No announcement yet.
X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced the sprockets (chain going on soon)

found there was no nut holding the front sprocket on!

Comment

• no seat key!?

I recently just bought a 94 katana gsx600 and i didnt know you needed a key to take off the seat and the guy never gave me one. I want to change my oil but cant get the seat off. is there anything i could do or anyway i could get a key?

Comment

• its the same key to start the bike

Comment

• Unless the barrel or the seat lock have been changed.
          Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

• I tryed the ignition key it didnt fit so i dont know what it could be.

i realized i dont need to take the seat off to get to what i needed but i would still like to be able to take it off is there anyway i could get into it?
            Last edited by mw648; 11-09-2013, 12:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• FedEx guy dropped off my Shorai battery today. Tiny little thing it is, but it's got some serious punch. Supposedly pre-charged to 70% (manual says to throw it in and ride, only charge to 100% if going into storage).

Took some time fitting all the supplied inserts around it so that it would sit properly in the battery bay. Realized that there's hold down strap missing from my bike. Tied it down with some twine temporarily (going to place the hold-down strap order as soon as I'm done here) for testing purposes.

Cranked the bike a couple times for 10 seconds a piece and it wouldn't fire. Nice fast crank, no slowing at all. That battery is solid. Realized I forgot the choke. Doh. OK, use choke, try again. On the 5th try after that it sputtered and died. Finally on the 7th try it caught and fired. Idle was really erratic and it died several times on me suddenly. I'm figuring it's bad gas from sitting for so long (I did throw in a couple gallons of fresh gas). Eventually it starts to smooth out, so I let it run for a few minutes. Through all that the battery never seemed to drop in the slightest. VERY impressed so far.

After warmup I shut it down and pushed it out to the driveway, topped up the tires (they were about 15 lbs low), geared up, and jumped on the bike. Fired right up (no choke since it was warm). Settled into a perfect idle. Took her around the block and down to the local shopping plaza for some riding practice. Ran like a champ the whole time, and I remembered how to operate all the controls too.
              Last edited by 1LE; 11-09-2013, 01:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nismo View Post
                Replaced the sprockets (chain going on soon)

found there was no nut holding the front sprocket on!
                Wait Whaaaaaa!? Holy Shyte man that's spooky! I'm going to go check mine right now!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1LE View Post
                  FedEx guy dropped off my Shorai battery today. Tiny little thing it is, but it's got some serious punch. Supposedly pre-charged to 70% (manual says to throw it in and ride, only charge to 100% if going into storage).

Took some time fitting all the supplied inserts around it so that it would sit properly in the battery bay. Realized that there's hold down strap missing from my bike. Tied it down with some twine temporarily (going to place the hold-down strap order as soon as I'm done here) for testing purposes.

Cranked the bike a couple times for 10 seconds a piece and it wouldn't fire. Nice fast crank, no slowing at all. That battery is solid. Realized I forgot the choke. Doh. OK, use choke, try again. On the 5th try after that it sputtered and died. Finally on the 7th try it caught and fired. Idle was really erratic and it died several times on me suddenly. I'm figuring it's bad gas from sitting for so long (I did throw in a couple gallons of fresh gas). Eventually it starts to smooth out, so I let it run for a few minutes. Through all that the battery never seemed to drop in the slightest. VERY impressed so far.

After warmup I shut it down and pushed it out to the driveway, topped up the tires (they were about 15 lbs low), geared up, and jumped on the bike. Fired right up (no choke since it was warm). Settled into a perfect idle. Took her around the block and down to the local shopping plaza for some riding practice. Ran like a champ the whole time, and I remembered how to operate all the controls too.
                  you might want to add some SeaFoam fuel stabilizer to clean up the jets.
                  never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

• Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                    you might want to add some SeaFoam fuel stabilizer to clean up the jets.
                    Good idea, I'll stop by the parts store and pick some up.

Comment

• Phone / GPS mounting plate

I stuck one of the suction cup discs on my tank bag but never liked it. It always moved around and I did not like the power cord running from the t bag over to the handle bars.
                      I made this mounting plate in a few hours. I have never made anything like it so I think it turned out ok.
                      22 gauge steel from home depot for less than 10$
                      1 thin metal cutoff wheel
                      primer and paint
                      I used a grinder with the cutoff wheel to cut it out and a larger wheel to shape it a bit. I plan on using auto door edging to clean up the look on the edges.
                      If you were to print out the template it measures 6" across.
                      It mounts to the bolts for the handlebars under the triple tree.
                      It does block the view of speed over 100 and RPM under 4k. I guess I could have bent it down over the top of the triple tree but I wanted it more under the windscreen. If I change the angle of the iphone it takes video through the windscreen also.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• I did a fork oil change today. It was pretty nice out so I am a bit bummed out not to ride but at least she has fresh oil now. I noticed that the forks were up further in the triple tree than what is recommended in the repair manual so that was taken care of also. I can't wait to go check out the ride. The bike has 14,000 miles on it and is 15 yrs old. I think it was original oil in there.

Comment

• I was going to change my oil as well but i couldnt find the drain plugs. Yes it is a pre

But my new intake boots should be here any minute so ill slap them on. Hopefully gets me out of putting up christmas decorations with the Ms.
                          Last edited by moodylane; 11-16-2013, 03:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• put the head back on...

Comment

• Originally posted by moodylane View Post
                              I was going to change my oil as well but i couldnt find the drain plugs. Yes it is a pre

But my new intake boots should be here any minute so ill slap them on. Hopefully gets me out of putting up christmas decorations with the Ms.
                              should be a (8mm I believe) bolt on the bottom, back side of each fork. Just behind the axle basically.

be very careful though..easy to strip on reinstall.
                              Last edited by crazycraven420; 11-17-2013, 04:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

• Took the Kat out for about a 75 mile ride this morning. I know that I have read on here what a big difference fresh oil in the forks make but it was nice to feel. The front was really harsh over bumps (any bumps). I thought it was probably going to stay that way, I am 225 and the bike is 15 yrs old. I cannot believe what a difference it made. I guess I am going to need to save up for some spring upgrades and something for the rear shock. I tell you I am loving this bike more each time I take her out.

Comment

Working...
                                X