No announcement yet.
X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I put the bike up on my lift and cleaned the chain thoroughly. Tomorrow I'll check and adjust. I didn't have any lube because my other bike is belt drive so I ordered some Lucus oil Semi Syn chain lube that claims it's safe for O-ring chains. After I got the goop off most of the chain links looked like stainless but some were rusty on the outside. No links were seized and all were flexible. Will know more tomorrow.
    In the saddle since 1973.

Comment

• I guess i broke mine... tried to shorten the wires and delete the guage cluster and now every time i try to kick it in gear it just rattles and dies like i dont even have the clutch in, it wont turn over unless its in nuetral. Wired the nuetral light back in. Is there something im missing with trying to delete the guage cluster? Some wire that needs.. power.... ground.... i rode it around before i started messing with the wires lol i know she works... its something im doing...
      We may not always win the game, but we never lose the party.

Comment

• Never had to use an impact driver on chain guard screws before but had to on the Katana. The took white kerosene and brushed the chain rollers down and finished giving it a good cleaning making sure everything is spinning free. Discovered something interesting while doing this. For later reference if you happen to over lube your chain it will drip out on the floor under the shift linkage and under the center of the bottom near the front.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
        Last edited by Mikesr1963; 08-29-2017, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mikesr1963 View Post
          Never had to use an impact driver on chain guard screws before but had to on the Katana.
          Yeah... I gave up on removing mine and just work around it. Not really necessary to remove generally speaking anyways...

Well, finally had a chance to clean my carbs again. As far as I can tell they were squeaky clean, nothing came out of them. Nothing looks to be wrong. Applying air/vacuum nothing seems to be blocked. Guess I'll throw them back on the bike and see if it runs now. Stranger things have happened...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrontime View Post
            I guess i broke mine... tried to shorten the wires and delete the guage cluster and now every time i try to kick it in gear it just rattles and dies like i dont even have the clutch in, it wont turn over unless its in nuetral. Wired the nuetral light back in. Is there something im missing with trying to delete the guage cluster? Some wire that needs.. power.... ground.... i rode it around before i started messing with the wires lol i know she works... its something im doing...
            Do you have a clutch switch? perhaps you could have disconnected that may cause it either not to start or die when gear engaged I think it's normally closed so disconnecting it will open circuit it Maybe?
            Last edited by Lachie; 08-31-2017, 05:52 AM.
            “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
            Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
            ― Douglas Adams

Comment

• Originally posted by Lachie View Post
              Do you have a clutch switch? perhaps you could have disconnected that may cause it either not to start or die when gear engaged I think it's normally closed so disconnecting it will open circuit it Maybe?
              I had previously deleted it allready, the only safety measure left was the kick stand. It is acting exactly like its down, but i even removed the switch and tried with it wired and even open, same result. I think im gonna have to run thru all the wires... it starts and idles fine, and i rode it a little before i did the wiring.... patience is a virtue.i did notice that though im getting a nuetral light, the oil light doesnt seem to be working....

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrontime View Post
                I had previously deleted it allready, the only safety measure left was the kick stand. It is acting exactly like its down, but i even removed the switch and tried with it wired and even open, same result. I think im gonna have to run thru all the wires... it starts and idles fine, and i rode it a little before i did the wiring.... patience is a virtue.i did notice that though im getting a nuetral light, the oil light doesnt seem to be working....

You could try,,, Find the sidestand relay and connect (loop a wire between the contacts from the plug going into the solenoid from the harness side) the orange black and orange yellow wires together.

Orange colours are secondary power circuits through switches so your just connecting to either side of a switch (bypassing)

To try find some old wire and just stick it in the plug ends. This should effectively bypass the solenoid (switch) and allow a circuit to be completed to the the start switch at all times, simply bypassing the stand switch is not really going to work IDK there is the diode circuit from the neutral light/switch and clutch and stand switch all acting together to power /depower the solenoid.

If you have a combined blinker relay switch this may cause the indicators to stop working in which case bridge the orange green to the blue wire but try all else first just to see if it will run

Now
                Next step would then be to find the two (darker) blue wires going into the diode circuit (don't know if you have a combined diode relay) it may be a separate small box with three wires two blue & B/Bl and one green (which is a loop back from the stand switch) (check wiring diagram if you like)

bridge the blue black and other blue wire together, same as before .

In (my) theory this should allow to throw away the diode, relay & stand switch completely (and can be tried on bike first with little effort, simple maybe)

Anyhow this is what I plan on doing to mine could be worth a try so after this it could be possible to start bike in gear when ever.
                Last edited by Lachie; 08-31-2017, 07:40 PM.
                “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
                Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
                ― Douglas Adams

Comment

• foumd it, im an idiot and thought the ground wire coming from the kickstand was just a random ground wire. So it was unconnected and just doing its job. Found a power wire that was burned out and decided to wire in the led turn signal controller while i was at it. The whole wiring needing to be cleaned up was a to do list item anyways....

Comment

• LOL sorry For a while there I thought you something that resembled a wiring loom LOL

Actually probably something I'm going to end up doing myself
                    ― Douglas Adams

Comment

• Yeah but i had a burned out wire and ive been needing to do this for awhile. Dude if you have a switch with a in wire and an out wire, i.e. the kickstand switch, all it does is contact the two to complete a circuit. Im gonna ground the green wire that i traced back to right near the fuse box. Im leaving the other wiring and the light and ill probably wire the kickstand switch back in later cause its not a bad thing. You can actually see the orange burned wire, it was orange with a white stripe... not sure where it went lol, think its the 7.5 fuse.

after 28 years all this is just a joy, and i see every plastic connection as a liability lol
                      Last edited by Mrontime; 08-31-2017, 08:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Today i fixed my kat. i just took the green wire from the kickstand and grounded it to the main ground, then i rewired everything with new tape and connections. Gonna go for a well deserved test drive first though. I say i cut about 3 lbs of useless and degraded wire out.

Comment

• I had two keys made for mine today.

Comment

• i got the cbr led turn signals working too.... thats a nice feature, no more hand signaling lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Lachie View Post
                              You could try,,, Find the sidestand relay and connect (loop a wire between the contacts from the plug going into the solenoid from the harness side) the orange black and orange yellow wires together.

Orange colours are secondary power circuits through switches so your just connecting to either side of a switch (bypassing)

To try find some old wire and just stick it in the plug ends. This should effectively bypass the solenoid (switch) and allow a circuit to be completed to the the start switch at all times, simply bypassing the stand switch is not really going to work IDK there is the diode circuit from the neutral light/switch and clutch and stand switch all acting together to power /depower the solenoid.

If you have a combined blinker relay switch this may cause the indicators to stop working in which case bridge the orange green to the blue wire but try all else first just to see if it will run

Now
                              Next step would then be to find the two (darker) blue wires going into the diode circuit (don't know if you have a combined diode relay) it may be a separate small box with three wires two blue & B/Bl and one green (which is a loop back from the stand switch) (check wiring diagram if you like)

bridge the blue black and other blue wire together, same as before .

In (my) theory this should allow to throw away the diode, relay & stand switch completely (and can be tried on bike first with little effort, simple maybe)

Anyhow this is what I plan on doing to mine could be worth a try so after this it could be possible to start bike in gear when ever.
                              This is hilarious and terrifying at the same time. I have finished completely rewiring the bike allready and yet im compelled to try and understand these insane directions..... do you have pictures? Lol i have seriously read this like 15 times.

now ot looks like a harness. Its way easier to pull all the wires and trace out the problems and then put it back and honestly know your machine. I put hands on every inch of wire.... mostly cause it was covered in old oil in places. Lol
                              Last edited by Mrontime; 09-02-2017, 05:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• I just got my sheepskin from Alaskan leathers. Looks like a quality piece. Covers the front portion of seat for $55.
                                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                                X