X

front sprocket removal

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front sprocket removal

ok i am changing my front and rear sprockets along with my chain. i am to the part to loosen the front sprocket nut of which is a pain. anyone have any tips on how you kept the rear wheel from moving in order to loosen the nut?

impact gun or hit the wrench with a hammer. by the way, could you please tell me what size socket your using on the front sprocket nut? i need to go get one
    1989 katana 750

Comment

wrap a 2x4 or 2x2 in a towel and wedge it between the spokes and the swing arm, that'll hold the wheel still while you undo the bolt. Or stand on the rear brake (I use the 2x4 method).

A breaker bar comes in handy for extra oumph.
      Kyle

Comment

yeah iusing a breaker bar just can't get the rear wheel to stay in place even when steping on the rear brake. i actually tried the 2x4 method before posting but it was crunching down on the exhaust. is there a certain place to put it so it won't damage the exhaust?

oh and its a 32mm socket you'll need.

ahh i got it you put the 2x4 under the swingarm thanks man

Originally posted by frosti108 View Post
        impact gun or hit the wrench with a hammer. by the way, could you please tell me what size socket your using on the front sprocket nut? i need to go get one
        theres a really good post in the how to section with pictures and all on how to replace sprockets and chain. it is a sticky so you won't need to do any searching
        Last edited by gumby1220; 10-02-2008, 08:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Throw it in gear...no brake needed...I loosened one with just a breaker bar but the engine was out..put it into first and it came off eay..
          Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
          Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
            Throw it in gear...no brake needed...I loosened one with just a breaker bar but the engine was out..put it into first and it came off eay..
            i'll try that and if all fails i'm doing the 2x4 method

Comment

When taking it off I use an impact wrench and step on the brake. Putting it back on, well that depends on how many beers it took me to do everything else, but standing on the brake and a torque wrench is the right way. The nut should be held on with some blue thread locker, so a little heat would help, but that would make me nervous with a rubber seal behind everything. How about some CRC Freeze-Off? Sounds like you just need something to break the threadlocker loose. Ah, Google to the rescue, Methylene Chloride will disolve the thread locking compound. And from Wiki, "It is widely used as a paint stripper and a degreaser."
              Pics
              Pics
              No pics yet
              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

+1000 on the foot on brake and impact to loosen. Added benefit you can smoke a cigarette AND hold a beer while doing it this way

I used torque wrench to tighten while on the brake.

Comment

FYI, a 1-1/4in socket works too (32mm = 1.26in).

I can only remove the front sprocket if I have another person sitting on the bike with their foot on the rear brake. Also, the bike can't be on a smooth-ish surface like a sealed concrete garage floor - have to move it to unsealed concrete or asphalt. Take a breaker bar (or steel pipe in my case) and slide it over the ratchet. Should be good to go.
                  "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

ok this is what i did i kicked it into gear and couldn't get a 2x4 to fit in where it wouldn't do damage so i grabed a wooden broom stick and wedged it through the spokes resting on the swing arm work like a charm to hold the wheel still. thanks for the responses. all i have to do now is drink another beer and then start putting the chain and rear wheel back on

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
                      x2

That's how I got mine off as well... hit the breaker bar with a firm hand to break it loose while in gear. (would have used impact if I had compressed air though)

You could do that, or just pull the emergency brake to hold the rear wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by albuKat View Post
                        x2
                        You could do that, or just pull the emergency brake to hold the rear wheel.
                        hahahahah now that would be a trip if some actually asked if there was an E brake

Comment

Hope it comes off easier than mine. Had to take mine to the local stealership (actually a good bunch) who had to heat the nut to cherry red with oxy-acetylene and use a high impact gun and even then it took 2 or 3 goes!!

Comment

Originally posted by coggs View Post
                            Hope it comes off easier than mine. Had to take mine to the local stealership (actually a good bunch) who had to heat the nut to cherry red with oxy-acetylene and use a high impact gun and even then it took 2 or 3 goes!!
                            definitely glad that wasn't the case for me. i did have to kick it in gear apply brake and shove a broom stick in the wheel to stop it from moving

Comment

Good going! I was hopin mine was going to be that easy but I snapped the piece of 2" x 3" timber I put through the wheel - should be easier next time though.

Comment

Working...
                              X