• Show
Clear All

• Kattoy - pic/link?
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• What a great idea, when i was an aircraft mechanic i used to upholster pilots seats in sheepskin all the time.... why havent i thought of this.... pics please!
      We may not always win the game, but we never lose the party.

Comment

• Still tryin' to figger why my newest m/c is shaped like a tunafish.
        Bought an '89 750 in blue/ silver, hence the tunafish came to mind.

Been running Seafoam thru it after a full carb build and synchro, the gas STILL
        starts off brown then turns instantly clear after an ounce or so passes thru the
        line. This is the line from the tank. Tank looks clean but I'm betting on the petcock
        being fulla varnish as the lines have been replaced.

Luckily it started and ran, not well, but ran so I bought it. A 1989 GSX 750 F for
        $1650 and 7800 miles on the odometer??? I called the dude and told him to dump
        the ad and give me a day or two to scrub up the cash. My KLR 650 sold later that
        evening and now at 50 years old, and on m/c #10, gotta rocket for my midlife crisis
        bike. LOL It's only real issue is hibernation sickness and the original and very
        cracked tires.(front, the rear had a 2006 date code) I have new tires but haven't
        dropped the wheels yet for the rubber and also smear a buncha new grease on
        the axles n speedo drive and whatever else looks dry.

Today it was the risers and drag bars, highway pegs (comfort-city) and hooked up
        the BikeBandit OEM replacement coils n' shock wires. Lurked here quite a bit before
        tearing into this thing and immediately decided to stay stock (other than the ign adv),
        as the carbs are touchy and need the balanced system already in place. Plus, with
        the dual crossover system and only one cylinder exhausting at a time the pipes and
        mufflers are huge. So is the intake with one 187cc piston drawing at any given time.
        No upgrades required and the thing screams. I'm not even asking what engineering
        genius felt that the fix was one jet size larger for cyl #3 for whatever issues during
        R&D. LOL Three 105's and a 110? Whatever works. (And why was #3 lean anyhoo?)

So far I love the thing and this site has already taught me volumes. I'll post here
        when the final stuff gets done, stripping an aluminum thread, etc. etc.

You guys are awesome, and ride 'em if ya got 'em,
        CheeeeeeeeeeeeapMark

PS. Same screen name at KLRForum.com but I'm prolly going
        to stop being a moderator there as I don't log in much for obvious
        reasons. Nothing to moderate there anyway as the guys behave
        quite well and it seems all brotherhood here too at Katriders.
        Last edited by Cheap Bass Turd; 09-05-2017, 12:52 AM. Reason: I wanted to edit this message

Comment

• Do not use clear fuel line that are not braided. They will get soft and collapse once it gets hot from engine heat.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            Do not use clear fuel line that are not braided. They will get soft and collapse once it gets hot from engine heat.
            If its braided its not clear.... lol. This is good info, i actually put clear line on mine not thinking about this, im gonna swap to green stripe today

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            Do not use clear fuel line that are not braided. They will get soft and collapse once it gets hot from engine heat.
            If its braided its not clear.... lol. This is good info, i actually put clear line on mine not thinking about this, im gonna swap to green stripe today.

What are these comfy highway bars? Your riding it around feet forward? Can i see?
            Last edited by Mrontime; 09-05-2017, 05:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Yes, I'll toss up some pics.

The top plate for the stock handlebars is on front holding the
              shorty handlebars as forward pegs now, and 3" pullback 2" drag bars
              on the factory top tree holder. Can I post pics right away?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrontime View Post
                If its braided its not clear.... lol. This is good info, i actually put clear line on mine not thinking about this, im gonna swap to green stripe today

If its braided its not clear.... lol. This is good info, i actually put clear line on mine not thinking about this, im gonna swap to green stripe today.

What are these comfy highway bars? Your riding it around feet forward? Can i see?
                There is clear braided line...
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2017-09-07%20Kat%20mods/Kat%20mods%20022.JPG
                  file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2017-09-07%20Kat%20mods/Kat%20mods%20022.JPG

well, that didn't go well.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/user/Pictures/2017-09-07%20Kat%20mods/Kat%20mods%20022.JPG[/IMG]

Had trouble at the KLR site all the time too. Same site templates.

The woodstove site takes pics easily. I think for here I halfta dumb it
                  down on the file size. IE: less pixels. Or, just do a few more posts
                  to hit 15. Like making love, keep tryin' till ya get it right. lol
                  Last edited by Cheap Bass Turd; 09-07-2017, 06:57 AM.

Comment

• Today I changed the brake fluid and bled the brakes. Then I tooth brush washed the engine and cleaned and waxed the frame. After that I covered it all up with fairings.
                    In the saddle since 1973.

Comment

• Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                      You mean like outta the toilet?

Comment

• Carbs are back on. Record time, did it in under 2 hours. Funny how easy the carbs will slip in if the airbox isn't on there, but how incredibly hard it is to do with the airbox attached. This airbox is the spawn of Satan pretty much all the way around. I totally get why people rip it off and throw on little pod filters.

Worked on a couple of non-Kats as well. Carb synched a Yamaha FJ600 and it runs beautifully. Also worked on a Yamaha 750. Plan was also just a carb sync, but it's spitting gas out the intake side of the #3 carb, so no go on that operation until that's figured out!

Comment

• Carbs and Coils on the 1988 GSX600FJ

Was running funky over 6000 rpm. Read a ton and this past week I rebuilt all the carbs, spending an overnight soak on each. Also replaced the coils and the new wires should make a difference. The bike has about 22k miles.

Comment

• Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                            In the saddle since 1973.

Comment

• Finally had a chance to test the Kat after the carb reinstall. It's better, but still not right. #3 is back to full function it appears, but #4 is not (cold exhaust measured while warming up the bike). Won't idle unless the choke is on. While riding choke off, if I don't downshift at higher RPMs, they drop so fast that the bike will shut off while I'm downshifting. It bumps starts back just fine though. I'm getting really good at squeaking on just enough choke to keep the bike running while I'm stopping.

What's odd is that she fires up just as nice as if all 4 were working. While warming up I have normal RPMs, but if I even look at the throttle funny, it'll misfire and rapidly just shut off. Once warm, a little partial choke is enough to get it to stay running at stops. While riding, it's pretty flat under 3k and sounds like a Honda Civic with a fart can. Between 4k-5k the engine smooths out, but is still down on power. At 6k+ it appears that cylinder #4 does work. It's a really quick transition too. Give it some throttle and wait, and then it suddenly switches from sedate acceleration to going like a scalded cat. First time it happened I was totally unprepared and nearly went off the back of the bike it was such a violent switch from underpowered to everything making full power.

Just to make it a funny story, this is exactly what my friend's FJ600 suddenly started doing earlier in the day too! Same cylinder (#4) as well.

Comment

• Post #6687:
                                johnny,

I was having that stuff too on the 1989 I'm
                                coaxing out of hibernation sickness. The soaking
                                took twice and pulling out many of the brass bits also.
                                Got new coils from Bikebandit and together the bike
                                runs excellent. Starts w/ 3/4 choke at the touch of the button
                                and is performance driveable in 5 min or less. The petcock is
                                getting better with the Seafoam running thru the system currently too.
                                (new lines already onboard)

Me hopes you have great results on that '88 !!
                                CheapMark

Comment

Working...
                                X