Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!I went for about a 100mile ride and now worried about my bike.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!I went for about a 100mile ride and now worried about my bike.

I finally took my 1992 KAT gsx600 out for the first time today and put about a hundred miles and I tell you what, it's got to the closest thing to smoking on crack. What a high, I can't sit still. I love my bike, there's only one problem though. Shortly after I got off the highway the bike was reving extremely high, so high that I had to shut the bike off and then restart it. The rpms came down after taking off in first, but when I would come to a stop it repeated that sequence a couple times. I thank the Lord that I was able to make it home. Can anybody help with some info as to what to do about this situation.

Stuck floats, mine did that a few times. I just ran some seafoam through it, and luckily they freed up.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Seafoam...strait from heaven, brought down to bless all bikes.
      sigpic

Comment

I had that happen to me once. When I was at stop lights the rpms were between 4-5 and once I got moving in first gear would drop right back down. I'm not sure if it was just because it was a hot day and it corrected itself - that day I also rode about 70-100 miles. But what I did was adjust the idle a bit and the problem went away. The idle is, at least on my bike, on teh left hand side of the bike hiding in one of those vent pockets. It's worth a shot.

Comment

As the bike heats up, the idle will climb. But that shouldn't be a problem as long as you're moving or right after you stop.
          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
          -Terence

Comment

I will run some Sea Foam through the engine tomorow. Bless you guys for the help. I am truly impressed with the way knowledge is passed down. Thanks again and god bless.

Are there any members on this forum from the West Michigan area? I would really like to hook up with some of the forum guys and ride out for a few miles someday.
            Last edited by willgonzalez750; 08-25-2008, 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

what I did was adjust the idle a bit and the problem went away
              Had the same issue during the first free ride, did the same by adjusting the idle. After re-breaking in the engine (bike haven't been ran for quite a while) it clears up. O yeah, I also poured in couple bottle of carb cleaner and run the bike thru couple full tanks.
              sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
                I had that happen to me once. When I was at stop lights the rpms were between 4-5 and once I got moving in first gear would drop right back down. I'm not sure if it was just because it was a hot day and it corrected itself - that day I also rode about 70-100 miles. But what I did was adjust the idle a bit and the problem went away. The idle is, at least on my bike, on teh left hand side of the bike hiding in one of those vent pockets. It's worth a shot.
                This is because once you start going you're putting a load on the engine and slowing it down.

If you were to pull in the clutch while you were driving, it would likely still stick at 4-5k instead of dropping to idle.

I had the same problem last week, but my problem was a stuck choke cable. Eventually it would vibrate back to the closed position, but when first starting it, with the choke on, it would rev high because the choke wouldn't close.

Comment

Originally posted by PilotC150 View Post
                  I had the same problem last week, but my problem was a stuck choke cable.
                  that cable was some sorta stuck. When i first started workin it i could hardly pull it thru the sheath after moving the choke lever on and off. Took a half hour of Marvel Mystery Oil and workin it to get it freed up. the Sync helps quit a bit too with erratic idles.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me. But I noticed that it stopped doing the high idle thing after downshifting to a stop instead of just coasting to a stop or riding the clutch to a stop. I also added some seafoam to it shortly after that and have had the problem since. So not sure if the seafoam fixed my issue or if it was the downshifting to a stop to get the engine to back down...
                    [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

seafoam is a great product

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                        that cable was some sorta stuck. When i first started workin it i could hardly pull it thru the sheath after moving the choke lever on and off. Took a half hour of Marvel Mystery Oil and workin it to get it freed up. the Sync helps quit a bit too with erratic idles.
                        Thanks for fixin' that for me, by the way.

Comment

make sure your throttle cable is routed between your forks not off to the side. I had this happen before and the bike would rev if you caulk the handle bars to the side

Comment

Working...
                          X