X

Second time out....problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second time out....problem

If this is a dumb question to an easy problem, I apologize now. OK, to the problem. I have a 98 750, took it out Friday night for the first time...no problems. This morning ( Saturday ) I took it to my parents house because my dad wanted to see it. Rode there fine with no problems. My father wanted to take it down the street, so I said fine. Ten minutes later, no sign of him. I drove down the street in my wife's car and see him sitting on the side of the rode. I get out and see fuel leaking pretty heavily. We push it back to the house and it seemed to be coming out of the top of the second carb from the left side. I will attempt to explain what we did, seeing as how I'm not too familiar with carbs. We took off the top plastic cover and removed the spring and rubber boot. It seemed to be wet with fuel on the outer edge like it was leaking from there. We cleaned it up and put it back in and made sure it seated just right. Started it up, no leaks...but it runs for a few minutes then dies. When I took it down the street, it skipped just a little and when I come to a sudden stop it dies. It's also hard to start, but will after a minute or two. I didn't do anything to it other than put everything back the way it come out. Anyone have any suggestions. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain it as thoroughly as possible.

Float stuck??

Tear the carbs down and clean 'em. Check float heights.
    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by ThatTibGuy View Post
      ...when I come to a sudden stop it dies. It's also hard to start, but will after a minute or two.

Also, check your fuel hose. Could be old and kinked.
      sigpic

Comment

I thought about the lines myself. When I tore it down to see where it was leaking, I checked the hoses and all was well. Like I said, I'm not too familiar with carbs...so this may be a dumb question. How do I check the float height? I work on cars all the time, just never with carb'd ones...so I'm sure I could tear down the carb, clean it and get it put back together but I have no idea what I'm looking at on adjustments.

Comment

Working...
        X