No announcement yet.
X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ordered a cruise control kit... will do a project post when i install it, and a new GPS because my map's "You are here" mark is misleading...lol
    "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

• Just ordered a taillight. Looking at seats, footpegs, levers, reservoirs, etc...
      '88 Suzuki GSX1100F streetfighter project

Comment

• Replaced starter cover and gasket to fix my oil leak, which made me change the oil and the filter (needed to anyways).

Just got a replacement air filter in so I'll be replacing that this weekend.

I also just got a new chain brush so I'm gonna clean my chain and surrounding areas that have been getting splattered with oil for 3 years (from my starter cover).

NO MORE OIL ON MY DAMN LEFT BOOT!!!
        1998 Katana GSX750F
        “If you are not at least a little scared about riding your motorcycle every time you get on it, you should not be riding.”

Comment

• Got my engine back in the frame and worked on building more... then found this gash on my rear tire.

Comment

• Finished installing the frame slider on the right side of the bike. Anybody else have to grind down the frame a little and/or the frame slider bracket?

Also went to the Suzuki dealer to pick up my lower cross bar (the one that goes under the front headlights - and holds the front of the fairing in place). I was wondering why the front kept making a rubbing sound and looked so flimsy. I hate it when PO's take things apart and don't put things back together again.

Also ordered a new XENA XX6 rotor lock/alarm for the bike. Might also order a helmet cable later on since the factory lock only holds helmets by the D-ring and I want to be able to run a cable through the eye opening of a full face helmet instead.

Finally, my parts for my COATS 5060E tire changer finally came in, so I'm working on fixing my air powered tire bead breaker cylinder so I can mount the new Pilot Road 4's.

Oh, last thing, my nephew took the MSF course this past weekend and passed everything but now needs to wait a few weeks for his DMV paperwork. Hence I still have the bike in my possession for a little while. Just hoping for the rain to go away.

Comment

• T-Rex frame sliders arrived yesterday....

Comment

• Originally posted by ovilla View Post
                Finished installing the frame slider on the right side of the bike. Anybody else have to grind down the frame a little and/or the frame slider bracket?
                I've got T-rex's on my Kat. I definitely had to grind down the one corner of the slider holder to get it on my Kat.

Some of the paint was a bit on the thick side and didn't want to sit nicely, so I ground off a bit of one of the corners and it sits just fine now. I wouldn't recommend grinding down the frame at all. Frame sliders you can replace, the frame you can't (without a lot more effort).

Originally posted by trumper View Post
                T-Rex frame sliders arrived yesterday....

Fighting with these switches on my Kat. Thought I had everything figured out for my HID's, but not quite. Gotta spend a bunch of time figuring stuff out again
                2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
                - Aaron

Comment

• we're gettin' there...

Replaced the UNI air filter with a stock filter from bikebandit

I also used degreaser on the lower left side of my engine to get the oil buildup off that was from my starter cover. Pretty easy, just spray, let sit for 10-15, then wipe off.

Also degreased/cleaned my chain and lubed it back up.

Gonna be nice this weekend so I'll be out and about!
                  1998 Katana GSX750F
                  “If you are not at least a little scared about riding your motorcycle every time you get on it, you should not be riding.”

Comment

• 90 gsx750f

Finally catching up on maintenance…a year later.
                    Wouldn't turn over a year ago March. I knew it was the starter but was too busy to fix it.
                    This month I took all the body panels off and the carbs so I could pull the starter and test it. Tested good!
                    I am such a backwards ass, it was only a bad relay!!!
                    I coulda/shoulda tested that 1st, as that would have been easy.
                    Anyway started up today after some patience waiting for the gas to loosen up the carbs.
                    Sounds wicked cool again!
                    Probably annoyed my neighbors wippin' the REVs up to the red line.

Comment

• Don't feel bad bill. I torn down a set of carbs because I was running on 3 cylinders. Then discovered the spark plug wasn't attached to the cable
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                        Don't feel bad bill. I torn down a set of carbs because I was running on 3 cylinders. Then discovered the spark plug wasn't attached to the cable
                        My friend's ZZR was running like crap. Thought it might be the carbs because it was sitting all winter, even though he had put StarTron in it. Right before the teardown commenced, I got the idea to use my IR thermometer to look at the exhaust. # 2 header pipe was cold. Hmmm, wonder why ?

The spark plug galley was full of water from a spring washing. Unlike my 750, there isn't a drain hole in his ZZR plug galleys ?? Seems silly. I figured they must be plugged up but after looking it over, there just aren't any drain holes.

Blew the water out with compressed air and all was right again.
                        2005 Katana 750

Comment

• Well, after some test riding, I confirmed that it's definitely pumping oil out through the dust seals of the front forks. Time for an overhaul it appears...

So, last Saturday I (with some help from my wife) managed to muscle it around and up a ramp to a location where I can work on it. Got it up on the stands and by then the sweat was just pouring off me, so I decided to knock it off for the day (after just an hour).

So, on to *today*, a much cooler and less humid day. Through the part where the front wheel comes off, but taking a break now (took me roughly an hour to get to this point) because I've only been able to break loose 1 of the front fender to fork mounting screws. If they weren't stainless, I'd swear they were rusted solidly in place. Not sure what else to do, so they're soaking in PB Blaster now. Hope that helps. Not looking forward to the possibility of having to tear the whole front of the bike apart so I can drill them out.

Comment

• Another hour in tonight before the light started to disappear. Definitely going to end up doing things the hard way now. One of the fender screws stripped right out while I was trying to loosen it. Thought maybe I could drop the forks + fender as one complete unit, so moved to the fork mounts. Got the lowers loose with only minor difficulties. Uppers, I can't get at because the handlebars are in the way. Big problem #2 is the handlebars. Those are in worse shape than the fender screws. One of them was already stripped before I even got to it, and the other looks good, but won't budge at all.

Everything's soaking in PB Blaster for the night, will have back at it again tomorrow night. Not really expecting it to help though, this is looking to turn into an exercise in cutting/drilling. Hopefully I don't damage too much of the rest of the bike while getting it apart, but it's looking likely that at least some of these parts are going to need to come out the hard way (and possibly in pieces)...

Comment

• Originally posted by 1LE View Post
                              Another hour in tonight before the light started to disappear. Definitely going to end up doing things the hard way now. One of the fender screws stripped right out while I was trying to loosen it. Thought maybe I could drop the forks + fender as one complete unit, so moved to the fork mounts. Got the lowers loose with only minor difficulties. Uppers, I can't get at because the handlebars are in the way. Big problem #2 is the handlebars. Those are in worse shape than the fender screws. One of them was already stripped before I even got to it, and the other looks good, but won't budge at all.

Everything's soaking in PB Blaster for the night, will have back at it again tomorrow night. Not really expecting it to help though, this is looking to turn into an exercise in cutting/drilling. Hopefully I don't damage too much of the rest of the bike while getting it apart, but it's looking likely that at least some of these parts are going to need to come out the hard way (and possibly in pieces)...
                              I was luckier than what you are going through. Saw the writing on the wall so I changed out the four that go through the fork brace plate with allen head bolts that take a larger size wrench. Those little ones strip too easy.
                              Good luck!

Comment

• This will be the first day in 7 whole days that I've gotten a chance to ride! Been Itchin!! Gunna go pick up a sexy lil thing and hit the streets! Ride On Brothers!
                                My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                                X