03:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Listen to him. He knows his stuff. This is THE katana place.
      1994 Suzuki GSX600F Katana
      Bone stock
      Looking to mod, Any ideas?

Comment

To answer the title question;
        No Kat is a waste of time, but I wouldn't call this a deal.

Comment

Needing similar maintenance I got mine for $1k... but I should have pushed for $800.
          Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Originally posted by papagorgio2003 View Post
            I have been sharing a motorcycle with my roommate for over a year and I really want one for myself. My dad owned a 1988 Katana and I fell in love with the bike. I have a friend now who wants to sell me his 1993 Katana for $1200. The catch is it has been stored for 6 years (fluids were drained and upon filling it back up it runs), needs mirrors, windshield, carbs needs to be tuned, top end is great but low end and idle need adjustment as well. Has new battery. I don't really know much about Katana's and wondering if anybody had any advice? Thanks
            Kyle
            I came across the same sort of deal, but my friend gave me the bike!

I had to bring it back from a 12 year sit. I've been buying parts off Ebay and getting good deals! In the last two months, I've got near $1000. into it and I still need a few more little items. I went for upgrades. If I'd just got it running and did not buy later wheels, RF900 shock and fork springs, I'd still be looking at about $600.

I'd say the bike is worth $1200. if in mint cond! The way it sits now, I'd guess it's worth about $600.~$800. And I say this thinking the bike has less than 15,000. miles.

Comment

I guess it depends on how much time/effort/money you want to put into the project. If you're like me and unfamiliar with repairing bikes then you might was to start with something that requires a little less maintenance and it could be worth waiting it out for the right bike. Good luck.

Comment

sound advice across the board if you do get it .. there is alot of good info here on getting it back road worthy
                so many roads so little time

Comment

BTW, welcome to KR! (papageorgio, hehehe...I love Vegas Vacation)
                  2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                  BMC Notorious 918 HT
                  2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input, i will stay on this site for the great info and I will let you know what i decide to do. thanks.

Comment

Kinda reminds me of those Kung Fu reruns......... "Choose wisely grasshopper."
                      Welcome to the KR family.
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

funny i keep hearing these prices and have no problem finding $200-700 kats locally that are being ridden on the road.

Comment

Working...
                        X