X

a few upgrades?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 96 stuntin 101 View Post
    i told him i want the best a money wasnt an issue!! so hopefully hes as good as my cuz says he is!!
    bring it over son, and don't forget your wallet!
    sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
      Nonsense. K&N filter is only a bad upgrade without a corresponding jet upgrade.
      and when you find the right jetting upgrade, AND a way to make the vaccum right, let me know

Comment

ok so you guys keep saying that the K&Ns are no no's on the kat but I didn't see why... did I just miss that post or is it suppose to be a commonly known thing that has slipped past my head.

Comment

Arsenic,
          on automotive applications we used to use vaccum canisters to maintain a constant vaccum to the distributor advance. Now, I know the problem is not the ignition, but do you know if anyone has tried a vaccum canister to the carbs to overcome the bog? and is it even possible given the limited space?

anyone...
          sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

never heard of it being tried. PODs don't work on Katana for 2 reasons:
            1 - vacuum
            2 - The katana cam lobes are to mild for them.

Comment

I was considering upgrading to GSXR camshafts and talked to a bunch of people that said I would never get my carbs set up right, regardless of jets or stage used. The reasoning was that since the Kat has 36mm bore carbs, and the gixxer has 40mm throttle bodies it just would never brathe right unless I also upgraded to gixxer injection.

I decided that it just wasn't the direction I wanted to take with this bike, I could just go buy a gixxer if I wanted that.

So, with that being said, does it mean that the Kat engine is limited to engine mods because of the cams? if so, I have to believe that the Susuki engineers did it for a valid reason like protecting other components like the tranny.

Comment

can I tell you how much BS that is? You certainly don't use GSXR cams when it was FI 88-92 CARBED GSXR 750. oh and you'll get the carbs and jetting right, I've done it, 5 times. And not with 36mm carbs, twice with 32mm, twice with 33mm and once with 36mm. The engineers didn't do that to prtect internals, do you know what the Katana engine is? It's a 1988-1992 GSXR 750 engine with cheap cams. They didn't make it like that to protect things they did that too make it CHEAP thats what a Katana is CHEAP! Who are these "PEOPLE" you talked to, will they do a little dance for me? Next time you want to upgrade something, don't talk to those "people" read this:
                A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

and ask me. Unless it involves a turbo, then don't ask me
                Last edited by arsenic; 07-26-2008, 05:08 PM.

Comment

cool, thanks for the link. It is exactly what I thought. I have 20+ years as an automotive & heavy mechanic and just learning on bikes. The guys I talked to were from the local motorcycle shops, I didn't get a good vibe from them right from the beginning so I'm not surprised to hear your comments.

Like I said earlier, I opted not to buy an SS for a reason, but I printed your "installing GSXR cams In a Katana" thread just in case.

Just to be clear: which are the best cams to use for a 2006 (part#s if you can be that specific)

Thanks again
                  Cheers

Comment

depends best TOP END 88-89 IN are the same 89 EX has the most lift and will give you the best power, 88 seems to suit the Katana better Actually the Katana engine is a 85-92 GSXR 750, but it fit's in with 88-92 better 2006 600 or 750? I can give you part numbers. 600 and 750 really doesn't matter:
                    88-89 GSXR 750 IN 12711-06B90
                    88 EX - 12721-06B90
                    89 EX - 12721-17C90
                    I'd go with the 88 EX, oh wait, I did I have a brand new one sitting here
                    Last edited by arsenic; 07-26-2008, 05:57 PM.

Comment

thanks, thats a big help.

I still might decide to do it as a winter project, I'll ask my Santa in high heels to start saving her pennies.

Comment

you can't use FI cams, the timing sprocket is on the side not the center, those tools really need to buy themselves a friggin clue. Let me guess they went to MMI?

Comment

Originally posted by baddkat View Post
                          I was considering upgrading to GSXR camshafts and talked to a bunch of people that said I would never get my carbs set up right, regardless of jets or stage used. The reasoning was that since the Kat has 36mm bore carbs, and the gixxer has 40mm throttle bodies it just would never brathe right unless I also upgraded to gixxer injection.

I decided that it just wasn't the direction I wanted to take with this bike, I could just go buy a gixxer if I wanted that.

So, with that being said, does it mean that the Kat engine is limited to engine mods because of the cams? if so, I have to believe that the Susuki engineers did it for a valid reason like protecting other components like the tranny.
                          As I was reading this I was freaking out and hoped someone like arsenic would step in before me. Arsenic is right!!!! did I just say that?
                          TDA Racing/Motorsports
                          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                          Who knows what is next?
                          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

like my MMI comment Thom
                            of course I'm right, I'm ALWAY'S right

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              like my MMI comment Thom
                              Yes Chris,
                              I didn't see what fact is that the 1988-1989 gixer. What about carb size?
                              TDA Racing/Motorsports
                              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                              Who knows what is next?
                              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

it's about stroke, not so much carb size, Carb size is 36mm 88-89 38mm 90-92. Stroke is 90-92 GSXR 48.7, 98+ 750 and all year 600's, stroke 88-89 GSXR 44.7 pre 98 750.

Comment

Working...
                                X