What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain adjustment, clean and lube.

Comment

• Had a nice ride. Finished my observations of the drastic difference in fuel consumption between various conditions. 50-55 mpg highway, mid-40's in town on longer trips. 30 something in town with short trips. I swear it sucks gas like a big block V8 during warmup.

*edit*

Oh yeah, I forgot... Played around with the ignition switch some and was able to duplicate my earlier problem involving the stuck taillight. Seems like sometimes when I turn the bike off, the taillight just wants to stay on despite everything else shutting off. Turning the bike on then off continues to fix it. Something must be funky in that ignition switch, but it's very strange that it's *only* the taillight that sticks on and all the other lights shut off! Brake switches seem to be uninvolved.
      Last edited by 1LE; 09-14-2014, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1LE View Post
        Oh yeah, I forgot... Played around with the ignition switch some and was able to duplicate my earlier problem involving the stuck taillight. Seems like sometimes when I turn the bike off, the taillight just wants to stay on despite everything else shutting off. Turning the bike on then off continues to fix it. Something must be funky in that ignition switch, but it's very strange that it's *only* the taillight that sticks on and all the other lights shut off! Brake switches seem to be uninvolved.

There is a parking light component to the switch selection.

From turning counter clockwise... On, off, lock, park.

Park = rear tail light stays on.

If your getting the parking light with out locking the switch, your switch probably has a connection issue inside that needs to be addressed. Sometimes the soldered connections are not optimal...

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• Attempting to finally figure out how to properly wire up a projector headlight mod.

Seems like everyone in their dog has a diagram, but no one has confirmed which ones work.

Time to continue my research! Gotta get this done right the first time (for an electronics idiot (me))

If anyone wants to provide feedback for a 100% correct wiring diagram (using Time Delay Relays), please feel free.
          2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
          - Aaron

Comment

• Good luck man. There are a lot of things I've learned on my bike. I would like to do some of these mods but the electrical side of things has me waiting. It is amazing how simply electricity works but how complicated anything to do with it can be.
            Find out if someone near you has done it. Offer some $ for them to meet with you and walk you through it.
            I know, if it were that easy.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
              Attempting to finally figure out how to properly wire up a projector headlight mod.

Seems like everyone in their dog has a diagram, but no one has confirmed which ones work.

Time to continue my research! Gotta get this done right the first time (for an electronics idiot (me))

If anyone wants to provide feedback for a 100% correct wiring diagram (using Time Delay Relays), please feel free.
              For my procjector mod (Pre-98 here) I opted to use a switch so that I can control when it comes on rather than a time relay due to it's more practical real-world applications (ignition on but woops I'm in neutral and so on)
              Get 12V source from the fusebox, or elsewhere (simple battery terminals if you really want to as my buddy did) + and -. Route the - straight to your setup while the positive is routed through the switch (electrics 101, complete the circuit of + and -)

I mounted my switch on the dash, drilled 1/4in. hole for rocker switch to fit through (had a retaining setup in the switch) and has a blue LED that indicates current is on.

As far as the harness your H4 (if that's what you're going with) should plug right in and for any halos you might be doing it's the same wiring setup . I chose to do my halos on one not through a keyed electrical source for show-time.

Perhaps FJCharlie or any other post-98's can chime into the specifics with the harness hookups.
              - Purplehaze
              All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

• waiting for integrated tail light in mail, just got my vertical license plate bracket today.
                Every time i sign in i learn something new from the members

Comment

• Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  From turning counter clockwise... On, off, lock, park.

Park = rear tail light stays on.
                  Ha! Never knew there was a parking light switch setting. It only has happened when I've shut it down and turned to lock without really paying attention to what I'm doing. I bet I'm over-rotating it into the park position that I never knew it had!

I'm going to run outside and check right now!

** update **

I do believe that's exactly what I was doing! Well, now that I know, I can operate it properly now... The hazards of buying a used bike, no owner's manual, get to deal with all kinds of mysteries!
                  Last edited by 1LE; 09-15-2014, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purplehaze View Post
                    For my procjector mod (Pre-98 here) I opted to use a switch so that I can control when it comes on rather than a time relay due to it's more practical real-world applications (ignition on but woops I'm in neutral and so on)
                    Get 12V source from the fusebox, or elsewhere (simple battery terminals if you really want to as my buddy did) + and -. Route the - straight to your setup while the positive is routed through the switch (electrics 101, complete the circuit of + and -)

I mounted my switch on the dash, drilled 1/4in. hole for rocker switch to fit through (had a retaining setup in the switch) and has a blue LED that indicates current is on.

As far as the harness your H4 (if that's what you're going with) should plug right in and for any halos you might be doing it's the same wiring setup . I chose to do my halos on one not through a keyed electrical source for show-time.

Perhaps FJCharlie or any other post-98's can chime into the specifics with the harness hookups.
                    Good advice. It's actually the same advice FJ Charlie gave me a day or two ago haha.

What power source did you use for your halos?

I'm planning on using the 12V source from the california cooling fan for my projectors, but I wouldn't mind my halos being on 100% of the time just for looks.
                    Not sure if I should draw power from the 3rd light (I want to keep the third light as well tho), or just run some new wiring somewhere from the ignition/fusebox.
                    2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
                    - Aaron

Comment

• Hi all,

Been a while! Finally got the Kat put back together... Just need to take her to have the shock serviced/rebuilt, I have picked paint, so getting the plastics sprayed up, hopefully this weekend.

Need new pads, as the rotors are in good condition and she will be back on the road...

Now I just need to lose some weight to get back in my old gear....

Comment

• Last night I pulled the carbs on my 1100 for hopefully the last time. I will be tearing them down, and taking measurements on all of the O-rings and trying to get a full kit of O-rings worked out with cycleorings.com.

I'm not taking any shortcuts and I built my own soda blaster to clean everything on the outside up. I'm going to run through and check all the jets.

Quick question, the pilot plugs, what do they do? (rubber plugs in pilot passage)
                        1990 GSX1100F- abandoned in 2005, rescued by me in 2011, I'm gonna ride it if it's the last thing I do.

1981 GS750EX- Father in law gave to me, full resto in progress with late model suspension.

1979 GS850G Free shafty

1978 GS550E- The wife bought it for me for father's day (So she could learn to ride on it too)

1977 RM80- My son's resto.... he's 3...

2012 Qigo quad- pink Camo for my little princess.

Comment

• oil change, 14 tooth sprocket, regular cleaning and ofc riding
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
                            Good advice. It's actually the same advice FJ Charlie gave me a day or two ago haha.

What power source did you use for your halos?

I'm planning on using the 12V source from the california cooling fan for my projectors, but I wouldn't mind my halos being on 100% of the time just for looks.
                            Not sure if I should draw power from the 3rd light (I want to keep the third light as well tho), or just run some new wiring somewhere from the ignition/fusebox.
                            I wouldn't use the fan's power. Had a buddy with a 1999 GSXR SRAD600 have a wiring hell after he made that mistake.

I ran a small terminal connector which routes down the sides of the battery to male connectors, then through a switch-mounted dash. Definitely wouldn't want them on 100% of the time when parked. And when projectors are on I don't run the halos. Tests at distance show no difference in appearance with halos on/off due to the projector's glare.
                            - Purplehaze
                            All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

• Clear coated paint on repaired lower fairings got safety completed .

Comment

• Damn I want some halos to
                                I just wanna ride my bike
                                2001 katana 600

Comment

Working...
                                X