No announcement yet.
X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original pieces are the two metal strips that bolt on where the grab bar bolts on. I just used some 22 gauge steel from home depot.
    The two strips lay flat on the body work and then bend horizontally after going over the top of the grab bar. The next piece was the metal base that came with the cheap scooter trunk off of craigslist. A bolt goes through it near the front and through the top of the grab bar using a spacer between the base and grab bar. Then the trunk mounted on top of that. The two front bolts for the trunk go through the base and the two metal strips bolted to the bike. The rear bolts go through just inside of the two metal strips so I used one of the pieces from the mounting kit from the trunk to sandwich the two metal strips. As mentioned, it was a bit bouncy. I ended up finding two thick strips of metal in a scrap bin that I bent and bolted on to triangulate it all. The two pieces that triangulate the setup are not pretty and I have not painted them. The grab bar is still mounted using the rubber washers so I think my remaining slight movement up and down is from that. If I get around to it I may remove the rubber washers and paint the whole thing later. I mounted the plastic base for the new black trunk directly to the metal base plate that was originally installed.
    Attached Files

Comment

• i looked at me kat today..thats about all the attention she's got in a while
      94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

• Cleaned the chain and sprockets, cleaned the rear rim, wiped down the frame and side covers. Took a few parts off to paint.
        My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

• Finally got around to using some real needle gauge paint for my tach and speedo. Colour isn't as dark as I would like it to be, but at least I'll be able to see my needles when riding in the dark now (organish-red, but it's fluorescent)!

Posting this while waiting for coat #1 to dry. On to coat #2!

Also Looking forward to tackling my headlight mod. Still have to figure out the wiring a little bit before I really dig into er. Don't want to be cutting wires if I don't know what does what!
          2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
          - Aaron

Comment

• 5* advance installed on the 600.
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• Originally posted by shpielers View Post
              5* advance installed on the 600.
              Interested in your thoughts on how the power feels. I ride a lot in lower rpm ranges and have heard that this makes the bike feel better in the lower rpm ranges as far as corner exit is concerned.

Comment

• Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
                Interested in your thoughts on how the power feels. I ride a lot in lower rpm ranges and have heard that this makes the bike feel better in the lower rpm ranges as far as corner exit is concerned.
                Does that require running higher octane? I'm thinking more timing advance at a low RPM range would cut down on the safety margin there, especially on hot days.

Not that I have hot days to worry about now. Just topped off the tank and threw some Seafoam in since we've got a whole week of single digit (both above and below 0 F) headed our way. This may be it until March...

Comment

• The 5* went on a CA spec 2006 600 that uh..."lost" the emmissions extras. Other than that, the carbs/exhaust are stock (a/f screws at 2.5 turns out). (Also the 06 600 CA stock timing is 4*, same as the rest of the USA, not 7*)

It's about the same as moving up a tooth or two on the rear sprocket. Not a huge difference, but there. I notice it where others have said, 4-7k rpm, with the most noticable difference being in the 6-7k range. After that, the bike is hitting peak power. So for me it feels like that part of the power band got dropped down into more accessible regions for highway cruising. I like it.

No, it does not require running higher octane. It is not being advanced enough to cause pinging. If your bike is running lean, then it might be a bit of a problem. Or if it's super hot, like 100+ degrees (F). Since it's winter, I early haven't come across that yet, but I am running cooler spark plugs to try and avoid it. Since the timing is fixed, it is advanced across the entire RPM range, not just at lower rpms. The lower rpms are just where the extra torque is the most noticeable.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

Comment

• Got some more of my wiring figured out for my headlight upgrade. Wired up my switch for my headlights and she works! LED Halo for when my headlights are on, no halo when they're off.

Now just to figure out where to put said switch so it's visible...
                    - Aaron

Comment

• Stared hopelessly at the pile of parts in my garage before leaving to go to work this morning...

Comment

• Originally posted by plox View Post
                        Stared hopelessly at the pile of parts in my garage before leaving to go to work this morning...

Hopelessly? Don't sound too enthusiastic now
                        - Aaron

Comment

• Plugged her into the battery tender, with a predicted low of 12* I don’t want to kill the battery.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

• Installed new smoked lenses yesterday.

Smoked Lenses Front.jpg

Smoked Lenses Rear.jpg
                            2005 Katana 750

Comment

• Like the look. Do they effect visibility any?
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

• From what I can see they are the same in the rear and a little wider field of view in the front, which I like.

I think the long lines on the front lenses act as a light pipe with the LED bulbs I put in.

I'll try to catch them on and post a picture...
                                2005 Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                                X