X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1LE View Post
    Individual carbs now completely disassembled. Amazing how clean they are, there's really no cleaning to be done. I guess that's from using a little Seafoam over the Winters? However, there's a lot of plastic/seal/gasket type parts that are in horrible shape!
    Pilot circut might still be dirty - tiny internal passages that you cant see. The float bowls looking clean tell you nothing about what kind if shape the pilot circut is in.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• Originally posted by shpielers View Post
      Pilot circut might still be dirty - tiny internal passages that you cant see. The float bowls looking clean tell you nothing about what kind if shape the pilot circut is in.
      That seems to be clean too. Finished disassembly and started cleaning (until it started to rain) today. Everything already seems very clean. Just about every seal, gasket, and hose is in sad shape, BUT, still no *definitive* root cause for the start of this episode though (the huge gusher of fuel dumping down the side of the bike all of a sudden). All the issues I've found would have been small dribbles here and there, not the waterfall of gasoline that I had.

2 notable things though.

1) This bike must be modified. The fuel screws were all a full 2.5 turns out, but it was running fine before. So, that suggests different jets. However, wouldn't that mean airbox side mods too? It *does* have a K&N filter, but has the "stock airflow volume" restrictor in place. Other than the fact that it's hard to start below freezing, it ran great.

2) I didn't see any evidence of fuel in the oil (no fuel smell, no second level of gas floating on the oil in the window). I'll still change the oil of course, but perhaps the gas wasn't coming from the carbs after all (despite all the internal gasket/seal issues found with them). The fuel lines were in really bad shape internally, but actually still hold. I'm replacing them, but they were not the immediate cause of the fuel leak. Nothing found wrong with the fuel selector either. So, I may very well fix all these bad items, put it back together only to have a repeat of the leak on first startup. Or it may be OK, and then suddenly come back at the worse possible time. This is very concerning.

Comment

• I looked at covered in black widow webs..getting my list together to revive it. Now if I can get my custom ignition done.. dot head coming also.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• after a week long soaking in carb cleaner, assembled the carbs and installed on the bike. fired it up, and at first all was good, then rpms jumped steadily to 5k-6k. looked for a vacuum leak and found that one of the boots wasn't on correctly. redid boot and tried again. again bike jumped up to 5k-6k. more research.....
          Steve
          94 Katana 600

Comment

• Originally posted by 1LE View Post
            That seems to be clean too. Finished disassembly and started cleaning (until it started to rain) today. Everything already seems very clean. Just about every seal, gasket, and hose is in sad shape, BUT, still no *definitive* root cause for the start of this episode though (the huge gusher of fuel dumping down the side of the bike all of a sudden). All the issues I've found would have been small dribbles here and there, not the waterfall of gasoline that I had.

2 notable things though.

1) This bike must be modified. The fuel screws were all a full 2.5 turns out, but it was running fine before. So, that suggests different jets. However, wouldn't that mean airbox side mods too? It *does* have a K&N filter, but has the "stock airflow volume" restrictor in place. Other than the fact that it's hard to start below freezing, it ran great.

2) I didn't see any evidence of fuel in the oil (no fuel smell, no second level of gas floating on the oil in the window). I'll still change the oil of course, but perhaps the gas wasn't coming from the carbs after all (despite all the internal gasket/seal issues found with them). The fuel lines were in really bad shape internally, but actually still hold. I'm replacing them, but they were not the immediate cause of the fuel leak. Nothing found wrong with the fuel selector either. So, I may very well fix all these bad items, put it back together only to have a repeat of the leak on first startup. Or it may be OK, and then suddenly come back at the worse possible time. This is very concerning.

2.5 turns doesn't mean modified, that's just where it should have been put from the factory. That doesn't indicate a jet kit or airbox mods, just that someone knew that it should have been set to 2.5 to start with.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

• Originally posted by shpielers View Post
              2.5 turns doesn't mean modified, that's just where it should have been put from the factory. That doesn't indicate a jet kit or airbox mods, just that someone knew that it should have been set to 2.5 to start with.
              Ah, OK. Based on what I read I was expecting only 1.75 turns for stock (with 2-2.25 for modified)... I was a bit concerned after all 4 were an identical 2.5 turns!! I'll definitely put them back the way I found them!

So, touched the bike as I walked by tonight... Maybe tomorrow evening I'll have enough time to get back to those carbs!

Comment

• Bled the rear and front brakes out

Waiting for the cylinders to finish being bored and honed at the machine shop to 0.5mm over. The 2 and 3 cylinders were all rusted and pitted.

Anyone have a good source for new 0.5mm over pistons and rings that won't break the bank. Found one clean piston on Ebay for $32 but need 3 more.

Did a bit of research on Stage 1-3 carb jetting and it sounds like the Stage 1 is best with the stock airbox and Vance & Hines SS2.

-JL
                1988 GSX600FJ

Comment

• Originally posted by jonnylit View Post
                  Waiting for the cylinders to finish being bored and honed at the machine shop to 0.5mm over. The 2 and 3 cylinders were all rusted and pitted.

Anyone have a good source for new 0.5mm over pistons and rings that won't break the bank. Found one clean piston on Ebay for $32 but need 3 more.

-JL
                  1988 GSX600FJ
                  Ronayers.com looks like they have a .5mm over piston and ring set. $93 each. (Looked for my year '06. Double check they have it for yours) So they're out there. Shop around and you might be able to find a better deal.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

Comment

• My float bowl gasket set finally arrived today after waiting a couple weeks. Looked at it, admired it, now need to match up parts lists for everything else I still need and then get those things ordered. At this rate I may have the bike back together by Spring.

Comment

• Pile o' parts arrived earlier this week. Spent an hour or so this morning sorting them out. Missing tank "bumper" replaced, cracked breather hose replaced, swapped out all the new o-rings and seals I got. Sorted out bad clips and got everything lined up to start carb reassembly.

Noticed I'm missing one more set of o-rings, will need to figure out which ones those are. Also noticed that the replacement fuel lines I got are significantly different that the ones that were on the bike, but with the carbs in pieces all over my workbench it's hard to see if they'll work out or not.

Comment

• Got new tires on and put some lame rim tape on. But hey 4 for tape ehh. Also looking for calipers to swap.

Comment

• Carbs all reassembled now except for those 2 pesky springs between 1/2 and 3/4. Launched one of them across the garage, but luckily was able to find it again. Not sure why they're fighting me so. No rush either way, the rest of the bike is inaccessible due to ice/snow currently.

Comment

• Finally reinstalled the rebuilt motor

Sorting wiring and getting ready for startup.

My 1988 Suzuki Katana GSX600FJ Restoration. After buying this exact bike in 1988 and riding it from NJ to California in 1988 and back a year later, I sold it with about 21k miles in October of 1991. Since then, I had regretted it and decided to search for the bike with the old VIN number in February of 2015. Could not believe I found it for sale on Craigslist, bought it sight unseen, and finally picked it up. The previous owners changed to aftermarket fairings and had a blue tank on it. The seat was recovered in black vinyl. It still had the signal lights and Vance and Hines exhaust I installed on it. The restoration is now completed in May of 2017, exactly 29 years after the original purchase. I paid $3199 for it when it was new. The total purchase, powder coating, machine shop, and parts added up to $3208. Aside from the powder coating, boring the cylinders, head work, and fork rebuilds, I completed all of the work myself. Even handled the start up, balancing of the carbs, and tuning to be a daily rider. Of course it will not be, as I think I burned 8 of my 9 lives on this thing back in the 80's. Please check out the shots and share your thoughts!

New pics at the bottom.

Enjoy,
                            JL

Comment

• Wiped a bunch of grime off of it...So far. Later I'll be looking into the electrical demons, and taking some tension off of that chain.
                              sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
                              2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                              2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

• I remembered both of mine.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
                                X