No announcement yet.
X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is my first post and im deciding on going with a street fighter look for my kat so i did faring work and put on a dominator headlight look!

Comment

• Ordered the speedometer replacement.

Comment

• Decided to sync the carbs as the idle was a little rough and there was a little vibration. Man there is a lot of plastic to take off! I bought a Morgan Carbtune as none of my motorcycle owning friends has a carb bike..... So the sync went OK but I have an issue with the idle hanging. I suspect either a vacuum leak from the obsolete scottoiler or more likely the fact my air box drain is missing....

Comment

• Bought more parts. Have been working on the carb reinstall and when comparing parts sheets to my Kat I'm finding missing vent hoses and hose clamps. Tried to do an oil change a couple times recently, but have not yet succeeded. The first time the drive portion of the oil filter wrench (cheap made in China model) sheared off at the welds. So, I bought a nicer made in USA model. Which doesn't fit. It's defective, slightly ovaled out and no amount of pursuasion could fix it. Shop of course is now out of stock, so replacement is on backorder... This is a multi-week oil change.

Comment

• Screw driver and a hammer......done
            I've tried them all, even the K&N with the nut type removal.. Just a bad local for the filter.
            Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-18-2017, 09:01 AM.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Received some new parts for a weekend of fun and hoping to stabilize the idle. Rebuilt carbs and fully rebuilt the whole bike. Starts up and dies out after a couple minutes. Even rode it up the block and the clutch needed a little more adjusting. Fuel gauge tinkering continues. Ordered a new tank sender unit and need to install that this week-end as well. Will need to test the gauge if that doesn't fix it. More fun.

Comment

• The carb sync seems to have made things a little smoother through the rev range and 70mph was about 6k now seems to be about 5.6k. I may be missing remembering though. The idle is still not great and it does hang a little but I do think that is because the airbox drain is missing. I didn't want to strip the plastics again so instead went for a ride....

Comment

• Originally posted by jonnylit View Post
                  Received some new parts for a weekend of fun and hoping to stabilize the idle. Rebuilt carbs and fully rebuilt the whole bike. Starts up and dies out after a couple minutes. Even rode it up the block and the clutch needed a little more adjusting. Fuel gauge tinkering continues. Ordered a new tank sender unit and need to install that this week-end as well. Will need to test the gauge if that doesn't fix it. More fun.
                  Dying after a few mins - couple be running too rich and dying as it warms up, or due to oil in the gas.
                  Or because it's not getting fuel. Test the petcock for proper function and make sure you don't have kinked fuel lines or ones that link as they warm up. And that you don't have fuel filters I'd you have a Pre.

Originally posted by Alchemist113 View Post
                  The carb sync seems to have made things a little smoother through the rev range and 70mph was about 6k now seems to be about 5.6k. I may be missing remembering though. The idle is still not great and it does hang a little but I do think that is because the airbox drain is missing. I didn't want to strip the plastics again so instead went for a ride....
                  Drain tube missing = an air leak. That will definitely make the idle hang up. After you install it, sync again for best results.
                  Last edited by shpielers; 04-18-2017, 07:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• Originally posted by vbetts View Post
                    Ordered the speedometer replacement.
                    this looks awesome do you have a link?

Comment

• Originally posted by vbetts View Post
                      Ordered the speedometer replacement.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/129900770477686580/ linked to egay but unfortunately sold out.
                      Last edited by MotorBikeMike; 04-20-2017, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shpielers View Post

Drain tube missing = an air leak. That will definitely make the idle hang up. After you install it, sync again for best results.
                        Thanks for the advice. I will see what I can find to replace it and cap it.

Comment

• Finally dialed in all the jetting .....Sunny day... Blast through the local twisties... Sensational
                          “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
                          Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
                          ― Douglas Adams

Comment

• Carbs mostly reinstalled back on the bike. Feeling good about maybe having this thing running again someday!

Comment

• Carbs now secured to the engine boots. Man, that was a lot of effort. Just short of an hour of work to get those pushed on and the clamps secured. Absolutely ridiculous amount of effort to push them on, moving like a nanometer at a time until they suddenly popped into place.

Now I've got fastener confusion. The screws I have marked as securing the airbox to the frame don't fit... They just slop around in the holes. Argh. Now I'm going to have to go through all the screws and confirm each and every remaining one for the locations I have open still.

Comment

• Removed my carbs for the first time.

Comment

Working...
                                X