X

After a long hiatus, I'm thinking of returning to a Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a long hiatus, I'm thinking of returning to a Katana

Hi guys. I started riding long ago on a Kat 600 (post-1998 style), then moved up briefly to a Kat 750. After that, I ended up riding a string of supersports and all kinds of other bikes, culminating in my current ride, a hardcore literbike.

Something inside tells me that I'm still - deep down - a Katana guy. My first "real" bike etc.

I'm thinking of ditching the liter for a new GSXF650. Not quite a Katana, but a little more practical considering I'll be using it for everything (commuting, entertainment etc.) in all seasons.

Has anyone else made the switch back to a Kat, specifically a 650, and never looked back? Or is this plan a recipe for disaster?

Cheers!

Welcome back!

THE DOC
    THE DOC
    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
    mistake when you make it again.
    sigpic

Comment

The Kat is a bike for grown up, responsible people. The top speed is high enough to empty the tank in a hurry, and the sub 13 second 1/4 is enough to outrun any cager, aside from an exotic or a race built monster.

If you're responsible and grown up, she's all you'll ever need.

OTOH, most of us aren't. I struggle between loving the kat and being responsible, and giving in to my wild side; going for more speed and power.
      WTB: ANY Katana located in Bangkok, Thailand. :-/

Comment

I could never own a Kat again after owning the ZX-14. The first reason is fuel injection. I will never buy a bike with out it again. Power is obviously another reason why.
        2007 Honda CBR600rr
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
        sigpic

Comment

The GSF-650 IS a Katana- ignore the naysayers.

Welcome back.
          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

I did something similar. Kat6 ('88) was my 2nd street bike....over the years I went all the way up to a TL 1000 S (loved that bike). The older I get, though, I realize I just don't really need 120 bhp for the kind of daily-grind use. I'm back to a '89 Kat6. Almost back where I started 20 years ago.

Comment

I'm not responsible or grown up... but I still like it!

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                I'm not responsible or grown up... but I still like it!
                When I think of the differences, and that I would only care about them on the race track (where I never am) I always end up back at the Kat.
                -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
                -My wife

Comment

I'm responsible and "grown" and view the Katana as a fun, functional, and a motorcycle that can do a lot of things well. All that being said, It is also a motorcycle that, in 600-650cc form, is easy to out grow. The are other bikes on the market that are stonger sport-tourers than the Katana without going up to a ZX14 or Hayabusa. My Kat1100 is a good, comfy, and even kinda fast but something more up to date would be a lot smoother.

To directly respond to your question, you have to get best fits you and what you have to do. I know guys that use SS bikes for commuting, entertaining, etc and they're cool with it. OTOH, that, of course, is not everyone "thing", ya dig ?
                  The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

I'll be buying another bike in the very near future simply because of the new tech that's out there.....but the one I have now isn't about to leave me. I love riding it too much and it'll stay in the family.
                    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                    ------------------------------------------
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

no idea how the 650 runs .. it just makes me looking at it .. but hey thats me .. if you like the feel .. go for it
                      so many roads so little time

Comment

Working...
                      X