No announcement yet.
X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sent it out for tire install and general checkup. Came back a couple hours later with the new radials on it, but the front calipers dangling from a bungee cord. Both front calipers (and brake lever) locked up while he was unloading it from the trailer at the shop. Very strange, since I've been riding it around no problem ever since the caliper rebuild. Guessing I should probably start with the master cylinder.

Also came back with a laundry list of parts that are on their last legs. So, I've got some shopping and then maintenance work to keep me busy this Winter!

Comment

• i didn't do anything to the Kat, but I got a jacket!
      Attached Files
      99 Katana 600

Comment

• Took the lower fairing of the 1100 to clean t he gunge off the engine cases and re black the header pipes. As is always the way with Suzuki it wasnt that simple to do. Had to drill the fairing bolts to get them out. Re made the three fish plates that join the bottom of the fairing and bought new stainless steel dome head allen bolts. Half hour job took all afternoon, but it was nice to get time on the bike...
        sigpic
        "Teaching boys to bake cakes? That's no way to maintain an industrial empire."

Comment

• Cold mornings. Easy starts but long warm-ups. That touchy enricher lever, never gets quite where I want it to be.

Until I found that turning the steering tugs on the cable just enough to fine tune the enricher. To the left, more RPM, to the right, less RPM.
          2006 GSX600F

Comment

• Picked up a Haynes manual from Autozone. Much better having paper in my hands than trying to deal with a computer while working on the bike.

Reinstalled the brake calipers and tested the brakes. Unable to duplicate any of the issues the mechanic had with the brakes during the tire installation. Bike seems to roll the same as before (my first bike, so no idea if it's dragging or not, nobody else that's pushed it around, and knows motorcycles, seemed to find it to be unusual though). No undue effort was required to separate the pads (much less than either of my cars). Brakes grab and release fine as far as I can tell.

Katanas must not have any parasitic power load to speak of either. The Shorei battery shows only the tiniest discharge despite not having been run in probably a couple weeks. Maybe more? Dunno, can't remember when I rode last...

Unfortunately they came through and brined the crap out of our roads, so I won't be taking the bike out for a test ride until it rains and washes it away. Might be months. We're having unseasonably cold weather so far this year. Doesn't normally get into single digit temperatures until mid to late January.

Comment

• I installed this http://www.vikingbags.com/sport-cord...e-tail-bag.htm
              Still gotta figure out a way to make it a tighter fit and hide the excess slack on cord.

Comment

• Wanted to make a small bracket for the fairing, got up at six to have a go. Managed to find the steel before my other half woke up and swept down on her broomstick. By 8am I was getting ready to go Christmas shopping. Its now 4:45pm and I have managed to do sod all on the bike or the steam engine! another day closer to death and a wodden box and no closer to getting what I want done! the domestic handbrake strikes again!
                sigpic

Comment

• ^^^^ post of the day!!

Comment

• installed gauges. i'll keep the gps mount for trips

Comment

• First time taking off the fuel tank. I have been wanting to do the mesh mod but I have to push the choke off at the plunger so it was time to check out the cable. I was hoping to find some way of freeing up the cable but it looks like I will.be ordering a new one. I did find that the air box drain tube was disconnected so got that corrected. I was hoping to ride this weekend but it looks like next ride will be in January if weather holds out.

Comment

• Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
                        First time taking off the fuel tank. I have been wanting to do the mesh mod but I have to push the choke off at the plunger so it was time to check out the cable. I was hoping to find some way of freeing up the cable but it looks like I will.be ordering a new one. I did find that the air box drain tube was disconnected so got that corrected. I was hoping to ride this weekend but it looks like next ride will be in January if weather holds out.
                        the drain tube should be plugged if it isn't.
                        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

• Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                          the drain tube should be plugged if it isn't.
                          The tube was plugged. It did have liquid in it so at least it is in place and empty now.

Comment

• Stripped the arse end off the 1100, all the plastic and the mud guards. Wire wheeled the back of the frame and repainted in silver. The light frame went in the sandblaster and then got a coat of etch prime and then gloss black. New rear number plate and the associated mounting brackits.
                            Sandblasted the battery box and coated it up with black roofing paint, thatl never rust again!
                            All this went well but removed the chance of taking the bike for a ride on the one dry day forcast for the next two weeks! Mind you I did put 75 miles on it yesterday.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Too cold to do anything here. -20c today so all I can do is walk by the bike sitting in the garage and wish for warmer weather. Oh well going to take the snowmobile out.

Comment

• Installed some foam handguards that just did not hold up against the wind so today I made some aluminum braces to hold them out from the levers. All said and done I spent just under $20 and about an 1.5 hours. It is 36f out and the wind gusts are hitting up over 50mph so I just ran up and down my street with bare hands and only got a little chilly. Took my hands out from behind the guards and BIG difference.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X