No announcement yet.
X

My "ohmygod" moment...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I rarely use my back brake. In fact, I usually don't even cover the back brake pedal unless I'm in a situation that looks like it has a higher chance of throwing me a surprise (A product of the awkward position it puts my foot in). I do practice my braking now and again and the '14's brakes are superior.
    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

I don't use the back brake much either. Normally I come to a stop by using a combination of the front brake and the downshifting engine. I was in a single lane Interstate situation a year ago on my Kat (single lane due to roadwork...concrete barriers to my left, guard rail to my right---more or less put me in a chute) and the traffic was doing about 75 mph. I was watching the car in front of me (about four car lengths beyond me) and the driver put on the brakes and came to a complete stop, leaving me no exits around him due to conditions, and I began to pump the front brake. When I got dangerously close and was still doing well over 60 mph, I had the choice of colliding with his vehicle and then going through his back windshield, or throwing on the back brakes, which I knew would lock my wheel and throw me into a skid. I chose the back brakes, locked the wheel, rode it for a little while, and then high-sided, was thrown off the bike, and tumbled down the Interstate.

Is there, or was there a better way to handle that? I hope there is and that someone might share it. I would have hit the car at around 60 had I not locked the back wheel. I'd like to know your opinions for the next time. Most people don't go off a bike at that speed and live to tell about it according to what EMTs tell me.
      Last edited by zuma; 09-05-2008, 11:16 AM.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
        Is there, or was there a better way to handle that? I hope there is and that someone might share it. I would have hit the car at around 60 had I not locked the back wheel. I'd like to know your opinions for the next time. Most people don't go off a bike at that speed and live to tell about it according to what EMTs tell me.
        I don't know that anyone can list a better way to handle a situation they weren't there to witness. As long as you keep good distance between you and the car in front of you or otherwise maintain an 'out', you probably won't get into a situation where you'll dump the bike. Sounds harsh but it's true.

The best advice for stopping I can give is to maintain firm front brake pressure and use less of the back brake, increasing as you need it. Keep your eyes up and on your target (the target is not the car you're about to slam into either). Finally, you should practice, practice, practice your braking technique. How are you going to initiate a course of action if you've not tried it? -My $.02
        =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

There's a rear brake on a bike
          Guylaine
          Try and keep up now

Comment

I know it feels silly sometimes, but in a situation with no escapes and going that fast it would really help to count off the seconds from the car in front of you. At that speed and with no shoulder you might need 7 or 8 seconds of time (perhaps more) between you and the next car. I know that is a lot of distance, but when I feel like I'm being too cautious I just remind myself that I can't afford to be as reckless as someone in a cage.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. When I found myself in the "chute" situation, I became extremely aware of everything, and had an 18 wheeler behind me. I had plenty of space between myself and the car in front of me, unless of course he were to come to a complete stop, which he did. Normally, no actually 100% of the time I'm around cars, I plan an escape.
              In this case where none was apparent, I just held my breath, realizing my situation, and the impossible scenario happened. (why slam on brakes, come to a complete stop like that?) The blocked off lane to the left was only for 1/8 of a mile or less. Was high-siding the better alternative to going through his back windshield? Hard question, I know; you guys weren't there. Any opinions?

Comment

Any opinions?
                Yeah, I'm definately of the opinion that going through his back windshield would not have been a good idea. -Unless you followed it up by sitting up in his back seat and saying "Taa-daaaa!!!!
                =USAF= Retired

Comment

quite often the best advice is to not put yourself in the situation. Now before you thwap me for that one, think about this. You can see thru the car ahead of you, or around it in most cases. I never ever drive one car ahead of me if i can help it. I am always lookin as many cars up as possible looking for brake lights and stuipd. If i cant see, i back off putting space between me and thee, screw those behind me. Given the 18 wheeler's driver does this for a living, and is way up there inna air, i have to have at least a little faith that he's watchin ahead, and good enough at his job not to run me over.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                    Unless you followed it up by sitting up in his back seat and saying "Taa-daaaa!!!!
                    Heeeerrrrrreeeeeeeeeees Johnny!

Comment

Originally posted by Nero View Post
                      ... Unless you followed it up by sitting up in his back seat and saying "Taa-daaaa!!!!

Awww, Jeez... I've done that LOTS of times.

Oh... on a bike? Sorry, my bad.
                      Thinkin' about drive-in movies in high school again.

... The blocked off lane to the left was only for 1/8 of a mile or less. Was high-siding the better alternative to going through his back windshield? Hard question, I know; you guys weren't there. Any opinions?

Tough call but I agree with Nero. Back windshield = Bad.

Since I wasn't there this may be a lame suggestion but I would go for whatever open space I had then do the panic stop. Highside, lowside... didn't really matter, you're only delaying the impact which in this case was better than the immediate impact of the rear windshield (and the back of the car, as well).

BTW... I try to use the 70/30 braking rule, forcing it to be habit. I feel better knowing how to use the rear now than wait until an emergency situation to find out. If you're uncomfortable with over braking with the rear just adjust the pedal so it takes very heavy pressure to lock it up. You want just enough to feel it engage but not enough to stop the bike.
                      Last edited by tdrcomm; 09-05-2008, 07:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      sigpic

Comment

That particular situation you mention gives me the willies just picturing it. 75 mph straight ahead with no recourse left or right if something should go wrong. I'd probably had left about 12 car lengths between me and "jackass" in front of me.

On another note, not sure why you were "pumping" the front brake and then locking up the rear. I think you'd be surprised how incredibly hard you can stop using the front brake without much of skid--so much so that you have to use your legs with all the force you can muster to grip the tank to keep from going over the bars. Going to the track and practicing hard braking into fast turns can really help build front braking confidence.

My .02 worth.

Comment

[quote=Helmet_Hair;1540945]That particular situation you mention gives me the willies just picturing it. 75 mph straight ahead with no recourse left or right if something should go wrong. I'd probably had left about 12 car lengths between me and "jackass" in front of me.

On another note, not sure why you were "pumping" the front brake and then locking up the rear. I think you'd be surprised how incredibly hard you can stop using the front brake without much of skid--so much so that you have to use your legs with all the force you can muster to grip the tank to keep from going over the bars. Going to the track and practicing hard braking into fast turns can really help build front braking confidence.

This piece of information may well save my life one day. I pumped the front brakes because I was afraid of losing control by overdoing it. The guy came to a dead stop so quickly, and I was watching the whole time; I was on the pavement tumbling in a matter of seconds. I knew the back brake would lock my wheel, but at that point, I just wanted to decrease the smack at the point of impact.

Luckily it threw me off and I tumbled before any impact with his vehicle occurred and when the tumbling ceased, I braced myself to spring off the pavement, away from the truck following me, but was helped by the grace of God and found myself standing on the curb, unaware of my bike's whereabouts, and having no idea where the car had gone.

The first person on the scene (where I remained standing, calling my wife on my cell phone) was a sweet, young nurse who helped me to lie down behind the protection of the guard rail, and immediately after that, another young female was the second to arrive, a physician no less. Then the ambulance arrived and took me to the ER for a look-see.

I fixed my bike, believe it or not for less than $100. I was on crutches for two weeks due to sore ankles, and was back on the Kat in two weeks and two hours, due to a passion for the ride. I never heard of or from the nurse or the doctor...maybe they were angels. Probably they were. If you don't believe in them, how can they help you?

And thanks for your responses. I'll rely on that front brake to an even greater degree in the future.
                          Last edited by zuma; 09-06-2008, 12:55 AM.

Comment

I'm just glad to hear you made it out of that situation alive.

Todays tires offer unheard of performance and grip compared to even just 5 years back. You can thank our brave superbike/moto GP gang for that. Under normal road conditions, a person is more likely to "stoppie" under hard braking with the front brake firmly employed. I think the important thing is not to panic and grab a huge handful all at once. This just takes good old fashioned practice and getting used to the feeling of the front end diving under that kind of braking.

I've been riding for over 30 years (despite being new to KR) and I still get "pucker" moments at least once a month (I ride to work through town: busses, taxis, and other idiots). I think that it's not that experienced riders don't get scared--trust me, we do--we've just learned to trust our responses under these conditions and trust our equipment to do the job when we need it to.

Cheers!

PS. Zuma, you''re my first "friend"....Thank-you!

Comment

Originally posted by Wheel View Post
                              +1.. I've locked my rear tire up numerous times and let off the brake a bit because I was headed dead straight... But, I could see that becoming a habit rather than a thought-process... I suppose building the "keep it locked" habit may be a good idea..

Though probably not locking it in the first place is the best idea of all?
                              I think one of the problems is the bike might seem dead straight to you but it actually isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X