What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally chopped that damn fender off

Comment

• Well its more of what I have done over the last week. but anyway here it goes

pulled carbs out and cleaned them
      got the jetting right . I hope. guy that worked on it before had the main jets backwards. reassembled them.
      installed them back on the bike. learned that putting them back in is way more difficult.
      added gas in the tank, primed carbs, hit starter ,*click click click* battery is dead ... day ended.
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=132122

Comment

• reposted the for-sale ads.

Couple nibbles. No bites
        2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
        - Aaron

Comment

• Measured the static sag on my '90 750, and decided to replace the steel 200mm fork spacers with 230mm PVC spacers. Sag is now at 30mm front, 35mm rear.
          All this is just for novice level track day.

Comment

• Went urban exploring!

Comment

• Post fork overhaul test ride #2. We left this story with a bike that rode nice on test ride #1, but was misfiring severely under 3k RPMs....

I grabbed my infrared thermometer and my spark gap tester and headed out to the bike today planning on at least figuring out which cylinders were being spiteful (it sounded like it was only firing on 2 cylinders before). Perhaps even finding an ignition issue (when misfiring the bike would smell strongly of gas in the exhaust). Rolled the bike out and noticed that the once per revolution click from the front wheel that used to be fairly quiet (and would only occur *after* riding) is now noticeably louder and I hadn't even ridden yet. It just sounds like the speedo cable/pickup clicking, I've had the same issue in one of my cars for the last decade without any other noticeable impact on performance. So, let's start with the "doesn't run well" issue first since that's likely to be a bigger can o' worms. Wouldn't you know it, the bike fired up perfectly fine today... OK fine, I'll put the tools back in the house, gear up, and go for another test ride.

I went out just around our local neighborhood for about 5 minutes and bounced over a couple speed bumps, then shut it down. Engine ran flawlessly. The once per revolution click was gone. Forks still dry so far. Well, OK, let's go for a longer ride. I'll still stick to nearby city streets though just in case something decides to go boom.

So, I set out in search of rough roads and speed bumps. Found some and bounced around on them for about 20 minutes or so. Got back home, still no clicking in the driveway, engine ran perfect the whole time (and I purposefully did some careful riding at slow RPMs too in order to try and provoke an issue). Right fork (which had a "moderate" leak before) is completely dry. Left fork (which was leaking severely before), crap, there's a single drop of oil that pushed up through. Sigh, so the forks aren't completely solved. The left one looked fine while apart, but there must be some wear somewhere that the new seal couldn't completely cover over. I don't think I'm going to be in a huge rush though (I don't ride very many miles), I'll wait until it leaks more as the old severely leaking one actually didn't loose that much fluid (in volume). Doesn't take much oil to make a mess all the way down the fork I guess.

Pushed the bike back into storage and the click came back, at the normal time as I was wheeling it about, but a bit louder than normal. Anyone else have that before and find an easy solution? Should I try taking apart the speedo assembly and oiling/greasing the cable or the pickup? The pickup side was off when I pulled the wheel obviously and it appeared to have what I would call "sufficient" grease...

Comment

• New chain cleaned Pilot jets and por-15 sealed the tank.

Comment

• I took it apart

Follow my custom build thread! (check first post for major updates and to sell me parts!)

Free Parts

Comment

• Brought her home from my parents house last night and rode to work this morning.
                    Haven't rode since last year. It feels good to be back.
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=132122

Comment

• Finally uploaded video to Youtube of the new Two Brother Exhaust. I used a HD camera so I hope its up to the communities standards. So far Im happy. I am installing a Dynojet Stage 1 Jet Kit tomorrow and K&N air filter as well. Along with an oil change. Really to rock and roll.

Treat everyday like it's your last....

Comment

• Originally posted by hallj22 View Post
                        Finally uploaded video to Youtube of the new Two Brother Exhaust. I used a HD camera so I hope its up to the communities standards. So far Im happy. I am installing a Dynojet Stage 1 Jet Kit tomorrow and K&N air filter as well. Along with an oil change. Really to rock and roll.

https://youtu.be/eJzhd_Idl08
                        Looks and sounds great man

Comment

• Originally posted by hallj22 View Post
                          Finally uploaded video to Youtube of the new Two Brother Exhaust. I used a HD camera so I hope its up to the communities standards. So far Im happy. I am installing a Dynojet Stage 1 Jet Kit tomorrow and K&N air filter as well. Along with an oil change. Really to rock and roll.

https://youtu.be/eJzhd_Idl08
                          SIC! Nice improvement. I think you'll like that stage one kit as well. Did mine last month.
                          ------------------------------------------------------------
                          You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!
                          ------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• "What did I do to it today"......bugger all

Comment

• Left fork (which was leaking severely before), crap, there's a single drop of oil that pushed up through. Sigh, so the forks aren't completely solved. The left one looked fine while apart, but there must be some wear somewhere that the new seal couldn't completely cover over.[/QUOTE]

look for a small dent in fork tube- from a rock? mine leaks a small amt after new seal was installed.
                              Last edited by KAT TOY; 07-12-2015, 08:27 AM.
                              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

• Started the stage one kit over weekend with a buddy. Turned out to be a bigger project than I thought. Didn't have a few tools that I should have had, almost stripped a screw on the carb bowl, ect. Will hopefully finish it tomorrow evening.
                                Treat everyday like it's your last....

Comment

Working...
                                X