X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did a lot sunday, not that anyone cares, but here it is:

Fixed my headlight and got the HID setup working in the stock housing. Aimed half-decent, too. With the low-beam type HID bulb I got (with the sliding Hi-beam shield position), the cutoff line is actually pretty decent, and part of the reason I have HID is for daytime visibility. I ride through an immigrant-heavy asian community to and from work, and since not all of these cagers had cars in their home country, the driving style in these parts can leave something to be desired. So, I'm a bit more visible in the daytime and during the dusk hours that I ride home from work.

Made my own custom LED tail light. Modified the hell out of a 9.99 LED trailer light from wal-mart. Brighter than hell when on. Definitely worth doing and fits neatly behind the stock lens and perfectly fills the open space in the housing.

When I got the bike, only the speedometer was illuminated, the bezel was covered in cheesy fake carbon fiber tape. And there were these cheesy rings of blue LEDs around the gauges. I removed the blue crap and fake carbon. Then I took a look at the back side of teh instrument cluster light harness. Cut to ****. I salvaged the male end of the harness light connector and its leads and connected a series of three 194-type LED bulbs/sockets, which fill the empty holes left by the type 74 bulb sockets quite nicely with a little adjustment. the lighting is very clean. note: I also added a stick-on clock. yes, I know it's tacky but it's the best solution I came across for figuring out what time it is.

I also got the fuel gauge working! yay!

I also replaced the missing rear passenger grab bar, since my lady actually enjoys riding 2-up with me.

The Katana isn't a sportbike, but it's ideal for riding with your lady on the back as you snake through the twisties. (FWIW: buying your lady armor is another way to say you really care-- i got some lovin out of it!)
    Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
    Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
    2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

• Originally posted by black&blue View Post
      Did a lot sunday, not that anyone cares, but here it is:

Fixed my headlight and got the HID setup working in the stock housing. Aimed half-decent, too. With the low-beam type HID bulb I got (with the sliding Hi-beam shield position), the cutoff line is actually pretty decent, and part of the reason I have HID is for daytime visibility. I ride through an immigrant-heavy asian community to and from work, and since not all of these cagers had cars in their home country, the driving style in these parts can leave something to be desired. So, I'm a bit more visible in the daytime and during the dusk hours that I ride home from work.

Made my own custom LED tail light. Modified the hell out of a 9.99 LED trailer light from wal-mart. Brighter than hell when on. Definitely worth doing and fits neatly behind the stock lens and perfectly fills the open space in the housing.

When I got the bike, only the speedometer was illuminated, the bezel was covered in cheesy fake carbon fiber tape. And there were these cheesy rings of blue LEDs around the gauges. I removed the blue crap and fake carbon. Then I took a look at the back side of teh instrument cluster light harness. Cut to ****. I salvaged the male end of the harness light connector and its leads and connected a series of three 194-type LED bulbs/sockets, which fill the empty holes left by the type 74 bulb sockets quite nicely with a little adjustment. the lighting is very clean. note: I also added a stick-on clock. yes, I know it's tacky but it's the best solution I came across for figuring out what time it is.

I also got the fuel gauge working! yay!

I also replaced the missing rear passenger grab bar, since my lady actually enjoys riding 2-up with me.

The Katana isn't a sportbike, but it's ideal for riding with your lady on the back as you snake through the twisties. (FWIW: buying your lady armor is another way to say you really care-- i got some lovin out of it!)
      You do the fender yourself?

Comment

• can you post up a link to the bulbs and the hid kit? looks good

Comment

• Originally posted by numus View Post
          You do the fender yourself?
          No, it came pre-chopped.

@Garbagekid:

I used a 6000k HI/LO HID bulb that has the shield attached to the bulb. It seems to make a huge difference in reducing glare for oncoming traffic since my cutoff line seems to be pretty smooth and about where it ought to be.

I work for a company that imports a lot of this sort of crap from China and overseas to wholesale distribute here. Apparently they used to offer some moto stuff but now stick to cars exclusively. Anyways the point I'm getting to is that this was just extra crap that was lying around the workshop here, so there's no real link to it. It's just an Xtune branded HID kit.

The tail light I'm much prouder of and it's super cheap and easy. If you have some time and a cutting tool, a $9.99 Wal-Mart LED trailer light, once trimmed, fits nicely into the housing and offers a huge increase in light output over the incandescent bulb.

LED's for the cluster are the standard, cheapie convex-lens 194 bulbs you see everywhere.
          Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
          Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
          2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

• Installed new petcock, checked the clutch (jerks when shifted to 1st). Now prepping for fairing repairs and paint.
            Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

• Finally got bike back after having a host of things done.

Red braided brake lines
              New grips

Powder coated:
              • Wheels
              • top triple
              • clip on bars
              • triple clamps
              • bar ends
              • levers
              • grab bar
              BEFORE

AFTER

Comment

• This is what I did to my Kat today. It met a kerb while I was parking, hit the front brake too hard and there it went
                It's the most noob made mistake right? Damn it!

Last edited by mELIANTE; 02-22-2012, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• What i did yesterday and today

Sanded down the tank and plastics had to pull some dents out of the tank and try and fill it in. got it painted flat black and put back together for my mandatory bike training class on base. and i have to say it ran like a champ
                  Attached Files
                  Sylentkilla
                  USN AirFramer
                  "You Bend EM We Mend EM"

Comment

• I started taking my plastics off to find out why my instrument bezel rattles and to cut off the shovel and install the integrated clear taillight

Comment

• Well it was the Busa and not the Kat but I replaced the chain and sprockets today. Added +3 to the rear and adjusted the speedohealer accordingly. It only took me a little over an hour and a half to get it all done.
                      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

• Today the Kat got a trickle charge on the battery.............spring is coming......

damifino
                        94' Kat 600, 2004 Dakota, 2007 Freestyle
                        "Less is more"

Comment

• Yesterday but...
                          Got the bike out and rode her... to an appointment at the kid's school, to work and then back to the house to get the truck so I could go get the other kid from school. Sigh...

Going to have to clean the carbs again. Apparently filling the tank and treating with Seafoam wasn't enough this year. Sigh again...
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

• ill be putting on a new gas cap today and tomorow i will be doing the integrated tail light mod!

Comment

• Well yestarday i installed the grips Left side went on like a champ the right fought me every chance it got. but i did get them on.
                              these are the ones i installed
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/160622786229...84.m1439.l2649
                              Also installed new mirrors which is still work in progress since they didnt line up to the original holes and bracket
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/330688391501...84.m1439.l2649

SO once i get all back together today i will take pics of it

"Sex with out love is really just exercise.So grab a friend and let's all workout!!"

Freebird01 " ok so kid cuts school and jumps in the Schuylkill river and dies....darwin at work?"
                              >JayBell " Express lane Darwin, no lines, no waiting, instant gene pool deletion

Comment

• I've sent the fairings to a body shop for some repairs and to get painted
                                And also ordered some new stickers and a touring windshield.
                                My Katana's hystory: http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/512776.html
                                Suzi's makeover: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=faa08f6a3f

Comment

Working...
                                X