X

So who started out on a Kat 750?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So who started out on a Kat 750?

I am a new rider and I have already asked a couple of questions before and done a number of searches about beginner stuff, including about whether a Katana 750 was the bike for me to begin with. Seemed like a number of people have started on one of these and had good results, and were able to enjoy them for years afterward, not just a year or so like the more traditional beginner bikes. What I want to know is what quirks, tricks, etc. do you wish you had known about the bike before you started on it. I am signed up for the MSF style course that Harley sponsors, and I will be going from two days on a Buell Blast to my riding my 750 (around my neighborhood only, to start),. I know there is a steep power differance, and also a large weight differance. What else should I look out for or do you wish you had known about the 750 before you started riding it? What 750 (2006 model especially) specific tips have you picked up that you could share? Thanks in advance for the input.

I started on a '95 750 about three years ago, I've put over 30K miles on it and still don't feel that I've "outgrown" it or become bored with it. I definitely think it was the right bike for me to start on, and having ridden a 600 Kat that a friend of mine recently purchased and started riding on, I don't think I would've been happy on a 600. Maybe my perspective is skewed from being on the 750 first and I'd have liked a 600 just fine had I started on it, but now I don't like riding his bike, I feel more comfortable on my 750, I like the added power, but most importantly I like the ride height/seating position better.

As far as neat tricks, I think the coolest one I discovered is the easy way to put the bike on the center stand, took me forever (and a couple searches on here) to figure that one out. Also how to cancel the turn signal indicator, took a month or two to accidentally figure out that pushing it in cancels it, you don't have to try to slide it side to side to a magic spot to turn it off (I'm sure I looked like an idiot going from one turn signal to the other while I tried to get it to turn off )

Afraid I don't have any real helpful tips, though.
    Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

Comment

a 2003 Kat 750 was my first bike, i had absolutely no problems with it.

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Did a few mod's to mine and never looked back. Won't even consider a smaller motor. I did enjoy my YZ 250 but there isn't anywhere to ride in the dirt anymore so the Kat took it's place.
        Last edited by Kfreak; 07-09-2008, 08:36 PM.

Comment

my first street bike is a Kat 750...and i got it about a month ago....already have 800 miles on it.

so far, its been a blast, and frankly, i think its been easy to get used to, and seems to be a fairly forgiving bike when you do something moderately stupid.

everybody told me it was a bad bike to start on, but others said it was perfect...I'm VERY happy with it, as it has enough acceleration to be terrifying, yet stays stable and to me, handles well.

not to mention its comfortable in height, and riding position.

See My Garage for mods...
          T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
          Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

My 05' 750 was my 1st bike and it has been a blast! I too did a lot of research into what bike to go with before the 750 fell in my lap (was looking for a 600). I think the bike is quite forgiving and I not having to worry too much about launching yourself off the back like some other tweaked out 600s doesn't hurt.

My only word of warning is that it is a heavy bike, so I would recommend lots of parking lot work and just start-stop-start-stop till your are 100% sick of it. Also get used to walking backwards, the only time I've almost dropped her was trying to back into a parking space. So good luck and keep your head up.:mrgreen:

Comment

I started on a '92 750.

Only thing that scared me, or really surprised me was the weight of the bike. I think it only seemed fast for about a month and then go use to it.

There are some mods out there that make the kat exceptional I think. Ohlins, z6's, progressive springs, ss lines, hh brake pads, etc.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

06 kat 750 first bike and love it
                2006 Katana 750, Bumble Bee replica
                Bumblee Bee Tuna

Comment

the law of averages says you'll drop the bike somewhere along the learning curve. that's the big reason i recomend a small, light, inexpensive bike to learn on. my '90 750 just seems topheavy, like there's not much forgiveness if she's gonna go over when you're moving her around the garage and driveway etc. and the kickstand seems to like to pop up with little or no warning when she's being moved. make sure your kickstand is firmly and fully down before leaning her over onto it.
                  99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                  1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                  '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                  Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I can't say I haven't dropped mine a time or two. I live down a steep gravel driveway that washes out all the time and turns into traffic...yeah, it's a blast leaving my house. Just the weight of the bike is the hardest thing to get used to. Take your time.
                    sigpic

Comment

'93 750 is my first and current bike.:mrgreen:
                      I agree with the previous posters who say that the bike is heavy.
                      It helps to be able to put both feet firmly on the ground, if you're on tippy toes it makes the bike soo much more difficult to handle.
                      If you are on your toes you'll have a very hard time finding a lowering kit if it's a Pre 98, 98+ are easy to lower.
                      And the first time you are on the highway on a windy day be prepared to be knocked around by the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by Ulik View Post
                        If you are on your toes you'll have a very hard time finding a lowering kit if it's a Pre 98, 98+ are easy to lower....
                        check into neoblie(sp?) he has pre 98 lowering links now.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I own a 99 750 kat for a couple of months. actually I bought it before I had motrocycle drivers licence. I like the bike because the engine is smooth enough to go slow and powerfull enough to go fast.
                          O dropped it once in the garage because i did not chech the side stand was fully extended, and the weight on the bike makes a hard job out of moving the bike around. be carefull were you park you bike, because if you need to pull it uphill...
                          Also be carufull with downshifting. I did it faster then usual a couple of times and the back side slipped.

Comment

well, I restarted on a 750. The only thing I can think of is to learn throttle control... I was out test riding the bike after I put it back together, and I gave it full throttle in 2nd, it like to have thrown my a** off the back.... But I stayed on and respected the bike even more are that... I had an issue with slow turns (below 20) casue of the weight, but since the class and more pratis Not an issue any more. Put 1000 miles on since I put it together and about 300 miles since the class...
                            I did ride my friends gxsr 600, way to light and fast for me right now...
                            Just my 2cent..
                            2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Comment

I looked at Kats for a first bike, but having never ridden street and looking at all that plastic, I decided against it. I settled on a used GS500E ('92 I think) that I could take out to use and abuse without much damage if (not if, when) I dropped it.

When I got bored with the 500 (which took about 1 year and a half) and finally convinced the CMO (Chief of Marriage Operations) (which took another 2 1/2 years), I bought a Y2K 750 and haven't looked back.
                              sigpic
                              Submariners Do It Deeper!

Comment

Working...
                              X