What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a OEM air filter!

Comment

• k&n filters are 70$ A PIECE!! HOLY ****ING LORD BAT MAN!!! I have some on my bike and there all squished was GOING to replace them, but not anymore lol, today on my cat I will be tearing the ****er apart
      1992 kat 600 Mods, mesh sides dual head lights custom mounted gauges, racing chain, integrated tail light, custom mounted license plate mount. :bunny2

Comment

• Has anyone mentioned that you'd be better off with the stock airbox and filter?

Cost less than a new K&N, too although if you're dead set on using a K&N in the stock airbox I've got one I can sell you cheap.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
          Has anyone mentioned that you'd be better off with the stock airbox and filter?
          Mine came with K&N dual pods and I'd like to get a stock box bc I want to sneak a lil N20 in it!

Comment

• Start with going back to the stock setup. Then you'll have a good baseline to work from. I haven't heard of many people going with NOS on a Kat, though. I suspect it's not a really good candidate for that. Now, an early '80s GS1000, that's another matter. Lots of guys using them to build drag bikes.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

• Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              Start with going back to the stock setup. Then you'll have a good baseline to work from. I haven't heard of many people going with NOS on a Kat, though. I suspect it's not a really good candidate for that. Now, an early '80s GS1000, that's another matter. Lots of guys using them to build drag bikes.
              my kat is jetted someone said it needs more air flow when jetted, don't quote me I could be wrong
              1992 kat 600 Mods, mesh sides dual head lights custom mounted gauges, racing chain, integrated tail light, custom mounted license plate mount. :bunny2

Comment

• Originally posted by GSX-600F View Post
                my kat is jetted someone said it needs more air flow when jetted, don't quote me I could be wrong
                As a general statement thats true, but not when it comes to the Katana engine.

I went through the same issue with a Uni drop in, couldnt tune around the flat spot from 5k-7k.
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

• True but...

These bikes have Constant Velocity carbs. CV carbs need to build some vacuum to operate and they can't do that if there isn't some intake resistance. If you really want to get the most out of the engine you need to go to flat-slide carbs. Problem with that is that they don't respond well to atmospheric pressure changes. Change altitude or change temperature and you're changing the jets to compensate. CV carbs are a lot more forgiving. It takes a pretty big altitude change with them before you need to adjust the mixture and even then it's usually just a matter of adjusting the A/F mixture screws to richen or lean out the mix.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Um, this doesn't have anything to do with Nitrous Oxide, which is what they are talking about. N2O.

And no, jet kits don't necessarily need more air. It's the other way around. If you want more flow, you need more fuel. It sounds like a technicality, but it's actually reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

I went through the same issue with a Uni drop in, couldnt tune around the flat spot from 5k-7k.
                      so I should but the box back on? or is it fine with pods?

Comment

• Put the box back on. With a stock filter. You'll think you've gained a whole lot more HP but actually it'll just be the same HP delivered smoother and without the notchiness.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

so I should but the box back on? or is it fine with pods?
                          You need to find out what "jet kit" is in your bike. The brand, the stage, etc. If you can't ask the previous owner, you'll have to take your carbs off to get the numbers on the jets.

If you think it runs good now with pods, you really need to try it with a stock airbox and stage 1 kit.

Comment

• well right now while taking off she kinda sputters I give it a little gas and she hauls ****in ***! and some times in 4-5 gear just Cruzin she will back fire a little I'm getting the carbs cleaned tomorrow then synced hopefully

Comment

• Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

I've done all kinds of things to these bikes and have NEVER bn able to get rid of the flat spot...It just moves around lol So i tuned mine to 3-4.5 considering I keep it revved I could use a good syncing too!

Comment

• Originally posted by stretched600 View Post
                                I've done all kinds of things to these bikes and have NEVER bn able to get rid of the flat spot...It just moves around lol So i tuned mine to 3-4.5 considering I keep it revved
                                you might as well speck japanesse cause I have no idea what you just said lol ps. a little tipsy ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X